Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I no longer believe.
Why I no longer believe.
I was raised a Methodist. I only attended church periodically with my grandparents when I would visit. My family on my father's side are all VERY devout and show little tolerance for those who have different viewpoints on the subject of religion. My mother's family, on the other hand, sometimes attend church and consider themselves to be Christians... but have a much more relaxed attitude toward religion. They don't judge others the way that my father's family does.

Fast forward to my adult life. I never actually asked jesus to come into my heart until September of 2009. At that point, according to Christian belief, I was saved. I was having serious issues at the time, including a serious binge eating disorder, alcoholism and chronic clinical depression. I was told "Just hand all of your problems over to god and he will fix them". I was also told that I should pray regularly and I even started doing a bible study with my aunt (Dad's side) so that I could build my new relationship with christ. I have to say, that from September of 2009 until Febrary of this year, the only thing that got fixed was my alcoholism, which, at the time, I attributed to god. Everything else got MUCH worse.

Last summer, I fell into a depression that was so profound that I nearly offed myself. I ran out of my antidepressants over the holiday and thus decided that it was time to go cold turkey with all pharmaceuticals. I did this, and something unbelievable happened to me. For the first time in my adult life (I'm 37), I started to use my brain. I began questioning everything, and my BS meter shot through the roof. The fact that 9 11 was a false flag attack was my first realization. Then onto the corrupt Federal Reserve, the Marrionette puppet show involving the right and left paradigm... And then the queen mother of all topics... religion. I watched a YouTube video called "Why I am no longer a Christian" by Evid3nce, which referred me to a book called "Some Mistakes of Moses" by Robert Ingersoll. That book changed my perception of religion altogether. Not only did I question the existence of any god... I flatout denied it.

As this transformation occurred, I began to reflect on my life... and the Christians in it. Of all of the people that I know, it is the hard core Christians that seem to make me feel the worst. My father's side would disown me if they knew that I was an atheist. My mother's side, however, I have told about my beliefs. While they may disagree, they don't condemn me for my views nor do they try to change my mind. My monster-in-law is ate up with jesus love. She is naive as all getout, unaccepting of her gay son, closed minded and extremely dogmatic about everything, but particularly religion. She had my kids over for the night last year and felt the need to have a talk with them about "the enemy" at bed time. My poor children, ages 4 and 6 were completely traumatized at the notion of an enemy living underground. That, to me, is pure evil. I've found, in recent times, that the more religious the individual, the greater their propensity for hate, thoughtlessness and hypocrisy. For that reason and knowing that Christianity defies science, logic, reason, intellect, etc... I choose not to believe.
RE: Why I no longer believe.
Welcome aboard.

:heavily edited in an attempt to be more inviting to a new member...lol:
I talk to my daughters about the "enemy underground" constantly. My 3 year old can tell people all about nematodes. You're gonna have to run your 9/11 scenario by me sometime, very interested.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Conspiracy theories notwithstanding, welcome.
Trying to update my sig ...
(July 7, 2011 at 1:18 am)Epimethean Wrote: Conspiracy theories notwithstanding, welcome.

I'll second that.
Welcome person with a long introduction Smile Normally I'd read it. But In my current state: I'd be reading two of it. Because I'm seeing double. Because I did double the work I'd planned.

So double the blind welcome Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I love reading other atheist stories. People have no idea the courage it takes to step out as an atheist. But it is getting more commonly known and you are not alone. Good for you for reaching out. Thank you for sharing your story. Smile
Tough background you have there.. But I'm glad you came to your senses (at least concerning religion). Welcome! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I really appreciate all of the responses. Thank you! There is a lot of info out there about 9 11, etc. I wouldn't actually call it conspiracy theory, as a majority of the "theories" that I have researched have a lot of " fact" to back them up. I'll refrain from too much elaboration on this, as the point to my intro was my awakening. But I will say this. The definition of conspiracy theory these days seems to be absolutely anything that questions the status quo(generally provided by the government or mainstream media. Check out architectsandengineersfor911truth.org. Anyhow, thanks again for the welcome!
Will do Rob, thanks for the link.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 7, 2011 at 10:02 am)Rhythm Wrote: Will do Rob, thanks for the link.
Anytime! And please don't take my original post as an insult to ALL Christians, as I couldn't possibly make those assumptions about people that I've never met. My conclusion is derived from personal experiences with those in my life whom I still love... Just vehemently disagree with. Have a great day! And let me know what you think about that website if you get a chance!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9308 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  why not believe in God! ibelieve04142000 63 19810 September 5, 2010 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Zen Badger