Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking Of Summer!
Thinking Of Summer!
Again on music what songs do you think are really good summer songs:

With my soul (and now nu-metal) background I'd say that some are obvious, so here's a few:

* "Summertime", DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince (a.k.a. Will Smith)
* Brown Eyed Girl-Van Morrison
* "Walking On Sunshine", Katrina & The Waves
* "Lovely Day", Bill Withers
* "Mmm-bop", Hanson
* "Club Tropicana", Wham!
* "Cuba", Gibson Brothers
* "Who Let The Dogs Out", Baha Men
* "Watermelon Man", Mongo Santamaria
* "Summer Nights", John Travolta & Olivia Newton John
* "Last Summer", Lostprophets
* "I'll Be Waiting", Santana
* "Summer of 69", Bryan Adams

There;'s also one that always gets played but I can't for the life of me remember it.

There's also some older ones but I chose to ignore those Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Thinking Of Summer!
(February 28, 2009 at 6:09 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Again on music what songs do you think are really good summer songs:

With my soul (and now nu-metal) background I'd say that some are obvious, so here's a few:

* "Summertime", DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince (a.k.a. Will Smith)
* Brown Eyed Girl-Van Morrison
* "Walking On Sunshine", Katrina & The Waves
* "Lovely Day", Bill Withers
* "Mmm-bop", Hanson
* "Club Tropicana", Wham!
* "Cuba", Gibson Brothers
* "Who Let The Dogs Out", Baha Men
* "Watermelon Man", Mongo Santamaria
* "Summer Nights", John Travolta & Olivia Newton John
* "Last Summer", Lostprophets
* "I'll Be Waiting", Santana
* "Summer of 69", Bryan Adams

There;'s also one that always gets played but I can't for the life of me remember it.

There's also some older ones but I chose to ignore those Smile

Kyu

Kyu, I am old I don't deny it or apologise for it, so-

California Dreamin' Mamas
Summer's Almost Gone Doors
Summer Nights Marianne Faithful
The Girl From Ipanema whoever
California Girls Beach Boys
Cruel Summer Bananarama
Sunny Afternoon Kinks
Champagne Supernova Oasis
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Great that you created another music topic. We need more. I bloody love music.

I dunno how to judge this really. Cos my favourite songs don't tend to have lyrics - or if so they're kind of more obscure.

So what 'sounds summery'. When we are born as babies, all our senses are linked and we can hear colour, taste sound, etc etc. So its not necessarily 100% nonsensical to talk of something SOUNDING like a particular time of year, or picture, or taste, or whatever. There are even a small amount of adults who actually have their sound linked to colours like babies. And more that have it 'a bit'.

I'm going to do my best. Could be bollocks, but I'm going to try and choose what 'sounds summery' for me (that I also like).

Perhaps 'Go' by Moby, Maybe Chime and Fahrenheit 303 by Orbital (they're very 'bright' sounding I think).

The start of my favourite song Halcyon + On + On, also by Orbital, I think sounds like a sunrise - and it feels nice and summery for me.
I think also their song One Perfect Sunrise perhaps.

I'm just gonna have a go and say now without giving any further reasons - just list:

49 percent by Royksopp.

I just played Eple by Royksopp and I think that works really well.

Funny Break (Weekend Ravers Mix) by Orbital.
Remind Me by Royksopp.

Dispel the Clouds by Long Range I think works really well.

I'll just give one more then stop there - I don't want to give too big a list.

I'll give an album actually. I'd say the whole of the brown album by Orbital (which includes Halcyon + On + On).
But that might just be me!! I'd like to listen to that on a summer more than perhaps their 4th album In Sides for example. Which I might prefer in one of the other seasons.

EvF

EDIT: Oh, I've just thought - I have to sneak a Kraftwerk in - I just thought of 'Computer Love' which is a very bright sunny sounding track. I have only really heard the original I think maybe on youtube.

But the (I think longer?) remixed one on their remix album 'The Mix' I think sounds superb. Incredibly 'bright sounding'. Its sent shivers down my spine many a time how it sounds. Very summery [sounding] for me. Even though the lyrics aren't about summer (I put the way a track sounds completely above the lyrics).

I even once had a shiver sent down my spine from hearing it.... - when I wasn't even really hearing it! I was just thinking of it in my head and it felt like it was really playing and I just got the shivers.#
I was outside, and I didn't have an mp3 player then either! I didn't have the music on, and I don't think I'd actually REALLY heard the track for a few days. Certainly more than 1 day.
For me it is this one:

[youtube]k8HsEbb-9sA[/youtube]
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Summer Nights from Grease
Summer of 69 by Brian Adams.

Oh and I fucking hate summer. :/
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
And more summer records Smile

* Betty Boo - Where Are You Baby?
* Bobby Bloom - Montego Bay
* Boz Scaggs - Lowdown
* Bobby Goldsboro - Summer (The First Time)
* Chic - Dance Dance Dance
* Crown Heights Affair - Galaxy Of Love
* Deodato - Also Sprach Zarathustra
* Dee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
* Frankie Valli - The Night
* Kool & The Gang - Open Sesame
* La Belle Epoque - Black is Black
* Lovebug Starski - Amityville (House On The Hill)
* Madness - Night boat To Cairo
* Mousse T - Horny
* Neil Sedaka - Laughter In The Rain
* Osibisa - Sunshine Day
* Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots
* Redbone - Witch Queen Of New Orleans
* Rose Royce - Car Wash
* Stevie Wonder - As
* Stevie Wonder - If You Really Love Me
* Stevie Wonder - Superstition
* Stevie Wonder - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
* The Beat - Mirror In the Bathroom
* The Darts - The Boy From New York City
* The Motors - Airport

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

I bloodly love 'Superstition'. Awesome song IMO.

I guess it does sort of sound summery. I wouldn't really attribute it to any season. But the other 3 seasons seem to work less than Summer for some reason. So I guess by process of elimination I would, too, say its more summery, if anything.

For some reason I think that it also sounds more Autumny than Spring or Wintery. So if it wasn't summer or attributed to no season in particular, then I'd choose Autumn over Winter and Spring.

Dunno why. Just sounds like that to me. The mood of the song. Winter is way too cold and snowy and spring is too flowery for me.

Anyways, I bloody love that song.
(March 2, 2009 at 9:18 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Anyways, I bloody love that song.

Yeah though I think the track "Maybe Your Baby" off the same album is right up there too.

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What ya got growing this summer? brewer 11 533 June 5, 2021 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2335 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Plans for the summer. Mystic 9 1032 March 15, 2018 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Off To The North This Summer Amarok 0 684 February 9, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6025 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Whats going on with Thinking Atheist forum? Brian37 23 4372 July 1, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Steam summer sale.... dyresand 1 938 June 20, 2016 at 1:32 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  British people - Thinking about emigrating... Dystopia 26 4063 August 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Thinking of making a mafia game dyresand 1 697 July 15, 2015 at 10:57 am
Last Post: dyresand
  [rant] Gave church 5 months to answer my questions. What was I thinking? IanHulett 3 1498 May 10, 2015 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: robvalue