Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, you found out your gay child just got married...
So, you found out your gay child just got married...
I've seen most of the separate arguments laid out before, but this is the best condensing and combining of all of them I've read thus far. Please pass it on if you feel it can help someone in any way.

http://thinking-critically.com/2011/07/1...t-married/

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: So, you found out your gay child just got married...
(July 20, 2011 at 9:15 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: I've seen most of the separate arguments laid out before, but this is the best condensing and combining of all of them I've read thus far. Please pass it on if you feel it can help someone in any way.

http://thinking-critically.com/2011/07/1...t-married/

Quote:Gay sex is gross

I guess the people who say this have never gotten head in a dark room?
Oh, in the name of all that is good and holy in Odin's beard, was that the most derailed thread in all existence.

A shame, really, because the write up in the OP really deserves better discussion and consideration.

I like the step-by-step selection of bible quotes and history to deal with anti-gay Christians.
(July 21, 2011 at 1:52 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Oh, in the name of all that is good and holy in Odin's beard, was that the most derailed thread in all existence.

Blame Gawdzilla Tongue

Quote:A shame, really, because the write up in the OP really deserves better discussion and consideration.

I like the step-by-step selection of bible quotes and history to deal with anti-gay Christians.

I didn't think much of it (I noted earlier that he even misspelt beastiality). But I'll try to keep in the fun thread, not the original Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
He went on a rant against prejudice and you have a problem with the fact that he accidentally misspelled a word?

I am sorry I and the blogger are not entertaining enough, but I did not post this here to entertain - I did it because I thought it was worth spreading around to anyone who needs help or encouragement. There are many people on this forum and outside of it who could use portions of this blog post, be they atheist, homosexual, and yes even transsexual. I thought it was rather thorough and the only complaint I had against it was that he didn't address certain portions of the "slippery slope" he mentioned that I felt were important. But please, tell me where I'm wrong.

I will endeavor not to bore anyone again unless I have questions about oral or anal sex.

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I thought it was a good write up and made some very good points. Mostly though, I just felt bad for the daughter being talked about, because it sounds as if her parents are complete dicks when it comes to homosexuality.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 21, 2011 at 10:11 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: He went on a rant against prejudice and you have a problem with the fact that he accidentally misspelled a word?

I am sorry I and the blogger are not entertaining enough, but I did not post this here to entertain - I did it because I thought it was worth spreading around to anyone who needs help or encouragement. There are many people on this forum and outside of it who could use portions of this blog post, be they atheist, homosexual, and yes even transsexual. I thought it was rather thorough and the only complaint I had against it was that he didn't address certain portions of the "slippery slope" he mentioned that I felt were important. But please, tell me where I'm wrong.

I will endeavor not to bore anyone again unless I have questions about oral or anal sex.
Don't let petty BS stop you from posting articles you think we'd find of interest. Just recall that old adage in matters of dismissal of the whole article for want of a missing vowel in one word as; can't see the forest for the tree.

I liked this article because while Mr.Randall was speaking to a family he knew personally, he was actually speaking for a great many unknowns who suffer this maltreatment by their closest and trusted blood family, every single day.

I can't imagine, if I had a child, telling them they were no longer my son or daughter if they told me they were gay. I'd like to think as an attentive parent I'd have some kind of clue before they decided to break the news. And I'd certainly strive to be the kind of parent that when they realized they were gay they wouldn't fear talking to me about it.

One thing about this article is the family to whom it is addressed is outed in their own right for being the kind of parents who hold religious mythology at a higher standard of respect than their own child. While no names are used to identify them, in the reading of it they'd certainly know who they are, because they know the author. While it actively intends to side with the friends daughter, it also brings to her parents attention, that is if they're conscious enough to realize it, how hypocritical they are when they aspire to cleave to Bible tenets that command they not tolerate homosexuality in their daughter, while they elect to renounce those scripture that impart love and respect for one's child is a sacred duty.

However, it's not really all that surprising that one more Christian family falls into line with others who turn their back on their gay child(ren). I call it elective scriptural adherence. Fundies cite scripture as they see fit to excuse their bias attitudes and behavior against certain members of society and even their own family. While they're not consistent in obedience to all those Old Testament laws of god that they're required to obey, as Christians holding to the fundamental immutable commands of god.

Great article. Keep 'em coming. Smile
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
(July 21, 2011 at 10:11 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: He went on a rant against prejudice and you have a problem with the fact that he accidentally misspelled a word?

Problem? No... amusement at it Smile My internet spell check didn't even think it was a word (beastiality) and wanted to correct it to 'bestiality'... so I think that is probably what happened to him.

Quote:I am sorry I and the blogger are not entertaining enough, but I did not post this here to entertain - I did it because I thought it was worth spreading around to anyone who needs help or encouragement. There are many people on this forum and outside of it who could use portions of this blog post, be they atheist, homosexual, and yes even transsexual. I thought it was rather thorough and the only complaint I had against it was that he didn't address certain portions of the "slippery slope" he mentioned that I felt were important. But please, tell me where I'm wrong.

Don't be sorry that people sometimes post serious things Undecided Seriously: anyone who needs help and encouragement to cope with who they are needs to get a grip. They are not broken, and there is no 'correct' paradigm. The only place I'd declare you 'wrong' in this case is in responding so harshly to something that was not an attack.

I agree that 'slippery slope' is a terrible argument whoever proposes it.

Quote:I will endeavor not to bore anyone again unless I have questions about oral or anal sex.

I try to do that on a daily basis, but apparently I am too predictable Heart
(July 21, 2011 at 11:46 am)Judas BentHer Wrote: Don't let petty BS stop you from posting articles you think we'd find of interest. Just recall that old adage in matters of dismissal of the whole article for want of a missing vowel in one word as; can't see the forest for the tree.

I sometimes wonder if the general people have a clue. Thinking
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
To be honest, I am also turned off of articles with misspellings or grammatical mistakes. That is probably because the hard work that goes into proper editing lends credibility for me. That being said, there are probably a few in my published works, so I hope no one else does that too much.

Everyone has different tastes, Summer. Don't take it personally. Heart

I'm going to go give that article more of a read and come back with my thoughts or lack thereof.
(July 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: The only place I'd declare you 'wrong' in this case is in responding so harshly to something that was not an attack.

May I suggest not posting such asinine responses in topics that are obviously serious in future then? I can totally see why TSQ responded the way she did, I'd be upset too if someone took a dump on the topic I feel strongly about.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I just found the coolest thing on the planet The Valkyrie 5 563 July 14, 2021 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 7118 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What ya got growing this summer? brewer 11 537 June 5, 2021 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What'sa matta, cat got your question? Brian37 49 2154 January 2, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Mysterious monolith found zebo-the-fat 35 1488 December 7, 2020 at 9:48 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Fenn's Treasure Found onlinebiker 11 1158 June 19, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Got Plates? onlinebiker 23 1450 June 3, 2020 at 6:32 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Got Gator? onlinebiker 23 1924 May 24, 2020 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Got gas? onlinebiker 52 3571 April 30, 2020 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  K-pods, whatcha got? Gawdzilla Sama 4 711 April 12, 2020 at 7:24 am