Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony

Quote:The Texas attorney general called the ruling unconstitutional and a blatant attack from those who do not believe in God -- “attempts by atheists and agnostics to use courts to eliminate from the public landscape any and all references to God whatsoever.”

“This is the challenge we are dealing with here,” he said. “(It’s) an ongoing attempt to purge God from the public setting while at the same time demanding from the courts an increased yielding to all things atheist and agnostic.”

I, personally, do think the judge went way too far here:

Quote:Should a student violate the order, school district officials could find themselves in legal trouble. Judge Biery ordered that his ruling be “enforced by incarceration or other sanctions for contempt of Court if not obeyed by District official (sic) and their agents.”

Students aren't government employees & should not be held to this. This isn't separation of church & state, it is trampling on the 1st Amendment. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a huge fiasco.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony
Quote:“Part of this goes to the very heart of the unraveling of moral values in this country,” Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott

And once again we see that xtian assholes think their sky-daddy is a source of morality when in fact they have been murdering fucks ever since they got the power to do so. Nonetheless, I see no practical way that non-employees of the school district can be compelled to not be religious assholes. It is one thing to rule out the district from bringing in all sorts of Holy Joes to preach to the captive audience but quite another to tell a student or commencement speaker what the content of their speech may be. It is only the government ( or any subsidiary agency such as a school district ) which may not establish a preference for one religion over another. Private citizens are not bound by it.

Of course, it is a FOX news story so who knows what the real facts of the case are. You sure as shit aren't going to get them from FOX.
I agree that barring students from doing so violates the 1st amendment, but the hoopla over this is just another example of Christians interpreting the 'freedom of religion' clause to mean freedom to be whatever kind of Christian you want to be.

Minimalist Wrote:And once again we see that xtian assholes think their sky-daddy is a source of morality when in fact they have been murdering fucks ever since they got the power to do so.

Don't you know that without the fear of going to hell, we atheists have no morals, and that our only goal in life is the rid the world of these morals that would not exist without Christianity? Which reminds me that I have a baby baking in the oven and need to take it out. I don't want that tender meat to get to dried out.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yeah - but when xtians fuck up they have a built in get out of hell free card because their sky-daddy pats them on the head and tells them that everything is just peachy keen.

No wonder they suck so much.
Is it me or are these people hell bent on sending the community, even the whole country back to a time where any lack of belief was to be met with being burnt at the stake?

Are these religious nuts trying to force people to pray or something? They're already trying to force their shit down people's throats, but I can't help but wonder, how far do they plan to take this?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Attempting to give a damn...

Damn not given.

I really really do miss the Dotard... he should come back from wherever her went Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:The judge did grant students permission to make the sign of the cross, wear religious garb or kneel to face Mecca. But that’s not good enough for some students at the high school.

You see, it's never enough. Their god has to be everywhere. The judge clearly made allowances for personal religious freedom.

I don't think this hurts the First Amendment at all. If a White Supremacists student demanded the right to say, "I hate niggers" under protection of the First Amendment it would not be tolerated at a school function. The same goes for other people's strong-held opinions/beliefs. What's good for one is good for everybody! Imagine if a Buddhist demanded prayers and offerings be represented in equal parts at his graduation. Eventually every absurd religious claim would have to be upheld to present a fair and unbiased graduation ceremony. The whole event would become a religious fiasco.

I fully support the judge's decision. Keep your religion personal .... the rest of us shouldn't have to fucking hear it!
[Image: Evolution.png]

(June 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: Which reminds me that I have a baby baking in the oven and need to take it out. I don't want that tender meat to get to dried out.

[Image: FAT%20BASTARD.jpg]

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Quote:What's good for one is good for everybody!

Xtians think they are fucking special. They get to cram jesus up everyone's asshole but fuck anyone else who wants to promote their version of the invisible sky-daddy.
(June 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm)Jaysyn Wrote:
Quote:Should a student violate the order, school district officials could find themselves in legal trouble. Judge Biery ordered that his ruling be “enforced by incarceration or other sanctions for contempt of Court if not obeyed by District official (sic) and their agents.”

Students aren't government employees & should not be held to this. This isn't separation of church & state, it is trampling on the 1st Amendment. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a huge fiasco.

Here is where you've misinterpreted the ruling - a student who speaks at graduation is selected by government employees et al to represent them. As such, it is reasonable to assume that the school will take necessary steps (like prescreening) so as to best select someone to speak at the school's official function. Ergo, the school is one that is taking responsibility over what is said in it's name.

In addition, the federal judge may have also attached the penalties that he did in anticipation that the school or other parties may try to subvert the ruling anyways.

Also, while a private individual has the rights to represent themself however they wish to, if you are under the jurisdiction or employ of someone else, what you say can be taken as representative of not yourself, but the organization.

TL;DR- they're not punishing students - they're punishing the actions taken by students under the name of the school district.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4372 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 4235 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Voting Machines Switching Votes in Texas ReptilianPeon 5 941 October 31, 2018 at 8:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Judge Tells The WLB to Go Fuck Himself Minimalist 0 869 October 25, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Maybe Kavanaugh will be the next liberal SCOTUS judge?? Jehanne 10 1372 October 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  PBS CEO Warns That Federal Cuts will Sink Some Stations c172 10 1698 August 1, 2017 at 1:54 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pence Defends Trump’s Criticism of Judge Who Blocked Travel Ban Foxaèr 3 832 February 5, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ah....Ze Mexican Judge Steeks Eet Up Drumpf's Ass Again Minimalist 0 664 August 30, 2016 at 5:43 pm
  Oh Texas! Thump, how do you bear it? Whateverist 15 1582 August 24, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Judge Recommends Criminal Charges Against Sheriff Shitstain Minimalist 2 916 August 20, 2016 at 12:01 am