Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Gets To Play More Games
New York Gets To Play More Games
Us younglings can now buy violent video games.

Now I don't have to ask my mom to come in with me to buy my games. My mom is so happy! Tongue
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
RE: New York Gets To Play More Games
Are you sure you still don't need your mom? This law was only being implemented in California on top of the old ratings. I'm pretty sure the old ratings and restrictions still apply.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 28, 2011 at 8:03 am)FaithNoMore Wrote: Are you sure you still don't need your mom? This law was only being implemented in California on top of the old ratings. I'm pretty sure the old ratings and restrictions still apply.

Nope. It's also NY.
Am I misunderstanding the law in my intense happiness?
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(June 28, 2011 at 8:04 am)SpatiumTempusque Wrote: Am I misunderstanding the law in my intense happiness?

I believe so. Many business already restrict the video game sales to minors and this law was trying to make it a crime to sell mature games to minors. It was also trying to tack on a larger label onto mature video games. So, the SCOTUS said you cannot make it a crime to sell mature video games to minors, but the business that have restricted sales to minors will continue to do so.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I see. Why wasn't this told to me!

But how can it be legal for them to restrict what I can purchase, if it is lawful for me to purchase? Isn't that age discrimination?
Martin Luther King, Jr.
They are private businesses and have the right to refuse service to anyone.
That said... it is moronic to refuse that many customers if you don't have to Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: That said... it is moronic to refuse that many customers if you don't have to Tongue

Right... because fending off pissed off parents is totally worth making that 50 dollar sale that probably only nets the store 25 bucks. Also, imagine the negative press a store might receive.
Meh... i sometimes forget how stupid and pansilly americans can be.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Right... because fending off pissed off parents is totally worth making that 50 dollar sale that probably only nets the store 25 bucks. Also, imagine the negative press a store might receive.

Of course. Don't those goddamn stores know they should be doing the parent's job for them?

What next? The law is going to decide parents must, I don't know, actually parent?

The whole violent video games debate hinges on parents being unable to do what they're expected to - parent their goddamn spawn.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2021 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What are your top 5 video games of all time? T0 Th3 M4X 80 8350 May 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: emjay
  I sucked at video games. Brian37 16 2952 July 18, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The issue with Match-3 games Foxaèr 4 440 August 15, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone here play GTA Online? copiedusername 2 679 December 17, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: copiedusername
  Stream Switch games without a capture card. Mechaghostman2 0 376 November 24, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Would you play Pacman if he looked like this? Mechaghostman2 10 2196 November 4, 2019 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Destiny 2 base game will go Free to play Cepheus Ace 0 369 June 7, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Any sci-fi open world games? Mechaghostman2 9 1875 September 27, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Games still to be released in 2018 Foxaèr 9 1148 June 2, 2018 at 12:32 am
Last Post: KevinM1