Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and Spirituality
Atheism and Spirituality
Atheism is the non-belief in a god or gods.

However that definition does not rule out a belief in the supernatural. So what I'm wondering is what you think about spiritual/supernatural experiences? All those religious experiences that people supposedly have, they may simply be something science can explain or something science hasn't yet entered.

Is there a spiritual world for an atheist? Keeping in mind that atheism is simply the non-belief in a god or gods, and not the belief that there is nothing spiritual about this world.

Has anyone here had a spiritual experience that they choose to enjoy/believe, regardless of what they believe about the existence of a god?
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
RE: Atheism and Spirituality
Your first line says it all.

There may well be for some ... not for me. I suspect that those, like me, who arrive at a position of atheism through rational thought would also reject other supernatural views.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
That's what I thought.

Most people would assume that alongside the non-belief in a god or gods comes a non-belief in anything unexplainable by science. I'm not decided. I don't believe in god but am open to the idea that there is something which we may not understand about the supposed "supernatural" or "spiritual". Perhaps I'm just looking for an explanation of the spiritual experiences people have, and at the same time, I find it hard to believe that more than half the world is wrong about their personal view regarding spirituality.

Not to say that there is a god, for I am completely against that. And it might be worth noting that the "spiritual" or "supernatural" is simply that which science has failed to explain so far. Science may well involve itself and have some definitive answers in the near future.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
Yea it's uncommon but, personal experiences can play a big part of things. I know now that I am an adult that the 'ghosts' I saw as a child, even the ones I clearly saw with my own eyes can still have been forged in my imagination. Which is rather powerfull.

I guess I don't actually beleive in anything supernatural but, I do have an affection for some things. Psychic powers for example, If possible would be an amazing step in our evolutionary path. I won't make any claims of their existence until the scientific process shows it to be possible but, I see no reason for us not to test crazy things.

Afterall, we may just be wrong (since we tend to assume it's bogus, understandably) and we may discover a kid with a mutation that allowed him to do something really cool and beyond what we would expect.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2554 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26877 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Spirituality as an atheist? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 69 8905 December 18, 2015 at 4:32 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12005 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Spirituality in Atheism wolfclan96 3 1190 January 18, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12381 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 11974 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10393 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3290 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  What proof and evidence is there for "atheism" to be accurate and correct? SavedByChrist94 42 21672 January 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aegrus