Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More to life than faith
More to life than faith
Hi there. I am an ex-Muslim, 18, and what better way to start being an adult than having a good dose of critical thinking. I live in a very Christian country but raised in a Muslim family. There's not much option for me but to study in Christian schools. They regularly conduct mass for the students so I am left to one side just waiting. This somehow gave me a lot of time to think. I've been through a lot of questions.

Why do we need to worship this guy in thy sky? Don't you think we're giving so much valuable time and resources enforcing onto others the existence of God which has very weak logical foundation? And what about this morality, what makes such things good or bad?

As social living things, our instinct tells us to use intelligence to work together to build, sustain and advance life. As human beings, that is our ultimate objective. That is what makes morality objective. Searching for truth and knowledge is part of building, sustaining and advancing life and it is good. For me, believing in God is somewhat giving up. I know science, math and logic are some of the few subjects hard to comprehend. But that's no reason to quit and just let some ancient book do the thinking for you. And brainwashing people to give up is not good.

Basically that's it. I'll just elaborate some points if needed.
RE: More to life than faith
Welcome, and good day to you.

As you probably already know, you will find a warm welcome here.
Cunt
Hey there! Good to have a few ex-Muslim atheists, quite an under-represented group. Out of interest, where are you from?

Either way, welcome.
Welcome! Smile

Yeah I often have conversations with theists who argue "God is perfect therefore we must worship him!", and I respond with the logical premise "A perfect immortal being does not want or need such adoration or devotion, especially from mortals"

They're rather short discussions indeed. XD
Welcome,

Why do you not disclose your sex? For that matter why does anyone not disclose that. (I can think of a small handful of others)

This is a place where men and women are on equal footing at all times. In no way is either sex discriminated against here and whether you are a man or a woman (or in some cases - temporarily both) you will not be judged for these distinctions.

The forums certainly allow for non-disclosure, I just personally don't see why it's an issue to let people know your particular sex. Do not feel that you have to disclose that information - I'm just wondering WHY?
[Image: Evolution.png]

Hello convert, welcome to a wonderful forum.

You see what happens when you actually use your brain to think?

Smile
The better we know someone the more enjoyable a conversation with them can be
Cunt
Thanks. I'm from the Philippines actually (the place where some devout Christians crucify themselves in public to be closer to Christ. Pointless and gruesome tradition if you ask me). Anyway good news is I see some of my classmates approaching me asking me to discuss to them about logic, morality, secularism etc. I feel their fascination is a good start.
Welcome. Your intro reminds me of a limerick by George Gamow.

Quote:There once was a man from Trinity

Who took [the square root of infinity]

But the number digits,

Gave him the fidgets;

he dropped Math and took up Divinity
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm)Cinjin Wrote: Welcome,

Why do you not disclose your sex? For that matter why does anyone not disclose that. (I can think of a small handful of others)

This is a place where men and women are on equal footing at all times. In no way is either sex discriminated against here and whether you are a man or a woman (or in some cases - temporarily both) you will not be judged for these distinctions.

The forums certainly allow for non-disclosure, I just personally don't see why it's an issue to let people know your particular sex. Do not feel that you have to disclose that information - I'm just wondering WHY?

For that matter, I was just lazy to fill in the blanks about my personal information. I'm a male. Anyway, there you go. Thanks
Besides being an atheist, we'll I also like art, especially music and architecture. Architecture is what I'm actually taking up in college. In architecture, it's not only about erecting buildings, it's applying science and art, history, sociology etc. So, basically I have to study a bit of everything (including religion for that matter).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I lost my faith in Christianity at 4 highdimensionman 21 2105 May 25, 2022 at 3:53 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Hello athesist planet. Just lost my faith. Now What? Suz 28 2499 May 23, 2020 at 2:55 am
Last Post: JohnMBauer
  The Intersection of Faith and Doubt: finding common ground. XK9_Knight 30 4228 July 5, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Newbie (In more ways than one) DarkHorse 22 3328 February 20, 2014 at 7:00 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  new member, new site: Help Shed the Faith HelpShedtheFaith 2 1549 January 22, 2012 at 12:01 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Testing My Faith Faith Tester 19 7238 July 19, 2009 at 3:03 am
Last Post: russian555