Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:56 am

Poll: Regarding introductions ...
This poll is closed.
I agree.
40.00%
2 40.00%
Nope, I like long winded, highly verbose introductions with lots of philosphies and beliefs in them.
60.00%
3 60.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying HELLO
Exclamation 
Saying HELLO
Hello,
My name is Cinjin and I just signed up today to your cool forums. I am mostly interested in religious debate, but I like to dabble in a little of every subject.

My profile will show the general nature of my religious beliefs and I’ll leave the rest to those who would rather wait for the inevitable discovery.

This site appears to be a real melting pot of personalities and I look forward to the interesting points of view, perhaps some verbal sparring, clever banter, and some good laughs with future friends.

Thanx, Cinjin.

That is an example of how a new member can make an acceptable fucking introduction!!
No, it doesn’t have to be exact … but no one wants your dissertation on whatever religious doctrine or metaphysical bull shit you happen to find significant. Just say hello for gods sake!

christ!

(my apologies, I’ve been wanting to say that one for awhile now – and not take it out on anyone in particular)
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Saying HELLO
Neither option applies to me. I think that people should just introduce themselves how they see fit. It is not as if we have to read their intro posts to say hello and welcome.
(June 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm)Shell B Wrote: Neither option applies to me. I think that people should just introduce themselves how they see fit. It is not as if we have to read their intro posts to say hello and welcome.

To a point - I agree, absolutely ... and many are just fine.

... but a handful of them are annoying as hell - I won't mention names since I don't want to spite someone who isn't here, but it's getting god damn ridiculous the amount of shit that we all end up putting up with these days.

I like enough information to tell me if I should make a snap judgement if they are reasonable or just another theistic asswipe.

That can be done quite simply, actually.
Exactly my point Min ... enough information, not a report on how much your god loves us all despite our "wicked ways."

EDIT: You'll notice the introduction I gave above does indeed have information and what not in there. I'm not saying no one should speak and be interesting.

Well....anybody who believes in the invisible sky-daddy is automatically relegated to the ASSWIPE pile without much further thought.
(June 12, 2011 at 11:43 pm)Cinjin Wrote: but it's getting god damn ridiculous the amount of shit that we all end up putting up with these days.

I guess my point is that we don't have to "put up" with it at all. Those who wish to read can do so. Those who don't are under no obligations. I have found some of them to be interesting and others to be dull. I make it a point never to read something if it bores me.

(June 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(June 12, 2011 at 11:43 pm)Cinjin Wrote: but it's getting god damn ridiculous the amount of shit that we all end up putting up with these days.

I guess my point is that we don't have to "put up" with it at all. Those who wish to read can do so. Those who don't are under no obligations. I have found some of them to be interesting and others to be dull. I make it a point never to read something if it bores me.

Another valid point.

However, I'm guessing - like me, you've gotten sucked into at least a couple of debates you could've done without, for this exact reason. I can think of a possible one right off hand.

And I guess that's all I'm sayin. To your credit (the mods), we bend the rules a lot here and I just wanted to vent a little about the stupidity of some people.
Certainly not all.

(June 12, 2011 at 11:57 pm)Cinjin Wrote: However, I'm guessing - like me, you've gotten sucked into at least a couple of debates you could've done without, for this exact reason. I can think of a possible one right off hand.

You are absolutely right.

(June 12, 2011 at 11:57 pm)Cinjin Wrote: And I guess that's all I'm sayin. To your credit (the mods), we bend the rules a lot here and I just wanted to vent a little about the stupidity of some people. Certainly not all.

I completely encourage that. I say vent away, never about a specific person, of course. My post was not at all to discourage you from your venting, only to answer your question. Big Grin

I agree with you, Cinjin, in that I tend to like shorter and simpler introductions (but not too short like one or two lines). But if people want to give more info about themselves, then that's also fine.

Some members will give too little info, some will give too much info, while others will give just the right amount that you're looking for. Some people can still make an interesting intro post even though it may be a little long. Sometimes they have their own conversion stories, and that's why they may want to include it in their introduction thread instead of making another thread in the Convert's Corner section. But again, I don't really care too much about the introduction because what is more valuable to me are their future participation. Just make an introduction thread at least.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm not saying I'm Jesus... earmuffs 17 1007 October 31, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi.... TonyPhotographer 11 1598 November 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Saying hello for the 1st time ThePrimeSingularity 15 2582 November 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New(ish) guy saying hi What_the?! 16 2815 October 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  New Member saying hello from Texas Caveman 10 3511 August 16, 2013 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Fruity
  Lifelong Atheist Saying Hello Hijiri Byakuren 13 2624 August 2, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Saying "Hi" WitchSabrina 27 5524 February 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Just saying hi... Captain Jack Zodiac 11 1856 August 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: MountOlympus
  Just saying hi nous 5 1395 July 27, 2012 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Saying hi JudgeDracoAmunRa 9 2527 January 11, 2012 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Napoléon