Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being offended?
Being offended?
IS it no true that in most cases the one being offended or the "offendee" places the fault on the offender? This is not a logical reaction and here's why: Being offended is somewhat of a personal preference. Certain things offend certain people, and certain things offend people and don't offend others. The quote "Nobody can offend without your consent" is a perfect example. It is not the offenders fault that the offendee was offended. The only reason the offendee is offended is because they allow themselves to be offended. Therefore the blame cannot be placed on the "offender".
-Only with the ultimate knowledge of all things will man have come to know himself. For things are but the boundaries of man. -> Friedrich Nietzsche

Atheist

RE: Being offended?
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?'

- Stephen Fry.

Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(June 23, 2011 at 4:24 am)leo-rcc Wrote: 'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?'

- Stephen Fry.

Exactly! Maybe they have a right in there own little world. But here on Earth, nobody gives a fuck.
-Only with the ultimate knowledge of all things will man have come to know himself. For things are but the boundaries of man. -> Friedrich Nietzsche

Atheist

Blame for an event is shared among all that which came together to create the event.

Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The Cult of Victimhood is one of the fastest growing religions in the world.
So long as the perceived offense is not one which causes physical harm, I would agree on the shared nature of the circumstance.
(June 23, 2011 at 7:56 am)Gawdzilla Wrote: The Cult of Victimhood is one of the fastest growing religions in the world.

I thought the Jews cornered the market on that about four thousand years ago.
Trying to update my sig ...
Some of these fuckers need to be offended.
(June 23, 2011 at 4:15 am)TheYoungAtheist Wrote: IS it no true that in most cases the one being offended or the "offendee" places the fault on the offender? This is not a logical reaction and here's why: Being offended is somewhat of a personal preference. Certain things offend certain people, and certain things offend people and don't offend others. The quote "Nobody can offend without your consent" is a perfect example. It is not the offenders fault that the offendee was offended. The only reason the offendee is offended is because they allow themselves to be offended. Therefore the blame cannot be placed on the "offender".

I would agree with that, I don't really get insulted because if its the truth I am learning something, if its just nonsense and it happens too often , I just ignore them

Lets try it out

Anyone, give me your best insult. HiT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT!!!!
Crickets ...
Trying to update my sig ...
I especially don't like when people get offended by humor. Nothing is sacred to me, everything can be made into a joke. Humor is a way to get over horrible stuff and give people reason to laugh. To get offended by the fact that you just so happened to be the butt of the joke this time, means that the comedian was dead right. Otherwise you can laugh at yourself.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura