Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yukon fossils represent a pivotal moment in evolution
Yukon fossils represent a pivotal moment in evolution
Boswell, Randy (2011, June 11). "Yukon fossils represent a pivotal moment in evolution." Postmedia News.

A Canadian mountaintop has yielded hundreds of microscopic fossils representing, more clearly than ever before, a pivotal moment in evolution: the birth of biomineralization, a critical development for animal life that eventually allowed organisms—including humans—to exploit the Earth's elemental ingredients to create bones, teeth or protective shells.

A team of U.S. and British scientists led by Phoebe Cohen ... probed microfossils previously excavated ... [from] exposed rock layers formed about 800 million years ago. Created from the sediments of a shallow, oxygen-starved sea, the Yukon rocks have preserved the remains of armour-like mineral plates manufactured by an ancient species of single-celled eukaryotes ...

"These fossils represent the oldest definitive evidence of active biomineralization—that is, of an organism taking in a mineral and making a hard part out of it (as opposed to precipitating a mineral on its outside, a sort of passive process)," Cohen said ... "There are other pieces of evidence that are similar in age, but are less conclusive than these (Yukon) fossils."

Canada's great geological diversity—including some of the world's oldest rocks and vast tracts of exposed fossils—attracts many international researchers working to record the story of evolution as it unfolded at microscopic scale in the dawning era of life.

Read more, http://www.canada.com/technology/Yukon+f...z1P4Tejrt2
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
RE: Yukon fossils represent a pivotal moment in evolution
Great post.

Always nice to meet a theist who understands the importance of Biology.
i'll second that. nice post.
Something of importance comes from a canadian mountaintop? That's almost as nonsensical as it coming from Alaska.

Hi Ryft Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Thanks for sharing ...and of course evolution is real ... I mean, how much more evidence do religious people need to believe in that?
As long as we are talking about fossils....this one could blow the Out of Africa crowd out of the water.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/...uman_genus

Quote:Early members of the genus Homo, possibly direct ancestors of people today, may have evolved in Asia and then gone to Africa, not vice versa as many scientists have assumed.

Most paleoanthropologists have favored an African origin for the potential human ancestor Homo erectus. But new evidence shows the species occupied a West Asian site called Dmanisi from 1.85 million to 1.77 million years ago, at the same time or slightly before the earliest evidence of this humanlike species in Africa, say geologist Reid Ferring of the University of North Texas in Denton and his colleagues.
(June 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: As long as we are talking about fossils, this one could blow the Out of Africa crowd out of the water ... [snip rest]

As evidence builds, theories are refined or replaced. I am not particularly married to the out-of-Africa theory so it would not be too devastating to find out that it is wrong. It has never quite added up right for me anyway so I have always been open to a better theory. Thanks for the link to this.
(Oscar Wilde)
I don't understand. How does that work with Adam and Eve?

Wait. Was the garden of eden in Canada!??! When does the rib story come into play??

Cool Shades *broken sarcasm filter* good post.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(June 12, 2011 at 9:44 pm)Cinjin Wrote: I don't understand. How does that work with Adam and Eve?

Cute. Anyway, since you are new here (joined 3 March 2011) you are probably unaware that I reject young-earth creationism. (I will not get into that discussion here, but simply note it for your sake, so you don't put me in categories I do not belong in.)
(Oscar Wilde)
(June 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm)Ryft Wrote:
(June 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: As long as we are talking about fossils, this one could blow the Out of Africa crowd out of the water ... [snip rest]

As evidence builds, theories are refined or replaced. I am not particularly married to the out-of-Africa theory so it would not be too devastating to find out that it is wrong. It has never quite added up right for me anyway so I have always been open to a better theory. Thanks for the link to this.

I do not think it is impossible that convergent evolution may have happened in the span of human history as well. Why couldn't we have humans in Asia and Africa, evolving separately, but filling the same ecological niche? Obviously, unlike other convergent species, we have covered the globe, so there is no need for more than one human species on Earth any longer. However, that does not mean that it did not start that way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transitional Forms/Fossils QuackeryDetection 15 1849 November 12, 2022 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Creationist finds fossils, still not convinced zebo-the-fat 16 4214 May 31, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Worom
  AF's very own list of Transitional Fossils Duke Guilmon 21 10716 December 3, 2014 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30318 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Transitional fossils FallentoReason 28 16812 May 7, 2012 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Jovian
  Fossils foot bones hint at mystery walker frankiej 21 9548 March 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Lost Darwin Fossils Rediscovered frankiej 5 3288 January 17, 2012 at 10:55 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Two Million Year Old Whale Fossils Discovered in Driest Desert Erinome 11 4655 November 22, 2011 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Malapa Fossils Minimalist 2 1785 July 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist