Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life?
Life?
Life is absolutely absurd; there is no way to circumnavigate the puzzling state of our existence. Why is it absurd? For the majority of human beings who do not live a life of luxury, the overarching themes of ones life includes being born, suffering, and dying. Everything which happens during the “suffering” stage of our existence is nothing but mere details; or so says I. Where is the meaning of our existence? Does life have any meaning or purpose? These questions have agonized the minds of Homo sapiens for as long as our species has developed the ability to critically ponder our place in the cosmos.
-Only with the ultimate knowledge of all things will man have come to know himself. For things are but the boundaries of man. -> Friedrich Nietzsche

Atheist

RE: Life?

While one could argue that in the lack of evidence to the contrary, life has no meaning in the larger scheme of things as they are; life does have whatever meaning we choose to ascribe to it.

Whether the love of another, the support of your neighbours, warfare in the name of religion, marshmallow roasts of those who don't agree with you; we put meaning there, we create meaning.

Then, many folk will kill you if you don't accept their meanings.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
"Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it, oh God I'm so depressed. Here's another one of those self-satisfied doors. Life! Don't talk to me about life."
[Image: Marvin%2Bthe%2BParanoid%2BAndroid.jpg]
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
For me, a fitting meaning to life is the "will to power"
-Only with the ultimate knowledge of all things will man have come to know himself. For things are but the boundaries of man. -> Friedrich Nietzsche

Atheist

That sounds very Budhist, that life is suffering part. So called first noble truth in Budhism is that life is suffering.

Thanks
What's the point with life? I couldn't care less, I'm just happy to see this world for the microscopic moment that I'm able to. And I am not going to suffer, hell, I will enjoy this ride to my last breath!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The only meaning to life is one that you apply to yourself. I don't see the reason to apply a meaning to my life anyway, mostly because the common assumption that if you are atheist you have no meaning in life. I don't see the big problem with that? Just another thing we don't have in common, so lets discriminate!
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
Don't think too much about it....it's depressing.

(June 24, 2011 at 4:50 am)TheYoungAtheist Wrote: Life is absolutely absurd; there is no way to circumnavigate the puzzling state of our existence. Why is it absurd? For the majority of human beings who do not live a life of luxury, the overarching themes of ones life includes being born, suffering, and dying. Everything which happens during the “suffering” stage of our existence is nothing but mere details; or so says I. Where is the meaning of our existence? Does life have any meaning or purpose? These questions have agonized the minds of Homo sapiens for as long as our species has developed the ability to critically ponder our place in the cosmos.

In my opinion, it is best not to think too deeply about the pointlessness of existence and focus on living in the present.
undefined
Life has no meaning in the "universal" sense but you can give your life a personal meaning. Smile

Religion satisfies humanities desire for a "universal" reason to exist, one of its major appeals.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15385 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4098 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist