Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Buddhism, against having fun.
Buddhism, against having fun.
Now Buddhism is a large and complicated religion, with many sects and different beliefs. One of those is 'western Buddhism' which from the conversations I've had with dreadlocked hippy Buddhists, doesn't seem to mean particularly much. That is one of the reason that it is annoying for me to attack Buddhism.

The second reason I think other Atheists and I don't particularly attack Buddhism is that it's like being bothered by an annoying homeless person when there are two face eating zombies (Christianity and Islam) right next door. Nevertheless there are some things anyone who claims to adhere to Buddhism simply cannot escape, such as the 10 precepts of Buddhism, laid down by, ya know, the Buddha.

Quote:The first five precepts are mandatory for every Buddhist, although the fifth precept is often not observed, because it bans the consumption of alcohol. Precepts no. six to ten are laid out for those in preparation for monastic life and for devoted lay people unattached to families. The eight precepts put together number eight and nine and omit the tenth. Lay people may observe the eight precepts on Buddhist festival days. Ordained Theravada monks undertake no less than 227 precepts, which are not listed here.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from ...

...harming living beings.
...taking things not freely given.
...sexual misconduct.
...false speech.
...intoxicating drinks and drugs causing heedlessness.
...taking untimely meals.
...dancing, singing, music and watching grotesque mime.
...use of garlands, perfumes and personal adornment.
...use of high seats.
...accepting gold or silver.

(adapted from The Word of the Buddha, Niyamatolika, The Buddhist Publication Society, 1971, p xii)

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/precepts.html

Well fuck you Buddha. What exactly do you have against having fun? Unless you accept the supernatural idea of enlightenment, this is a total waste of your life. Dancing and singing? is this really harmful to anyone Sexual misconduct and a prohibition against intoxication are mandatory. I wonder if every dreadlocked hippy who claims to be a Buddhist is even aware of this. The rest are either silly and pointless, like use of high seats or garlands, or just common sense morality, like not stealing. Overall the ten precepts of Buddhism are either not special, harmful, or just silly.

Oh by the way, according to the Dahli Lama, homosexuality falls under sexual misconduct. Buddhist apologists will excuse this by saying that the Dahli Lama has also said that violence against homosexuals is wrong. Wow, if that is the criteria for not being a homophobe, the pope isn't one either.

"From a Buddhist point of view, lesbian and gay sex is generally considered sexual misconduct." Dalai Lama 1997: During at a press conference

You can also read all about the various interpretations of the Buddhist definition of sexual misconduct. http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_budd2.htm
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Buddhism, against having fun.
I don't attack Buddhism on grounds similar to yours. I can "admire" traits of a Buddhist more easily than that of a Christian.

The Dalai Lama is not such a bad guy is he? Does he molest kids like the pope? Does he attempt to hold back the pursuit of knowledge? No to both. Its actually quite the opposite:

‎"If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change." -The Dalai Lama

You would never(arguably) hear those words coming from a Christian
(December 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm)SpecUVdust Wrote: ‎"If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change." -The Dalai Lama

You know why I don't actually respect that quote, because lo and behold science never does in his eyes. I mean some Christians claim the same thing, but that any science that disagrees with them isn't real science. Of course I think Buddhism makes less scientific claims than Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
Interesting. Perhaps I have a misplaced "acceptance" of Buddhism. I'll research.
Meh. The day that Buddhists start doing shit like going door to door spreading the good news, or attempting to influence public policy where I live is the day I'll give a rat's ass about the bullshit that they believe. Until then, I'm perfectly happy to live and let live.
There is a difference between a monk and a lay person. Monks have all sorts of rules.

In terms of "having fun", Vajrayana was founded by the Mahasiddhas who drank, fucked, gambled, consorted with prostitutes etc.

In Vajrayana, you must eat meat, drink alcohol etc. in ganachakra. Tibetan Buddhism is the main surviving branch of Indian Vajrayana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahasiddha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstH-8jwa80
Nemo me impune lacessit.
I shook the Lama's hands at a conference in Amsterdam, which means the bhagwan is tolerant.
(December 16, 2012 at 4:49 am)Dee Dee Ramone Wrote: I shook the Lama's hands at a conference in Amsterdam, which means the bhagwan is tolerant.

Must be true, I made out with the pope once. I think he is tolerant too.
The Pope is not the equivalent to the Dalai Lama.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Buddhism is pro intellectualism? Woah0 5 642 September 6, 2022 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12195 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  In Buddhism Where Will Souls Go if they Haven''t Reached Nirvana Before the Sun Dies? Rhondazvous 11 2089 November 21, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: LuisDantas
  Fun with theists in restaurants. Gawdzilla Sama 25 3909 April 4, 2017 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Zen Buddhism LivingNumbers6.626 69 8317 July 10, 2016 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Christians invade Buddhism BlackSwordsman 6 1758 May 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: archangle
  Having trouble wording my response... InevitableCheese 7 2079 December 30, 2013 at 3:37 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  The Problem We are having With Religion Big Blue Sky 9 2994 August 30, 2013 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Anyone want to have some fun debunking this crap? Ziploc Surprise 3 1928 October 13, 2012 at 12:02 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Having Far More Respect For Beliefs Of Non Judeo Christian Theists Xavier 22 12354 February 26, 2012 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger