Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A very nice find
A very nice find
by Toto at Freethought and Rationalism.

http://phdiva.blogspot.com/2011/08/early...ixion.html

Quote:Early depictions of the Passion of Christ tended to omit the crucifixion, and there are very few representations of it in the Early Christian and Early Byzantine period. The Basque Crucifixion was shown to be a modern fake created by Basque separatists; who's represented in the Alexamenos Graffito will never be certain, nor can it be dated with much certainty; and the fresco in a tomb on the Esquiline pre-dates the Christian period by several centuries. Several graffiti from Pompeii mention crucifixion but as a Roman insult or punishment (source). Although the Romans used crucifixion regularly, again in pre-Christian art it was very rarely depicted. There are very few images of crucifixion, and not all can be linked to Jesus' crucifixion.
RE: A very nice find
Min; no depictions because crucifixion was seen as an insulting, shameful way to die? Invented by the Egyptians, adopted by Persians,and then by the Romans?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Tangent: There is an obsessive conspiracy theorist called "Kookaburra Jack" who pops up all over the place. His hypothesis is there is no credible evidence for Christianity before Constantine and the first Council of Nicea.IE that Constantine invented Christianity. Pretty sure he's been here. He made the mistake of posting his ideas on Historum,where there are some pretty good historians. Got handed his head.
I was reading that article and I was not aware anybody had dated the Alexamenos Graffito so early (1st century). I thought it was at most 2nd century and more likely 3rd when Christianity really started becoming a presence in the towns and cities of the Roman Empire.
undefined
Pad there is a variant of that theory.....by a country man of yours also I believe named Pete Brown. At Freerat he goes under the name Mountainman. In addition, in Lost Christianities Bart Ehrman spends a lot of time going over the evolution of orthodox xtianity from what he styles "proto-orthodoxy" ( i.e., the group which became the orthodox. Coincidentally ( or not ) Ehrman traces this development to the end of the 3d century....which is also the beginning of the 4th. There were many church councils held over the next century and a half.
Nicaea was merely the first.

I have an electronic version of Lost Christianities. PM an email address if you'd like to look it over.
(August 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: by Toto at Freethought and Rationalism.

http://phdiva.blogspot.com/2011/08/early...ixion.html

Quote:Early depictions of the Passion of Christ tended to omit the crucifixion, and there are very few representations of it in the Early Christian and Early Byzantine period. The Basque Crucifixion was shown to be a modern fake created by Basque separatists; who's represented in the Alexamenos Graffito will never be certain, nor can it be dated with much certainty; and the fresco in a tomb on the Esquiline pre-dates the Christian period by several centuries. Several graffiti from Pompeii mention crucifixion but as a Roman insult or punishment (source). Although the Romans used crucifixion regularly, again in pre-Christian art it was very rarely depicted. There are very few images of crucifixion, and not all can be linked to Jesus' crucifixion.

Yes, very true, Christians did not really use the cross as a symbol until around 420 AD. The early focus of the church was on the resurrection and symbols of life, which is a trend that can still be seen in the Eastern Orthodox church today. In fact, this emphasis on life was present throughout the history of the church in the east, with the western church centered in Rome being responsible for the rise of the cross as a symbol.

The rise in the use of the cross as a symbol and the emphasis on martyrs came at the same time as the rise of Christian Nominalism (Christians is name only) when it became socially favorable to convert to Christianity due to the influence of the emperor. Previous generations of Christians that remembered the "good ol' days" of being a rag-tag group of truly dedicated people wanted ways to bring back the feeling of dedication and sacrifice to the church. This led to the rise of the monastic movement and a subsequent increase in imagery that was related to sacrifice, i.e. the crucifixion and martyrs.

This is a really interesting topic, I was studying it at some length last year. That article you found is a great little overview of early Christian art.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9491 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2388 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 1954 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is priestly pedophilia really a sacrament ? How we can find out . . . vorlon13 12 1818 August 28, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Nice Going, "God." Minimalist 65 17220 October 13, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Yeah He's Crazy But In A Nice Way Minimalist 21 6293 July 2, 2017 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Nice Work Jesus....ya scumbag. Minimalist 50 5590 June 5, 2016 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christians Make Me Sick ~ Eve th Nice Ones Rhondazvous 16 3273 May 17, 2016 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5209 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Video Very interesting Steve Shives episode robvalue 2 1312 July 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: robvalue