Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignorant fools on the bus
Ignorant fools on the bus
Remember (or did you hear about) the campaign a couple of years back, when you could read on the side of buses that there probably is no god and that one shouldn't worry? it caused quite an uproar in my town, since the majority of our bus drivers are Muslims (or otherwise religious). There were angry writings in the newspapers and many a driver refused to drive said buses.

Funny though, two days ago when I was on my way to work I saw inside the bus, behind the driver, a poster that urged one to "Believe me", signed Jesus Christ . Yes, it wasn't "believe in me", but actually "believe me". I found it hilarious, since same statement would have just a big an impact on me if it was supposedly Gandalf who said so. Later on another bus there was an extract from the Bible saying how much he loves you etc.

I started to wonder, how the hell could the same Muslim drivers drive around with that crap behind their backs without grimacing, but gorramit when atheists have defiled the vehicle a Muslim was supposed to drive.. Just how much hypocrisy is there in the world?! I think it's alright for people to put up whatever posters they like (even though these ones are actually butt-ugly and slightly ominous and look like something I could've made in second grade with paint and clipart), but I can't help to feel that those atheists responsible for the campaign was/are unfairly treated.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Ignorant fools on the bus
Don't know what its like across the pond, but there's a common joke over here. Welcome to the United States of the Offended.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yup. People thought it highly offensive when they were told that there's no need to worry, but to tell them they are bad, bad persons and deserve more shit than is already happening to them, then they are happy. Go figure..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I think part of this boils down to many theists believe it's better to believe in some god than no god. While they may be driving around with dirty Christian sayings in their bus, at least they're not propagating the message of the filthy atheists that there is no god. Christians and Muslims may generally hate each other, but I don't think that hate scratches the surface for what they harbor against us atheists.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I figured as much. What an odd way of thinking, I must say..

(July 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: I figured as much. What an odd way of thinking, I must say..

Indoctrination, conditioned responses, instinct perhaps. Not sure I'd really call it thinking though Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I think the lack of a belief in a god scares them.
They dont understand the concept no matter how often or how well its described to them.(I'm thinking of statler here)

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I think the lack of a belief in a god scares them.
They dont understand the concept no matter how often or how well its described to them.(I'm thinking of statler here)

Don't forget G-C...there's another one who can't get through the day without thinking his sky-daddy is watching him every second.
(July 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(July 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I think the lack of a belief in a god scares them.

Don't forget G-C...there's another one who can't get through the day without thinking his sky-daddy is watching him every second.

He has his eye on you also.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(July 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

He has his eye on you also.

Just one envious eye. The other eye he is still keeping on G-C lest G-C tries to run away from daddy and become his own man. ROFLOLROFLOL

I think it's the deflation of their accustomed conceit that they would do very literally anything to avoid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Christians so ignorant of their religions history and it's crimes GoHalos1993 24 7343 December 7, 2015 at 10:12 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My loving bus journey frankiej 10 2488 December 10, 2011 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Anymouse
  Atheist Bus moves on... Darwinian 10 2958 November 20, 2009 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Bus ad doesn't make sense. The_Truth 16 8174 August 11, 2009 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused