Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Err....Little Help, Please?
Err....Little Help, Please?
Well, as some of you who have seen me around the threads may have picked up that I am newly Athiest.
However, I have hit a bit of a rut in the road.
You see, my parents, even though not incredibly Chrisitan, want me to believe in an imaginary God, and are threatining to send me to another school, or place in fact, if I tell them I have become Athiest.
I have tried dropping many hints too them, talking about the reliability of Science, and other Athiest topics. Yet they presistently tell me to believe in God.
How did you guys come out to your parents, and if so what is the best method to use?
Thanks for the help, guys, and tell me if this thread should be in a different area, or if there is a similar thread that I could use.
Once again, thanks!
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” - Stephen Roberts

RE: Err....Little Help, Please?
You: "So, you want me to believe in God do you? Even if you have to force that belief on me rather than allowing me to find my own way in life and supporting and understanding my journey? And it doesn't bother you that in the process you will rob me of a happy childhood and screw up my mind which may ultimately culminate in me leaving home and hating and resenting you both, blaming you for everything?

Well, if you're happy with that then go ahead, but don't blame me if it all ends in disaster. At least you'll be able to look back on this and say, this was the worst parenting decision of our lives!"
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Take up a discussion of UFO's, or ghosts.

I presume they do not believe in either of them without empirical evidence.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
(May 31, 2011 at 6:06 am)Anymouse Wrote: Take up a discussion of UFO's, or ghosts.

I presume they do not believe in either of them without empirical evidence.

Won't work because they have all the evidence they need. It's called The Bible Undecided
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Have become as though this is new? How very fascinating.

My recommendation when dealing with parents based solely on my experiences? Lie, and don't for a moment feel guilty or secure enough to speak the truth: it always bites you in the ass.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 31, 2011 at 5:36 am)Taylor Wrote: Well, as some of you who have seen me around the threads may have picked up that I am newly Athiest.
You see, my parents, even though not incredibly Chrisitan, want me to believe in an imaginary God, and are threatining to send me to another school, or place in fact, if I tell them I have become Athiest.
I have tried dropping many hints too them, talking about the reliability of Science, and other Athiest topics. Yet they presistently tell me to believe in God.
How did you guys come out to your parents, and if so what is the best method to use?
Thanks for the help, guys, and tell me if this thread should be in a different area, or if there is a similar thread that I could use.
Once again, thanks!

Some variation on this maybe? http://atheistforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26936
If you think for a minute it will cause strife (fighting that will result in you being sent to an indoctrination facility) then I would advise leaving it till you're independant. I think the discomfort you feel at not being able to maturely discuss beliefs and lack of beliefs with your parents (which is their fault not yours) is comparatively little when compared to the discomfort you will feel at being emotionally rejected and being forced to change schools (not to mention the complete waste of time the indoctrination will be, time which could be much better studying or relaxing). It's the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

If they aren't that christian apart from making sure you are, there isn't much point is there? I myself waited till independance was already achieved, and havent told some extended parts of the family (Cause it might break their hearts). To some the concept of hell is very real and the idea that people, let alone loved ones are going there, is unbearable, might be kinder to keep it to yourself in some cases (as with my extended family).
My mother is a devout christian, and I know it would cause her immeasurable grief to think that one of her children is not going to heaven. So I pretend, for her sake. It's a little white lie that makes her happy, and does me no harm. When dealing with people who are unwilling to be rational, it is sometimes better to go along, to get along, particularly if you have to live under their roof.
(May 31, 2011 at 6:14 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Have become as though this is new? How very fascinating.

My recommendation when dealing with parents based solely on my experiences? Lie, and don't for a moment feel guilty or secure enough to speak the truth: it always bites you in the ass.

I would agree with this way to go. When you are of age, they can whine all they want, but you are then an adult who can make up his/her own mind. Then, if you feel that they need to know, tell them, and if they don't like it, well, they are just going to have to live with it.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(May 31, 2011 at 5:36 am)Taylor Wrote: Well, as some of you who have seen me around the threads may have picked up that I am newly Athiest.

Tell them ... and start enjoying your new-found attention.

Being openly atheistic in a christian high school and church is tantamount to being a rock star.
Classmates and youth group members spend all their spare time attempting to convert you back to the flock, and yet secretly the opposite sex thinks you're a bad-ass. Openly debating your youth group pastor is fantastic and as long as you never curse and remain rational at all times, you'll come out on top.

Meanwhile if you respond with kind, pleasant well-thought responses and continue to point out the hundreds of Biblical contradictions to all of them you may just find what I did. That you will begin to pull a few of those people over to your side.
I'm no longer a true atheist, but I understand it and although it can be difficult at first - there are perks to this lack of religion.

[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3422 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24443 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2528 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  I told my little girl about angels yesterday... Jehanne 44 10757 September 6, 2017 at 11:23 am
Last Post: mordant
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5393 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Please correct me where I am wrong Won2blv 35 6784 May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 64981 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I need a lttle help with a few questions please Guesto123 17 3245 January 21, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Natachan
Exclamation Can someone explain this to me..? please... dyresand 3 1432 November 5, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11336 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4