Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun with the Bible
Fun with the Bible
I am currently reading through passages of the Bible. I hope to find the ridiculous differences in the Old Testament and the New. But as I was reading parts of the New Testament I stumbled upon extremely disturbing passages:

for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying “Peace and safety”, destruction will come upon them suddenly, as labour pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. 1 Thessalonians 5: 2, 3

I fail to see the loving and merciful God that the Christians portray him as. I read on to find a few verses that contradict the idea that many modern Christians hold; that men and women are equal in the eyes of God:

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
1 Timothy 3: 12-14

Many people will recognise these ideals from Islam and not realise that their own bullshit dogma teaches this. I have had people refute points like this by saying that this is pertaining and relevant to the time it was written and does not apply in today’s society. However, again I see the mistake that many theists make every time in religious discourse; cherry picking. Many Christians will gladly dismiss this passage due to the time it was written but will still oppress the gay community even though Jesus said nothing of homosexuals (there are parts that Christians say can be linked with it but I fail to see it). The scripture regarding “lying next to another man” was written centuries before this.

Anyway, as I read on I just find more and more disgusting verses and am wondering if this is the morality that you gain from your God, then why is it you condemn things that the teachings you follow say are OK?

I have found some pretty dodgy stuff in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, but I shall not post those at this moment in time.

Cunt
RE: Fun with the Bible
"Fun" and "Bible":two words that don't belong in the same sentence.

The Bible is rife with bullshit, starting with the first word and ending with the last.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
(June 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm)Rhage Wrote: "Fun" and "Bible":two words that don't belong in the same sentence.

The Bible is rife with bullshit, starting with the first word and ending with the last.

It is definitely worth the read though. I am actually enjoying it... kind of.

It is however the biggest load of shit out there. I would happily accept Harry Potter to be a truth before the Bible... it is actually far more believable...
No plot holes Wink
Cunt
(June 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm)frankiej Wrote:
(June 7, 2011 at 3:39 pm)Rhage Wrote: "Fun" and "Bible":two words that don't belong in the same sentence.

It is however the biggest load of shit out there. I would happily accept Harry Potter to be a truth before the Bible... it is actually far more believable...
No plot holes Wink

Thou dissembler.

Dost thou not know, H. Potter is the lord.
He used his power to make J.K.Rowling to write his word, even unto paper. Yet he gave her not the knowledge for she was woman.

Unto me last November 12 did he appear and spake of these things.
Tune in next week. amen
Angel Cloud ROFLOL Cool Shades
hmm... I read a couple of verses earlier, I think it was from leviticus...

I can't be bothered typing them all out unless someone requires me to do so, but it seems to me that for being homosexual or for commiting adultery you should be killed... however if you commit beastiality or as some may say, inter-species erotica, you are merely banished from peers...

Compared to gays and cheaters, the people of Aberdeen have it relatively easy Tongue
Cunt
(June 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm)colubridae Wrote:
(June 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm)frankiej Wrote:

No plot holes Wink

Thou dissembler.

Dost thou not know, H. Potter is the lord.
He used his power to make J.K.Rowling to write his word, even unto paper. Yet he gave her not the knowledge for she was woman.

Unto me last November 12 did he appear and spake of these things.
Tune in next week. amen
Angel Cloud ROFLOL Cool Shades

p.s. I was only joking about the woman/knowledge thingy. Joke

Yep...greatest story ever sold

[attachment=530]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Sorry to break it to you frankiej, but I and I imagine most atheists are well familiar with those verses. Hang around on atheist internet forums for a while and you'll see someone trot them out as examples of biblical injustice. The difference between we atheists and Christians is that we atheists have read that stuff and rejected it, while Christians tend to never have read it and accept it. And when it's pointed out to them, they try to explain it away somehow.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I don't know who this guy is but im pretty sure he's onto something groundbreaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuS2DPnU4ds
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
I came on this post expecting a video of someone playing football with a book. What a disappointment.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7600 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Fun with theists in restaurants. Gawdzilla Sama 25 3921 April 4, 2017 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Buddhism, against having fun. CapnAwesome 58 20840 December 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Anyone want to have some fun debunking this crap? Ziploc Surprise 3 1934 October 13, 2012 at 12:02 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Have some fun dying... Rokcet Scientist 4 1638 February 1, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Who thinks the debates are getting more fun and wild? Edwardo Piet 6 3943 November 3, 2008 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet