Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists sue to block Texas governor from promoting Christian prayer rally
Atheists sue to block Texas governor from promoting Christian prayer rally
The official announcement from his office calls the event a "non-denominational, apolitical, Christian prayer meeting hosted by the American Family Association," a group that believes "a culture based on Biblical truth best serves the well-being of our country."

Keeping in mind this is the same leader of Texas that thought prayer would make it rain so that thirsty Texas and it's dying cattle would get god's attention that it's a wee bit hot. And then imagine Perry wants to run the whole country!

So god talks to Perry? He shares the same dellusion as psycho Fundy Republican Michelle Bachman who says god talks to her all the time. Meanwhile, with regard to Bachman one wonders if in the midst of that he captures her attention with the preface; hey stupid compulsive lying chick, listen up...

Perry should ask her to be his VP candidate. Then there can be two Fundy nutters to laugh at in the shadow of the Elephant in 2012. It'll be like a circus with rich clowns.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: Atheists sue to block Texas governor from promoting Christian prayer rally
Really does a politician exist that doesn't in some way pledge some token of allegiance to Christianity. Even Obama made sure to pay the obligatory necessary homage to the religious right.

I'm not saying I support Perry by any stretch of the imagination, but seeing a politician make claims of god's guidance is truly nothing new or remotely shocking.

They're politicians ... they're going to do and say whatever it takes to win elections. They're sleazy dirt-bags ... god or no god.
[Image: Evolution.png]

You can always follow him on 'tweeter'
(July 17, 2011 at 9:08 pm)Cinjin Wrote: They're politicians ... they're going to do and say whatever it takes to win elections.

Americans eat this shit up. As long as the candidate says he follows god, everything else is secondary to the fundies.

Anyone else notice the silly attempt at acknowledging freedom of religion by calling it non-denominational? But that's what freedom of religion is to these people. The freedom to follow Christ as you see fit.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Sad but true. No avowed atheist would stand a chance. It takes lies to get into the place where we most hate liars.
Trying to update my sig ...
[Image: Perry.jpg]
Personally I'm pro-2nd amendment . So while no fan of Perry, that picture represents his Constitutional right while a Fundy near the trigger isn't anything new just as much as those who say claiming they're a Christian candidate isn't either.

Quote:"From time to time there are going to be things that occur that are acts of God that cannot be prevented." Texas Gov. Rick Perry, May 3, 2010

I'd love to see a qualified atheist throw their name in the hat for 2012. I'd love to see them have enough guts and enough backing to speak the truth about the absurdities that have been demonstrated in office by those who claim to be Christian, those who hope to run for the highest office while holding a lesser one and publicly warn everyone listening as to their motivations and agenda if elected to the Presidency, when they speak as if this is a Theocracy and a nation for Christian's and Christian ideology only, while they example themselves as bigots, fascists and outright morons in the process.

Sure, that atheist would never stand a chance of winning in the polls. They'd probably be lucky not to be killed by a devout Fundy who elects to ignore the 6th commandment as it suits. However, I think it would be a refreshing change to the same rhetoric every 4 years. And since parishioners are leaving the churches at a regular basis while atheism and atheist book titles are enjoying a surge in sales that often challenges religious, it may help to bolster the exodus that's already transpiring as people finally wake up and realize superstition, myth and fear doesn't serve to profit them anything more than feeling less than worthy of all the good things in life that they could achieve if they'd only work for it instead of begging what doesn't exist in order to hear them, for it.

One wonders what are the odds and who'd stand to sit as President first? An avowed Muslim or an atheist. An avowed Mormon, as Romney hopes to achieve as the first, or an atheist? A Pagan or an atheist? Between any of the two candidates, the atheist being the one constant amid all three, who'd stand to be voted in first as what the Fundy majority in this country would have to consider, when their candidate is out of the mix for this little scenario, to lead them?

What a country we are today, for all those god believers who've thus far led the way.

"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
Quote:They'd probably be lucky not to be killed by a devout Fundy who elects to ignore the 6th commandment as it suits

Yeah - because those dickheads think the 2d Amendment ( I wonder what militia company they are in?) trumps that "thou shalt not kill" shit.

(July 17, 2011 at 11:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:They'd probably be lucky not to be killed by a devout Fundy who elects to ignore the 6th commandment as it suits

Yeah - because those dickheads think the 2d Amendment ( I wonder what militia company they are in?) trumps that "thou shalt not kill" shit.
Actually Militia is but one factor present in the inalienable right to bear arms according to the 2nd amendment.

Furthermore, the radical violent Fundy's compulsion to further their religious agenda trumps all manner of reason. The second amendment has nothing to do with it.

Guns are just a means to an end in those cases where extremists go the extra violent mile.They'd use any weapon at hand if guns did not exist.

As we witnessed in the trial of Scott Roeder who shot and killed Dr. Tiller. Scott Roeder had knives in his getaway car in the event the bullet didn't kill the OBGYN/Abortion provider, Mr. Roeder intended to cut off Dr.Tiller's hands in order to prevent him from performing abortions.

Brian Tracy
Interesting:

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm

As a former sheriff's deputy, I can't say that I am impressed with how most gun nuts choose to interpret the 2nd Amendment, but they seem to be less a problem than nuts with guns.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anybody noticed Rick Perry's prayer meetings? JuliaL 5 1443 May 25, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'd Have Expected This in Texas....Not Oregon Minimalist 23 4685 March 27, 2014 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Texas devolving binny 20 8106 November 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Secular volunteer opportunities for atheists/humanists of Houston Texas Ziploc Surprise 0 3030 May 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Atheist Recieves Death Threats after Case to Remove Prayer Banner mediamogul 10 4899 April 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  IHOP Sues a Prayer Group. Eilonnwy 4 1939 September 18, 2010 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Watson
  The Secular Coalition of America calls for action against the Texas School Board Eilonnwy 3 1833 August 20, 2010 at 11:09 am
Last Post: leo-rcc