Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bus ad doesn't make sense.
Bus ad doesn't make sense.
I just saw a website that is discussing a Bus ad that reads, "God is probably not there, so go ahead and enjoy your life". Do you realize the word "probably" can be mistaken and inaccurate? Probably means "more than likely", but I've known tons of people who have said (probably) and they ended up being dead wrong. The word "probably" only comes from a person that is unsure of themself.

friend - are you coming to my party tomorrow night?
me - yes, i will probably end up coming.

tomorrow night rolls around >> my kid ends up coming down with the flu, and i can't attend the party. So much for "probably" used in a sentence.

Probably is only used when a person is uncertain. Atheists claim "they don't believe in God", but they will endorse a bus ad that says "God is probably not there". Atheists go from one extreme to the next.

In one argument, atheists say 'God doesn't exist', but then they turn around and say "God probably doesn't exist".
which one is it?

So, the conclusion to this bus ad campaign.

Don't believe in someone that frequently uses the word probably in their everyday life.
RE: Bus ad doesn't make sense.
This theist doesn't make much sense either!

Does the word "stupid" mean anything to you at all? The correct meaning of the word "probable" does not necessarily reflect its common usage ... if something "is probable" it means quite simply that it is likely and that is EXACTLY what the ad campaign is saying that it is probable there is no god (IOW the likelihood there is no god is high)!

I think you are little more than a troll, I suspect your Christian compatriots here would find you almost as embarrassing as I find you irritating and I sense that a banning is getting that much nearer!

I repeat that this is an atheist community so wise up if you want to stay!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(August 10, 2009 at 9:03 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: This theist doesn't make much sense either!
I make alot of sense. I can tell atheists are uncertain about their afterlife.

Quote:Does the word "stupid" mean anything to you at all? The correct meaning of the word "probable" does not necessarily reflect its common usage ... if something "is probable" it means quite simply that it is likely and that is EXACTLY what the ad campaign is saying that it is probable there is no god (IOW the likelihood there is no god is high)!
It is "Likely" that God does not exist? That statement still leaves you too much room for error. You better re-analyze your statements about the existence of God.

Quote:I think you are little more than a troll, I suspect your Christian compatriots here would find you almost as embarrassing as I find you irritating and I sense that a banning is getting that much nearer!
I don't care what other Christians think about me. If they are judging my actions, then they hardly qualify as Christ believer.

Quote:I repeat that this is an atheist community so wise up if you want to stay!
If this is an atheistic community, then why do you discuss God and Religion in a "Religion" section of this atheist community?

If you are really, truly an atheist. My suggestion to you would be to quit discussing God in your forums. You are defeating the purpose of being an atheist.

Why do atheists contradict themself? Atheists have claimed "we walked away from God", but in reality, you haven't because you have created a website to talk about Him.
(August 10, 2009 at 9:13 am)The_Truth Wrote:
(August 10, 2009 at 9:03 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: This theist doesn't make much sense either!
I make alot of sense. I can tell atheists are uncertain about their afterlife.

No more so that we are concerning our lack of belief in the claim that the Earth is flat, there is a man in the moon or a cream cake at the centre of the Earth.

(August 10, 2009 at 9:03 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Does the word "stupid" mean anything to you at all? The correct meaning of the word "probable" does not necessarily reflect its common usage ... if something "is probable" it means quite simply that it is likely and that is EXACTLY what the ad campaign is saying that it is probable there is no god (IOW the likelihood there is no god is high)!
It is "Likely" that God does not exist? That statement still leaves you too much room for error. You better re-analyze your statements about the existence of God.

No more so that we are concerning our lack of belief in the claim that the Earth is flat, there is a man in the moon or a cream cake at the centre of the Earth.

(August 10, 2009 at 9:03 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: I think you are little more than a troll, I suspect your Christian compatriots here would find you almost as embarrassing as I find you irritating and I sense that a banning is getting that much nearer!
I don't care what other Christians think about me. If they are judging my actions, then they hardly qualify as Christ believer.

Curious how all you Muppets say much the same thing about your fellows cultists ... to us you're all the f***ing same!

(August 10, 2009 at 9:03 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: I repeat that this is an atheist community so wise up if you want to stay!
If this is an atheistic community, then why do you discuss God and Religion in a "Religion" section of this atheist community?

And for the terminally dense I repat ... we are an intelligent and vocal group of like minded individuals who are VERY interested in the adverse (and occasional not so adverse) effects of religion on society! Religion has powerful societal effects ... why the fuck wouldn't we be interested?

