Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain Training Doesn't Work
Brain Training Doesn't Work
Metro: Brain Training ‘Doesn’t Work’

Quote:It's a perfect excuse for owning a handheld video console: 'I'm not playing computer games, I'm brain training!'

But do Dr Kawashima et al actually enhance learning or memory? Er, no.

Experts have concluded there is no evidence to back up claims that electronic puzzles such as Nintendo's Dr Kawa-shima's Brain Training boost memory.

[Read Rest Of Article Here]

I admit when my daughter and wife got really hooked on this on the Nintendo DS and totally trounced me (I just don't think that fast) I had reservation because I'm not thick, just need time to react and consider things ... seemed to me it just showed you're just good at some things but didn't prove you were at others.

Suffice it to say I'm not overly surprised that there's no empirical support for the "smarter" claims.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Brain Training Doesn't Work
Yeah. Makes sense. I can believe it. I don't see how it would work anyway? Its all so fast - how would that improve your memory anymore than doing everyday tasks that you've been doing for years anyway? I don't get it. Supposed to work. I can imagine if it works that it wouldn't do much.

And since people do everyday tasks anyway then their memory might be kind of at the limit anyway. At least short term? How do you improve your memory other than trying to remember things? If there is a way I would like to know! I want to improve my memory for REAL lol.

What I think is weird is that IQ tests - despite highly intelligent people often have higher IQs that the stupider people! - aren't perfect.

Because I don't believe memory is intelligence. Intelligence is intelligently using resources or thinking things through, etc, etc.

I don't think memorizing facts is good intelligence for example. You could memorize loads of facts but have no idea what they mean. Or you could memorize them all AND what they mean but be completely lacking in common sense!

I mean parrots repeat many things that have said before but is that intelligence?!

Maybe being intelligent makes you more likely to have a good memory. But I don't think having a good memory counts as intelligence, for example.

I would agree with Leonardo Da Vinci here: "Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but rather memory."

The significantly relevant part, I think, - being that I also think intellect and memory are separate things!

If you start losing your memory are you suddenly stupid? You might act stupid have more difficulty functioning - but forgetting things doesn't mean you don't know them (they might come back to you later. Just takes you a lot longer than others because you have a bad memory), or can't think intelligently.

If you can't remember stuff on Brain Training, whether it works or not, that doesn't make you stupid. You can be highly intelligent but have a bad memory! You can have a great memory but be really stupid.

You could have a brilliant memory, but you could remember loads of things easily but not understand them or even be capable of understanding them!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus doesn't like moderate christians purplepurpose 8 451 August 25, 2022 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Nobody wants to work anymore Foxaèr 92 6581 October 29, 2021 at 11:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can't get the link to work here but. Brian37 21 1401 July 29, 2021 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: no one
  Homemade Quotes, "ABBA sucks, doesn't count." Brian37 37 2420 May 21, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The queen doesn't half talk some shit Cod 11 2090 December 26, 2018 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  It doesn't inspire confidence onlinebiker 5 806 October 12, 2018 at 11:55 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Any photographers in Louisiana looking for work? popeyespappy 0 546 September 21, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Brain Frying, IT, Stalkers WinterHold 26 3435 January 24, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why Did Dante Title His Work The Divine Comedy? Rhondazvous 10 3240 August 30, 2017 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is time travel Impossible Because time Doesn't Exist? budsa11 62 8873 August 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet