Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
religion as an aspect of human nature deriving from the language we use
religion as an aspect of human nature deriving from the language we use
This is the second of three excerpts from her appearance on Bill Moyers' "Faith and Reason" for television (2006). I find her perspective unusual as she claims to have been raised a "strict agnostic". From what I can tell, most (though not all) of the people here on the forums were raised with some sort of religion and had to escape, myself included. She will piss some of you off when she goes on to say atheism is a religion in that it claims to have certain knowledge about god. (To that I can only say "whatever", some questions of semantics are more fruitful than others.)

I appreciate what she says about language and how our sort of language leads to the 'hunger for god'. She seems to believe that using the language we do (as opposed to the sort dogs use for example) inevitably leads to tales of origins and final destinations that go beyond the knowable. (Maybe, whatever.)

Then she makes a nice point about the subjective reality of god/religion at about 1:47 minutes. While she would hold back the word "knowledge" to only that which can be repeatably demonstrated, there are subjective experiences which can not be collectively demonstrated but which we would never deny. "I spoke to god" can be at least as real as "I had a dream", within the subjective reality of the person doing the dreaming. While we would all grant you your dream, most of us would probably say "you were dreaming" about the conversation with the deity.

Atheism seems to be on sure footing when it comes to science and verifiable knowledge. But it seems a lot less nimble when it comes to providing a robust accounting of human subjective experience. This is the question that still interests me. While religious experience has no place in the realm of knowledge, it undeniably has a place in the subjective experience of many people and has for a very long time.

Of course it is important to end religious intolerance and violence, but the tendency to feel smug about ones own position and hatred toward those who don't or won't share it did not arise with religion. It is human nature, though no bragging point. But there is also the phenomena of the meaning and fulfillment a good number of intelligent people claim to draw from religious experience to be accounted for. That baby may not have to go out with the bath water.

Anyhow, now I'm just rambling on about what I think but suffice to say I find much of what Margaret Atwood has to say in this interview interesting in helping pursue these ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmVD7XcRb6Y

Sorry if the video doesn't appear directly. I'm not too technologically savvy. Just in case here is the url too.

http://youtu.be/QmVD7XcRb6Y
RE: religion as an aspect of human nature deriving from the language we use
You need language to have religion, a bark just cant convey complex ideas.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 26, 2011 at 12:24 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: You need language to have religion, a bark just cant convey complex ideas.

Right but I think they mean that having a concept of past and future leads to questions of what came before and what will come after. Still it does seem a stretch to view it as inevitable to ask what came before everyone one we ever knew, or, what will happen to me after I die.
KET2..bluegrass public?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please Use This Song (Jon Lajoie) WinterHold 1 354 December 1, 2020 at 11:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  Nature is metal paulpablo 1 676 September 29, 2017 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Use A Video To Express Yourself Excited Penguin 46 3886 November 22, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Practical Use For Burqa Cato 2 860 April 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Richard Feynman on the probabilistic nature of light. theVOID 0 1045 December 26, 2009 at 8:05 am
Last Post: theVOID