(August 10, 2009 at 9:13 am)The_Truth Wrote: If you are really, truly an atheist. My suggestion to you would be to quit discussing God in your forums. You are defeating the purpose of being an atheist.

And my suggestion to you would be to mind you're own fucking business ... it's OUR fucking forum, we will do as we wish whether you approve or not!

(August 10, 2009 at 9:13 am)The_Truth Wrote: [quote='Kyuuketsuki' pid='25272' dateline='1249909416']Why do atheists contradict themself? Atheists have claimed "we walked away from God", but in reality, you haven't because you have created a website to talk about Him.

What the fuck are you on about? Who claims to have walked away from God? Not one of us here I would say ... walked away from belief in a god or from the tenets of religion sure but , answer this lamebrain:

HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE WALK AWAY FROM SOMETHING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN?????

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

Why do you keep claiming atheist should be certain about the non existence of gods? Atheism only means not believing in gods, and has nothing to do with knowledge or certainty. We just find a god figure unlikely, therefore we say on the bus ad "There is probably no God".

You believe a god exists. Good for you. So why bother us with that?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: No more so that we are concerning our lack of belief in the claim that the Earth is flat, there is a man in the moon or a cream cake at the centre of the Earth.
I don't care if you're concerned or not. I'm talking about being certain of your afterlife.

Quote:no more so that we are concerning our lack of belief in the claim that the Earth is flat, there is a man in the moon or a cream cake at the centre of the Earth.
you still can't be certain of God, no matter how many references you use.

Quote:Curious how all you Muppets say much the same thing about your fellows cultists ... to us you're all the f***ing same!
I don't care what other christians think about me. That's not their job to decide. Only God can judge me.

Quote:And for the terminally dense I repat ... we are an intelligent and vocal group of like minded individuals who are VERY interested in the adverse (and occasional not so adverse) effects of religion on society! Religion has powerful societal effects ... why the fuck wouldn't we be interested?
You are not going to change society. No matter how many Bus ads you endorse. You are walking into a room full of billions of believers with a knife, meanwhile these believers have machine guns. You can't win.

Quote:And my suggestion to you would be to mind you're own fucking business ... it's OUR fucking forum, we will do as we wish whether you approve or not!
And, same goes for America. This country is run by 85% Christian. This is our nation, and we will do as we wish. Atheists cry, it's illegal to display a statue of Moses holding the 10 commandments in a court room. well, guess what? we are doing it, and that's that. If atheists don't like America, then I suggest you move to Iran, and tell those Islamic Radicals that Islam has evil intentions. Do you dare take my challenge?

Quote:What the fuck are you on about? Who claims to have walked away from God? Not one of us here I would say ... walked away from belief in a god or from the tenets of religion sure but , answer this lamebrain:
Thank you for proving my point!! I have discussed religion with literally hundreds of so-called atheists, and they all say "they have walked away from God and religion".

Quote:HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE WALK AWAY FROM SOMETHING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN
because they believed in God for 10, 20, 30, 40+ years. God isn't something you can say "ok, i don't believe in him anymore". That just doesn't fly.

And even these people that do become atheist cannot know if God does not exist. Atheism is a belief system just like any religion. You believe there is no God, but you don't know for certain. If atheism was a fact, you would provide evidence showing that God cannot possibly exist. But you can't. All you are doing is assuming there is no God.
(August 10, 2009 at 11:39 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Why do you keep claiming atheist should be certain about the non existence of gods? Atheism only means not believing in gods, and has nothing to do with knowledge or certainty. We just find a god figure unlikely, therefore we say on the bus ad "There is probably no God".
Believe me, I know atheism has nothing to do with knowledge or certainty. Sure, you can say "there is probably no God", but that is the most unsupported statement I have ever witnessed.

Quote:You believe a god exists. Good for you. So why bother us with that?
You don't believe in God. So why bother us with your Bus ad?

Do you honestly believe the world will see atheism is a whole new light because of an ad on a bus?
Come on now, everyone knows this ad is just to agitate believers. That is what atheism is becoming known for. Not so much proving atheism has a solid foundation, but rather to ridicule, insult and agitate believers.

Atheists would be a taken a bit more serious if you guys weren't so gung-ho to show the world "God is probably not there, so enjoy your life".

Maybe Theists should create a bus ad that says "God is probably there, but you still can enjoy your life".

