Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greeting from Vienna...
Greeting from Vienna...
Just wanted to say greeting to all.

I'm a (currently) 46 year old former professional cyclist (American) living in Vienna, Austria. My current occupation is avoiding real work as much as possible, writing philosophy (intellectual B.S. to match my B.S. in Philosophy and Religion) and training a few professional cyclists.

I'm not all too serious about things and seem to possess a bit of an off-center humour... not everyone's cup of tea, but hey... so what!

At the moment I have been making the attempt to teach myself something about quantum mechanics and gravitational astrometry. The fact that I have not studied math in the past 24 years does not help, but the fact that I'm dyslexia is probably the greatest problem. I'm not too bother by it all. This just happens to be the rock that my inner Sisyfus has found attractive to push. I'm quite certain that Zeus is about to wind-up and zap me in the butt sooner rather than later, but I carry on regardless.

There are a lot of other boring details I could post about the life and time of the mayor of simpleton, but that can wait. Sports stories, braintumours, torn achilles tendons, leaving the USA for Austria, finishing a major in Philosophy without being able to read properly, parents who are a bit of a challenge... let's face it "every soul is a circus" (speaking metaphorically, as there really is no soul, well... James Brown is perhaps an example of an exception).

Notice that I ramble on and on about nothing...

Perhaps I should have made my user name "major non sequitur", but I'll leave that up to you "good" folks (and I'm sure will all be ranting over the "good" is from time too time). Argue

Eventually I'll make a bio for those who are a bit more voyeuristic.

I hope that this will be a community where I can have a few thoughts and laughs... that's what matters the most.

Cheers too all and yes... my post all end with a cat call. Wink

Meow! Tiger

GREG
Moral is as moral does and as moral wishes it all too be. - MoS

The absence of all empirical evidence for the necessity of intuitive X existing is evidence against the necessary empirical existence of intuitive X - MoS (variation of 180proof)

Athesim is not a system of belief, but rather a single answer to a single question. It is the designation applied by theists to those who do not share their assumption that a god/deity exists. - MoS

I am not one to attribute godlike qualities to things that I am unable to understand. I may never be in the position to understand certain things, but I am not about to create an anthropomorphic deity out of my short-commings. I wish not to errect a monument to my own personal ignorace and demand that others worship this proxy of ego. - MoS
RE: Greeting from Vienna...
Welcome, sir.

I'm sure you will the banter here quite enjoyable.
Cunt
Greeting from Vienna...
After that intro I'm sure you'll fit right inSmile
Hi from western Oz
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Oooh, a philosopher. Should make a few of the boys happy.

Welcome, sir!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Just getting back into cycling here, though the closest I have ever been to professional was sharing an airport terminal with Lance Armstrong. I need a good leg workout without the severe compression of the powerlifting I have been doing for years, and which has taken its toll.

Welcome to AF.
Trying to update my sig ...
Welcome, as an American cyclist could you get me a drug dealers telephone number please?
(November 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Oooh, a philosopher. Should make a few of the boys happy.

Welcome, sir!

Whew... Philosopher! Well, someone's gotta do it.

I find myself laughing at what I write more often than not. I've been in it long enough to realize that I'm not going to set the world on fire with my "grand thoughts". Too much responsibility anyway.

Sure I cannot find adequate language to define a chair, but I have the good sense to sit in one when my back hurts.

I try to keep it real.

I hope I don't bug too many people here with my brand of absurdist quips. Let me know if I do. I can take a joke and criticism... is there really a difference? Tongue

Meow!

GREG

The absence of all empirical evidence for the necessity of intuitive X existing is evidence against the necessary empirical existence of intuitive X - MoS (variation of 180proof)

Athesim is not a system of belief, but rather a single answer to a single question. It is the designation applied by theists to those who do not share their assumption that a god/deity exists. - MoS

I am not one to attribute godlike qualities to things that I am unable to understand. I may never be in the position to understand certain things, but I am not about to create an anthropomorphic deity out of my short-commings. I wish not to errect a monument to my own personal ignorace and demand that others worship this proxy of ego. - MoS
A Supertroopers sign-off?
(November 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Just getting back into cycling here, though the closest I have ever been to professional was sharing an airport terminal with Lance Armstrong. I need a good leg workout without the severe compression of the powerlifting I have been doing for years, and which has taken its toll.

Welcome to AF.

Thanks for the welcome...

Powerlifting... ouch!

I do quite a bit of lifting, but no squats. Most leg press (isolated right from leg). If you've got some knee issue, let me know. I've been working as a trainer all of my life and tend to give all of my info away for free.

19 months ago I tore my achilles. Walked on it 2 weeks before we figured out it was a complete tear. 3 months after the operation I stepped in a hole and tore my calf from the top of the achilles, estimated 70%. We could not operate this one, as the bottom was shortened as it is. This past April, while playing baseball my knee (sam leg) sort of gave way while running after a ball. I caught it, but my knee started to crack. long story short, torn meniscus 3 degree. Operation was 12 weeks ago. I was back on the ball field 13 days later. Now my leg press is around 500 lbs (was over 800). I've had to become a bit of an authority in the field of recovery.

Anything you need... I'll see what I can do. It is a community here, right?

Meow!

GREG

Blew out my ACL during a fencing practice a few years ago, but the main brunt of the lifting injuries has been felt by my back. I competed for World Gym for three years, and have more injuries from those years than about anything besides motorcycling accidents.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greeting from Arizona Desert Diva 33 3333 March 30, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Greeting to all forum members Sami haddad 7 2244 August 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Wink Greeting from Oklahoma! passionatefool 12 2167 November 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen