Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good morning.
Good morning.
Good morning to you.

I always feel a little dishonest lurking around forums without taking part, or at least introducing myself. So hello, good morning, I'm Royston. I'm a musician, but that's not important right now.

I don't believe in any gods, but I couldn't help noticing that every society and civilisation has some form of religion, and if not they seem to have personality cults like Mao or Lenin in their place. Gods and religions seem to serve some purpose, which is what really interests me. Attempting to start a conversation about it usually ends badly, however: religious people try to 'save' me; and skeptics and scientists deride me for my irrationality.

Hopefully I will get on a bit better having that conversation here.
"I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw." ~ Hamlet, Act II, Scene II.

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
RE: Good morning.
(June 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm)Royston Wrote: Good morning to you.

I always feel a little dishonest lurking around forums without taking part, or at least introducing myself. So hello, good morning, I'm Royston. I'm a musician, but that's not important right now.

I don't believe in any gods, but I couldn't help noticing that every society and civilisation has some form of religion, and if not they seem to have personality cults like Mao or Lenin in their place. Gods and religions seem to serve some purpose, which is what really interests me. Attempting to start a conversation about it usually ends badly, however: religious people try to 'save' me; and skeptics and scientists deride me for my irrationality.

Hopefully I will get on a bit better having that conversation here.

Ah, so that was you.
I've often had the feeling someone is lurking, furtively watching as I type, just out of view.
Welcome, it is better we have you where we can see you.

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
Quote:I don't believe in any gods,

See, Cinj? That's enough to tell me that we have a rational person here and not another religious shitwit.

Big Grin
(June 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I don't believe in any gods,

See, Cinj? That's enough to tell me that we have a rational person here and not another religious shitwit.

Big Grin

I agree ONE HUNDRED percent Min. Absolutely. This IS yet another quality introduction.

Welcome!
[Image: Evolution.png]

I'm glad you felt dishonest, as you were dishonest. But now that you are honest: you are no longer dishonest.

Which means that we have to watch out for you.

Welcome...
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I thought that not everything needed to have a purpose (In terms of evolution), evolutionary byproducts and what-have-you. It will have a reason why it exists, but no real purpose itself
Hello Royston. Welcome to the forum. I hope that you like this place and please do not hate on me. Tongue
Wasup Tongue . I never did get why people lurked in forum's, what's the point in reading other people's conversation's if your not going to throw your thought's into the mix?
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Thanks for all the welcomes. I will probably lurk a bit more, but at least I have introduced myself now.
(June 13, 2011 at 3:07 am)Rayaan Wrote: ...please do not hate on me. Tongue
I don't do hate. Far too negative for me. I don't believe in any gods myself, but I have no problem with those who do believe, after all there are a lot of you out there, aren't there?

"I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw." ~ Hamlet, Act II, Scene II.

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Morning! PaperSun 4 159 March 28, 2024 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hello & Good Morning unsapien 21 2968 May 27, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Morning all! I'm a newbie! chelsea-gem 7 2048 April 19, 2015 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Exian
  Good Morning! (...well, it's morning here anyway) Lewligan 13 2511 June 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Morning! Mononoke 30 6161 April 8, 2013 at 6:31 am
Last Post: Mononoke
  Good morning, and in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night! Kirbmarc 16 5590 October 29, 2012 at 4:05 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Good morning Vietnam (and whoever else is reading) The Omnissiunt One 11 2690 March 7, 2010 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Good morning Godless! Drosophila 10 2968 November 16, 2009 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Violet