I believe God is there, and I'm enjoying life more than ever.
the_truth Wrote:
(August 10, 2009 at 11:39 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Why do you keep claiming atheist should be certain about the non existence of gods? Atheism only means not believing in gods, and has nothing to do with knowledge or certainty. We just find a god figure unlikely, therefore we say on the bus ad "There is probably no God".
Believe me, I know atheism has nothing to do with knowledge or certainty. Sure, you can say "there is probably no God", but that is the most unsupported statement I have ever witnessed.

So what? There probably is no god, I see no reason to assume there is.

the_truth Wrote:
Quote:You believe a god exists. Good for you. So why bother us with that?
You don't believe in God. So why bother us with your Bus ad?

the campaign was originally started as a positive counter-response to the Jesus Said ads running on London buses. These ads displayed the URL of a website which stated that non-Christians "will be condemned to everlasting separation from God and then you spend all eternity in torment in hell … Jesus spoke about this as a lake of fire prepared for the devil".

Now whether you believe that is true or not is irrelevant, the advert was launched to let people know that it is okay not to believe the same bullshit others do.

Quote:Do you honestly believe the world will see atheism is a whole new light because of an ad on a bus?

No I don't and I don't care either. Do you believe complaining about it here will accomplish anything?

Quote:Maybe Theists should create a bus ad that says "God is probably there, but you still can enjoy your life".

You know what your theists did?

They ran their own add plagiarizing the atheist bus campaign and run:

"There definitely is a God. So join the Christian Party and enjoy your life."

That is positive claim they cannot prove. Great display of intellectual honesty there.

Quote:I believe God is there, and I'm enjoying life more than ever.

Like I said, good for you, why bother us about it?

Quote:Not so much proving atheism has a solid foundation, but rather to ridicule, insult and agitate believers.

Again, so what? Are you too sensitive for ridicule?

Quote:Atheists would be a taken a bit more serious if you guys weren't so gung-ho to show the world "God is probably not there, so enjoy your life".

If you are going to quote it, at least get the add right.

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life"
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm jumping in on this one. It's just too hilarious to ignore.

Quote:Believe me, I know atheism has nothing to do with knowledge or certainty. Sure, you can say "there is probably no God", but that is the most unsupported statement I have ever witnessed.
I'd say "there certainly is a god" would be more unsupported. Fact is, there is no evidence at all for a god. But, at the same time, we cannot say with any degree of certainty that there isn't a god, for perhaps the evidence for such a being is just around the corner. In this case, we cannot make a claim on the existence of God other than the claim that it seems unlikely that he exists. Perhaps you'd be more satisfied if the ad had read "God almost certainly doesn't exist, but we can't be sure. In any case, have fun guys! Don't be chained to your religions which are so full of prejudice and hatred." Because that, after all, is the message being put across.

Quote: You don't believe in God. So why bother us with your Bus ad?

Do you honestly believe the world will see atheism is a whole new light because of an ad on a bus?
Come on now, everyone knows this ad is just to agitate believers. That is what atheism is becoming known for. Not so much proving atheism has a solid foundation, but rather to ridicule, insult and agitate believers.

Atheists would be a taken a bit more serious if you guys weren't so gung-ho to show the world "God is probably not there, so enjoy your life".

Maybe Theists should create a bus ad that says "God is probably there, but you still can enjoy your life".

I believe God is there, and I'm enjoying life more than ever.

The bus ad is just a sort of catalyst. Atheists are trying to get their voices heard so that eventually we'll be on a large enough platform to reach out to people and tell them to stop hating gays, slapping they bitches and bombing abortion clinics because God said so.

The burden of proof is on you, my friend. Until you can demonstrate that there is any reasonable likelihood of a god figure existing, we will continue to assert that in the bare lack of evidence, this god probably doesn't exist.
You are saying that we cannot know for certain that God isn't real, so we should still believe in him just in case. But using this logic should we not also believe and abide by the rules of all the different religions in the world, since we cannot know for certain any of them are false. Contrary to what people seem to believe on the internet it is not Atheism vs Christianity as the only two possible choices. It is Atheism vs Christianity vs Buddhism vs Islam vs Satanism vs Judaism vs Hinduism vs 1000s of other religions.

Now, if we cannot hope to fight Christianity, than why do you care so much? Is it because you noticed that Christianity is on the decline all across the U.S.A.? Or that Irreligion has more than doubled in the past eighteen years and is the only demographic to have had an increase over all 50 states in the past two years?

