Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Jillette
Penn Jillette
I know not everyone likes him, but I enjoy his thoughts. Nothing utterly novel here, but good stuff nevertheless. Common themes here at AF:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/st...2/1?csp=ip
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: Penn Jillette
I like Penn Jillette. I don't agree with everything the guy says but generally he says it how it is. I particularly liked his programmes (not sure) on 'bullshit'. Especially the one where it was 'religion is bullshit'.

Here's what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RV46fsmx6E
I loved P&T's Bullshit! episodes, but they could tone down the profanity a bit. I'm not prude and I cuss like a truck driver, but that's one thing that turned my wife off from that show. Plus it seemed like they just kept interjecting it for shock value or when it wasn't needed.

They do raise a lot of good points, but there was one episode which left me disappointed. I think it was the one about multilevel marketing. I thought they should have shown exactly why it was bullshit, rather than just claiming that it was and showing people who didn't seem to be successful at it. They could have shown the business model of how it would work, having a distributor on every street corner selling X product, with few people buying, so they end up going out of business, and the only people making money are the ones at the top.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 2, 2011 at 11:00 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I loved P&T's Bullshit! episodes, but they could tone down the profanity a bit. I'm not prude and I cuss like a truck driver, but that's one thing that turned my wife off from that show. Plus it seemed like they just kept interjecting it for shock value or when it wasn't needed.

Guess you missed this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGwsoqHxDA

Clip from one of my favourite Bullshit! episodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KrjQqIXHdU
(November 2, 2011 at 11:00 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I loved P&T's Bullshit! episodes, but they could tone down the profanity a bit. I'm not prude and I cuss like a truck driver, but that's one thing that turned my wife off from that show. Plus it seemed like they just kept interjecting it for shock value or when it wasn't needed.

No no, there is a good reason they use it. If you say a person is lying, you can get sued for libel. If you say its bullshit, you are just stating a personal opinion and you are protected by the first amendment. Same thing with calling con-artists motherfuckers.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(November 3, 2011 at 1:36 pm)leo-rcc Wrote:

No no, there is a good reason they use it. If you say a person is lying, you can get sued for libel. If you say its bullshit, you are just stating a personal opinion and you are protected by the first amendment. Same thing with calling con-artists motherfuckers.

On one of their episodes they explained why they used the words they used. It was for this very reason -not to get sued.
P&T's "Bullshit!" is a brilliant series, but I think there was a couple of episodes where they were a bit less thorough than they should have been, but I'm sure this was mainly down to a lack of time more than anything else. Anyway, I saw this article yesterday and figured I should shoot it up here, it's Penn jillettes 10 commandments for atheists.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/st...50978982/1
"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself." Peter O'Toole.
LOL, Jay. You should have read the first link in this thread.
Trying to update my sig ...
(November 5, 2011 at 10:27 am)Epimethean Wrote: LOL, Jay. You should have read the first link in this thread.

Blush My apologies Epimethean, I do usually read all OP links, but I must have been multitasking at the time and got distracted. By the by, If any kindly mod would do me the favour of deleting my last comment before this one, and spare my blushes, it would be greatly appreciated. many thanks

"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself." Peter O'Toole.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Penn Jillette on atheism: End religion, don't replace it Creed of Heresy 20 5052 January 25, 2013 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Violet
  Penn and Teller Bullshit: The Bible Gooders1002 0 1850 May 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Penn and Teller Bullshit: The Vatican LarissaAnn 2 1585 December 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God, No by Penn Jillette kswheels 8 2804 August 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger