Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malapa Fossils
Malapa Fossils
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/0...chman-text

Quote:ee Berger thinks the cradle is about to rock again. He believes Malapa may hold the key to one of the most significant, least understood chapters in the human evolutionary journey: the origin of the first species enough like us to be called human—a member of the genus Homo.

"This is where that story may have begun," he says, as he starts the climb out of the pit.

At an international gathering of anthropologists in Minneapolis this past April, Berger and his colleagues laid out arguments for why the Malapa species, known as Australopithecus sediba, may represent an intermediate form between the primitive australopiths and our genus, Homo. The evidence they point to includes an australopith's little brain (with some curiously modern features), apelike shoulders, and arms adapted to climbing in trees—attached to a bizarrely modern hand with the precision grip of a toolmaker. According to the researchers, the adult female's foot presents an even odder melange; her mostly modern ankle is connected to a heel bone more primitive than that of A. afarensis—Lucy's species—which is at least a million years older.

And there shall be much gnashing of teeth and beating of breasts in creationist shitholes this evening!
RE: Malapa Fossils
I read about that, was a good find. Stirred up some controversy re their suggestion that it could be a transitional species. Mostly due to their being slightly older H. fossils than this A. fossil (H. Rudolfensis at approx 2.5my for example).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Malapa Fossils
Somewhere, Ken Ham is clutching an animatronic dinosaur and shouting "I BELIEVE, LORD.......I BELIEVE!

Douchebag.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transitional Forms/Fossils QuackeryDetection 15 1851 November 12, 2022 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Creationist finds fossils, still not convinced zebo-the-fat 16 4217 May 31, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Worom
  AF's very own list of Transitional Fossils Duke Guilmon 21 10728 December 3, 2014 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Transitional fossils FallentoReason 28 16818 May 7, 2012 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Jovian
  Fossils foot bones hint at mystery walker frankiej 21 9548 March 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Lost Darwin Fossils Rediscovered frankiej 5 3290 January 17, 2012 at 10:55 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Two Million Year Old Whale Fossils Discovered in Driest Desert Erinome 11 4656 November 22, 2011 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Yukon fossils represent a pivotal moment in evolution Ryft 37 13265 June 18, 2011 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Shell B