Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I Sell?
Should I Sell?
I posted this song on Youtube so I could get an opinion.

I wrote it with a guitarist friend of mine a few years ago and nothing ever came of it. Recently however, I got an offer from a buyer. Songs can be sold several ways. This particular buyer wants to pay an up front fee for full rights of ownership. Odds are, nothing will happen, but if the general public thinks the song is good and it's re-recorded by the right artist I could lose out on a lot of royalties should the song take off.

So, go ahead, be honest - should I sell?

[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Should I Sell?
Are you actively seeking to pursue song writing on a professional level? If so, it wouldn't hurt to hold out for a better deal. It's lyrically beautiful! How popular is the band that wants it? There is much to be considered. If this is more of just a hobby for you, sell it to them. You never know, they could get big, ask you to write more songs for them, and perhaps you could negotiate a more profitable arrangement.

If it does well and your credited as writer wouldnt it look good on a future CV.
Just a thought.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I think it depends on how significant the offer is. If it's big enough, I would consider taking it. The song does have potential to be popular, but this offer is cash in the hand. That's my two cents at least.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I say sell on the condition that you are credited with writing it.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
So sell, it is.

I spose - better to get a guaranteed something rather than a unlikely fortune.

Very cool stuff, my friend! Congrats either way.
Trying to update my sig ...
Have you considered discussing it with a professional agent?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(September 11, 2011 at 11:05 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Have you considered discussing it with a professional agent?

A long time ago - when I was young and had possibilities. These days, there's not a whole lot of agents representing unknown song writers in West Michigan.

Good stuff bud.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!