Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pregnancy via Rape = Flat Tire
Pregnancy via Rape = Flat Tire
Getting pregnant via rape is no more of an inconvenience than a flat tire according to Kansas rep. Pete DeGraaf ®

Quote:Rep. Pete DeGraaf, a Mulvane Republican who supports the bill, told her: "We do need to plan ahead, don't we, in life?"

Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with pregnancy?"

DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, "I have a spare tire on my car."

"I also have life insurance," he added. "I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for."

Kansas Rep. Pete DeGraaf: Being impregnated during a rape is just like getting a flat tire

What. A. Scumbag.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: Pregnancy via Rape = Flat Tire
It is an inconvenience comparable to having one's spare tire also flat. Which is a low blow after a tire goes flat.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm a bit confused. Where did he compare rape with a flat tire? It looks like all he did was misinterpret her question to mean accidental pregnancy.

It certainly makes more sense when he goes on to talk about "planning" for the future. How can you plan ahead for a rape? If he was talking about accidental pregnancy, then "planning ahead" does come into it; you can keep a condom in your pocket, go on the pill, etc.

Apologies if I've made some error in reading somewhere, but I just don't see the comparison, rather some kind of misunderstanding.
(May 26, 2011 at 7:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm a bit confused. Where did he compare rape with a flat tire? It looks like all he did was misinterpret her question to mean accidental pregnancy.

It certainly makes more sense when he goes on to talk about "planning" for the future. How can you plan ahead for a rape? If he was talking about accidental pregnancy, then "planning ahead" does come into it; you can keep a condom in your pocket, go on the pill, etc.

Apologies if I've made some error in reading somewhere, but I just don't see the comparison, rather some kind of misunderstanding.

He's saying women should prepare for pregnancy via rape as if it was a minor problem like a spare tire. The entire discussion was concerning pregnancy via rape. There was no misunderstanding about anything.

Quote:Last Friday, Kansas legislators approved a ban on insurance companies offering abortion coverage as part of their general health plans. The one exception: when a woman's life is at risk.

DeGraaf, who is in his first term and who is an associate pastor, also called for banning coverage for abortions of rape pregnancies. (Women could get around this if they purchased separate, "abortion-only policies.")

Another state Rep. thinks the ban shouldn't include pregnancy via rape. DeGraff thinks that all women should prepare for rape-pregnancy like they were buying AAA roadside service. You don't think that is shallow & callous?

Hell, shouldn't you at least be pissed off cause they are "regulating a company"?
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(May 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: He's saying women should prepare for pregnancy via rape as if it was a minor problem like a spare tire. The entire discussion was concerning pregnancy via rape. There was no misunderstanding about anything.
Ah, ok then. Your excerpt didn't make that really clear.
I'm sure he thinks he's a fine xtian. In fact, now that I think about it, he IS a fine xtian. A total scumbag.
I just don't even know how to debate with these people. The Republicans have gone so far to the radical right as to be exploring new, unchartered vistas.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
That reminds me of a supporter of the Christian Democrats (yes, unfortunately we have some of those in our Government, where I come from), who stated that women who get pregnant due to a rape should consider it a blessing, since if they are single, they wouldn't be alone anymore. When asked if he would consider it an equal blessing if it happened to his wife or daughter, he just answered: "My prayers keep them safe."
Two things comes to mind; if his prayers actually can intervene with rapists, shouldn't he, as a "good" Christian, pray for every single girl out there not to get raped and how can anyone be so disturbed and concieted as to actually believe that a woman would want a rape child reminding her of the traumatic event for the rest of the child's life? I loathe idiots like these, who seem to have lost all contact with reality.. '-_-
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

This is why my state is so fucked up. All our politicians (Republicans, since this is a red state) are more concerned with legislating morality than actually balancing the budget or doing anything useful. Phil Kline used the Attorney General's office as his own "let's get Dr. Tiller" headquarters.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(May 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: He's saying women should prepare for pregnancy via rape as if it was a minor problem like a spare tire. The entire discussion was concerning pregnancy via rape. There was no misunderstanding about anything.
Ah, ok then. Your excerpt didn't make that really clear.

Sorry, was kinda expecting folks to just get interested from my blurb & then read the article. Don't want to cause you issues with copyright or anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 1990 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Political debate via meme Foxaèr 287 21857 November 4, 2020 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Punishment for rape in Turkey? Marry your rapist. Mechaghostman2 2 293 January 23, 2020 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So Trump can insult a Gold Star family, brag about rape, brag about molesting kids NuclearEnergy 23 4760 May 7, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  FOX Host Smacks Carson Over Flat Tax Minimalist 6 1187 May 11, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Court Mandated Gang rape downbeatplumb 28 6952 January 25, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  To what extent is a rape victim responsible for the crime? Something completely different 81 22222 October 2, 2013 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Rape sentence reverberates across India pocaracas 27 7570 September 18, 2013 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Violet
  You know what really grinds my gears? RAPE-UBLICANS Mystical 93 45342 September 11, 2013 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf
  What happens when you rape 5 year old in Texas wwjs 7 3254 September 6, 2013 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Isun