Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The burden of proof
The burden of proof
Now the one thing I'm tired of hearing is this "You have no proof that god does not exist"

Ok firstly atheists are not responsible for dis-proving god. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim. Theists made the claim and so it's down to them to prove what there claiming.

We cannot dis-prove god but theist cannot prove god. it's a stand still, Until atheists dismiss the claim. Dismissing doesn't mean claiming or knowing there's no god, it's plain and simple dismissal. Rejecting the claim in other words.

There's a saying for it "If you claim without evidence it will be dismissed without evidence"

The burden of proof is on the one making the claim and should they fail to at lest bring some kind of evidence enough to at lest call it a theory then it will be dismissed. It's nothing more than a hypothesis, This is why it can be dismissed. If it was a theory then it cannot be dismissed because it would have evidence.

The christian beliefs have been dismissed/Rejected due to lack of evidence. So have the muslim religion and many other religions.

Also do not confuse dismissal with beliefs and claims. Dismissal doesn't mean that you know, your simply rejecting the claim.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: The burden of proof
Agreed. It seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding that theists have, that we atheist must prove our disbelief but in anything scientific or life in general, the person who makes the claim must provide the proof. If I said I had 9 fingers you'd say prove it! (I do have all 10, btw) It reminds me of an 4chan/anonymous meme "Pics, or it didn't happen!"

But somehow relgion has twisted their claim to be truth and that you must have proof to disbelieve. And then they have the audicity to say faith is proof! Or look around at life, that's proof! Or, I feel Jesus so it must be true! And then wonder why we don't accept these arguments as proof.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
It's also a great reason why I.D fails so miserably. Evolution has the evidence, it is safe. I.D is a great theory, I would believe it in an instant. I just have one bit of evidence I need to see:

The "intelligent" designer.
There's a planet exactly on the opposite side of the sun on the exact same orbit as our own.

You cannot disprove it therefore I win.
Well we can, but that would ruin your perfectly good point Tongue
(September 2, 2008 at 6:55 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Well we can, but that would ruin your perfectly good point Tongue

I know but if I try to use an example that cannot be proven or disproven it sounds too moronic for Theists to get the point.
(September 2, 2008 at 5:35 pm)Tiberius Wrote: It's also a great reason why I.D fails so miserably. Evolution has the evidence, it is safe. I.D is a great theory, I would believe it in an instant. I just have one bit of evidence I need to see:

The "intelligent" designer.
ID has a serious flaw in it because it relies on the concept of irreducible complexity. Proponents of ID claim that there are things which cannot be explained by evolution supposedley because the complexity does not allow for intermediate transitional forms. I take that to be a very serious flaw in their reasoning.

I only have experience with theists asking for prood that God does not exist only in those cases where the atheist claims that God does not exist as if its a fact or something they can prove. We them simply call them out. Others ask them to prove it in an attempt to shut them up. Nobody really expects a proof though. Its an attempt to obtain their assumptions and then they try to show their assumptions are nothing more than beliefs.

Pete
(September 2, 2008 at 6:53 pm)Brick-top Wrote: There's a planet exactly on the opposite side of the sun on the exact same orbit as our own.

That's a terrible example since, in principle, it is possible to prove otherwise in principle.
You can't prove a negative, that's just what it boils down to. Some might call that a victory for theists, but those people are stupid. It's a logical fallacy to say something is true because it cannot be disproved. Arguing any further than this is just giving your opponent far too much credit.

Brick-top's example wasn't well thought out. Just refer Russell's teapot for this argument. It's a well-known previously established hypothetical that does the trick.
(September 6, 2008 at 10:22 pm)Pete Wrote: Pete
(September 2, 2008 at 6:53 pm)Brick-top Wrote: There's a planet exactly on the opposite side of the sun on the exact same orbit as our own.

That's a terrible example since, in principle, it is possible to prove otherwise in principle.

In that case there's an invisible floating hamster keeping our universe in a bottle of pills.

You can't prove me wrong therefore I win.
(September 6, 2008 at 10:22 pm)Pete Wrote: ID has a serious flaw in it because it relies on the concept of irreducible complexity. Proponents of ID claim that there are things which cannot be explained by evolution supposedley because the complexity does not allow for intermediate transitional forms. I take that to be a very serious flaw in their reasoning.
Precisely.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2002 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5223 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Burden of Proof Annik 21 6787 December 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  The burden of proof; who is it on? Creed of Heresy 15 5326 March 7, 2012 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy