Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Intersection of Faith and Doubt: finding common ground.
The Intersection of Faith and Doubt: finding common ground.
I’ll state out right that I am a Christian. Call me what you will, “ignorant, stupid, sheltered,” whatever floats your goat (Perhaps that can be my title instead of Christard?). Nonetheless I’d be very interested in interacting with this community. To be honest I nearly gave up my faith at least twice, although I’m not sure what kept me from it (a story for another time, I suppose).

The major factor for joining a community like this where I’m unwanted is this statement from John Locke, “For till it be resolved how far we are to be guided by reason, and how far by faith, we shall in vain dispute, and endeavor to convince one another in matters of religion.” And who on the basis of experience disagree with this statement?

Anyone who has watched a debate on theism and atheism (or any topic for that matter) may leave with a sense of unease… or at least in need of a hefty dose Alka-Seltzer. There’s often contact with one’s arguments during rebuttals but the opponents seem strangely un-phased by the other. No deep reflection has taken place; no real engagement has occurred. Much of what I see are people talking at each other with a considerable degree of emotional distance from one another.

Although you and I differ markedly in what we believe about reality we nonetheless have some things in common: fear, loss, love. So I’m curious, is there a rich, resonant question that fosters intellectual agreement?

Put more simply what do you and I agree on; do we share some common ground?

I don’t expect to find this “rich, resonant” question right away; part of the fun with questions like these are in the discussion. But, let’s not entertain the possibility that is no common ground unless it comes to that point, shall we? Wink
RE: The Intersection of Faith and Doubt: finding common ground.
Why do you come here assuming we'll all hate you just because you're Christian?
Just curious.
Anyways, welcome to the forum. Try to keep an open mind and you should get along just fine. Nice to meet you Smile
Have some cookies

On a side note I just learned a creepy new fact by googling Jesus cookies....
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Well, welcome aboard. As for being unwanted, not necessarily. If you're here to preach or try to win converts or you decide to start telling us who we are and what we think you'll become a bit of a pariah. On the other hand, if you offer lively debate, logical reasoning and have a thick skin, you'll be quite welcome.

Eat a bunch. The rainbows are so awesome! Angel
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Of course I share common ground with Christians. We are both human. We have many things in common. What we don't share is a belief in god.

I suspect we also don't share the same dispassion when considering gods and religions. You probably look at them all as myths except Christianity. For Christ, you have faith. But I just happen to see Christianity as a myth too. This is because I look at all religions, including yours through the same lens. That lens is rational and empirical.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Quote:"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts

Welcome.... provisionally.
G'day matey. Jimbo here.
What you describe as "common" is indisputable.
We are all human beings with emotions.
When you mention "what we believe about reality", I thought we all live in the same reality?

Welcome aboard.
The fact that you have come here means you are at the very least, interested to hear or question our side of the story.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Jesus welcomes you! In the name of the FSM, May sauce be upon Him!
Hello brave one. Big Grin

I had questions and doubts for quite a few years before I shed the chains of christianity. All religion is brainwashing at-it's-finest, in my opinion.

There's a spot for here you somewhere. Take a deep breath and grab a seat.

Welcome! Hedgehog
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
[quote='XK9_Knight' pid='700993' dateline='1404451555']

Of course I won't hate you for being Christian, I'm going to marry a Christian in a few years. As long as you're not a close minded fundamentalist that supports stoning people to death you'll have no problems interacting with us, but keep in mind most atheists here will constantly disagree with you on god/religion.

Now the magical question, why exactly do you believe?

Welcome! Big Grin
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Welcome. Many of us do not think you have to be brain-hobbled to be a theist. It remains to be seen in your own case but you certainly sound promising to me. I rather like debate that extends beyond the choir so a heart felt welcome to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I lost my faith in Christianity at 4 highdimensionman 21 2092 May 25, 2022 at 3:53 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Hello athesist planet. Just lost my faith. Now What? Suz 28 2495 May 23, 2020 at 2:55 am
Last Post: JohnMBauer
  Two different beliefs, one common cause The Grand Nudger 13 1378 October 11, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Finding Community Living in Death 16 1863 January 29, 2015 at 6:40 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  new member, new site: Help Shed the Faith HelpShedtheFaith 2 1547 January 22, 2012 at 12:01 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  More to life than faith medviation 13 1837 September 27, 2011 at 6:31 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Testing My Faith Faith Tester 19 7219 July 19, 2009 at 3:03 am
Last Post: russian555