And lastly, whether or not the bus ad is effective or not a promoting atheism is not an issue. It doesn't matter whether it was seriously promoting atheism or simply annoying theists, it is not illegal, and it is not up to you to tell us what we should or shouldn't do.
(August 10, 2009 at 11:40 am)The_Truth Wrote:
(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: No more so that we are concerning our lack of belief in the claim that the Earth is flat, there is a man in the moon or a cream cake at the centre of the Earth.
I don't care if you're concerned or not. I'm talking about being certain of your afterlife.

And I am saying that to the atheist they have the same value, they are all bullshit!

(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: no more so that we are concerning our lack of belief in the claim that the Earth is flat, there is a man in the moon or a cream cake at the centre of the Earth.
you still can't be certain of God, no matter how many references you use.

You can't be certain there is no cream cake at the centre of the Earth no matter how many references you use.

(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: Curious how all you Muppets say much the same thing about your fellows cultists ... to us you're all the f***ing same!
I don't care what other christians think about me. That's not their job to decide. Only God can judge me.

Of course you care what others (Christian or not) think of you because you are here ... you’re here because you think we're wrong therefore by that very act you demonstrate your warped version of "caring".

(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: And for the terminally dense I repeat ... we are an intelligent and vocal group of like minded individuals who are VERY interested in the adverse (and occasional not so adverse) effects of religion on society! Religion has powerful societal effects ... why the fuck wouldn't we be interested?
You are not going to change society. No matter how many Bus ads you endorse. You are walking into a room full of billions of believers with a knife, meanwhile these believers have machine guns. You can't win.

The figures belie that claim ... lack of belief is on the rise, belief is on the fall certainly in Western society.

(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: And my suggestion to you would be to mind you're own fucking business ... it's OUR fucking forum, we will do as we wish whether you approve or not!
And, same goes for America. This country is run by 85% Christian. This is our nation, and we will do as we wish. Atheists cry, it's illegal to display a statue of Moses holding the 10 commandments in a court room. well, guess what? we are doing it, and that's that. If atheists don't like America, then I suggest you move to Iran, and tell those Islamic Radicals that Islam has evil intentions. Do you dare take my challenge?

This is a BRITISH run/owned forum so you can shove your dumb fucking challenge where the sun don't shine Smile

(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: What the fuck are you on about? Who claims to have walked away from God? Not one of us here I would say ... walked away from belief in a god or from the tenets of religion sure but , answer this lamebrain:
Thank you for proving my point!! I have discussed religion with literally hundreds of so-called atheists, and they all say "they have walked away from God and religion".

Maybe they were waxing poetic, who knows but I could no more walk away from your hokey god than I could from Allah, Quetzalcoatl, Freya, Gwydion, Matsu, Isis, Zeus, Brahma, Izanagi or Jupiter ... I simply ceased to believe.

(August 10, 2009 at 9:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE WALK AWAY FROM SOMETHING THEY DON'T BELIEVE IN
because they believed in God for 10, 20, 30, 40+ years. God isn't something you can say "ok, i don't believe in him anymore". That just doesn't fly.

Which just goes to show how little you understand atheism (and leads me to suspect you were lying above), no one chooses to no longer believe ... you just stop! I didn't choose to be an atheist ... I just am!

(August 10, 2009 at 11:40 am)The_Truth Wrote: And even these people that do become atheist cannot know if God does not exist. Atheism is a belief system just like any religion. You believe there is no God, but you don't know for certain. If atheism was a fact, you would provide evidence showing that God cannot possibly exist. But you can't. All you are doing is assuming there is no God.

No, it isn't a belief system ... it's a label, nothing more! It says one and only one thing about me ... that I don't believe in your god or any other.

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My god doesn't owe you an explaination! T.J. 22 2106 November 29, 2021 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Prophecy doesn't make sense zwanzig 26 2400 March 12, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4770 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Lets say that tomorow it will be proven that God doesn't exist , religion will fade , notimportant1234 54 11020 October 28, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3582 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9183 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why doesn't religion ever get a product recall? ignoramus 17 2841 February 22, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  11 reasons god doesn't exist. Braveheart 43 72407 November 30, 2016 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Cyrinistar
  why doesn't your deity protect my free will? ReptilianPeon 20 5270 July 8, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Religion makes sense Mystic 45 9252 July 2, 2015 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus