Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Gray: religion isn’t about truth (and science ain’t so hot, either)
John Gray: religion isn’t about truth (and science ain’t so hot, either)
Jerry Coyne on his blog Why Evolution is True has in my opinion thoroughly refuted what in his words are religiously-based attacks on science used by accommodationists and others to debase science, dragging it down to the level of faith. Coyne wrote this blog piece in reply to an essay by British political philosopher John Gray entitled Can religion tell us more than science?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14944470

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/...ot-either/ Jerry Coyne's excellent reply to John Gray
undefined
RE: John Gray: religion isn’t about truth (and science ain’t so hot, either)
John Gray is an idiot. Tell any 'believer' on this site that their beliefs are irrelevant to their religion and see what kind of response you get. He hasn't copped on that what people believe has a direct bearing on how people live their lives. What a moronic piece of drivel.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
I've got to admit that, to an extent, I still admire John Gray, partially due to his book Straw Dogs.

On the article at hand, while many religions could very well be, in theory, supposed to be more about practice, than ideas of "religious truth," the fact is that a lot of believers have decided that the opposite is true, and that what's more, have decided to see if enforce them on anyone they can.

And, of course, there's his problematic idea of making religion out to be a sort of platonic "Noble Lie" that's supposed to give people solidarity. Here's the problem I have with noble lies: When people finally debunk those "noble lies," and society has managed to hinge on them in the interim, the results aren't pretty.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I've only heard of John Gray being mentioned in The Guardian for his attacks on free market globalization. He makes some interesting points from what I can recall.

This essay on the other hand was terrible. It felt like a half-hearted assault on 'science' in general. What point was he trying to make?
(September 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: I've only heard of John Gray being mentioned in The Guardian for his attacks on free market globalization. He makes some interesting points from what I can recall.

This essay on the other hand was terrible. It felt like a half-hearted assault on 'science' in general. What point was he trying to make?

Knowing John Gray, it seems like he's a man who does his damnedest to speak out against any sort of all-encompassing ideology, and it seems like he sees science [or more precisely, logical positivism] as more and more becoming a religion of its own. It helps to read some Wittgenstein.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6885 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3519 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3183 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Perhaps none of us know the truth Transcended Dimensions 20 3740 March 10, 2018 at 8:01 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38816 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37217 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7830 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 6758 January 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  John Lennox and Richard Dawkins TheMonster 8 2245 October 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: TheMonster