Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could change the education system
If you could change the education system
How would you change the education system if you were able to?
RE: If you could change the education system
Make Critical Thinking a compulsory class.
Cunt
At high school in uk, more maths, science and history, less business, make sport opt in. Basically make school days longer.
I work in a school exactly like the one you envision, 5th. There is a reason it is one of the top ten schools in the country.
Trying to update my sig ...
Three things come to mind...

1) make an intro to logic, where the differences between truth, validity and soundness is made clear, as well as having a clarification as to what are fallacies... the hope is that children can actually learn how to "connect the dots" between difference fields of study, as well as have a ability to risk an individual opinion now and then. Basically so that they can have the courage to fail now and then, rather than play it so safe and sound that they drown in the masses.

2) have a greater emphasis upon physical fitness... what good is all the knowledge in the world if you have to be in a hospital bed with an oxygen mask just to keep the brain cells functioning.

3) grant the teachers more authority as to control their classrooms... parents who only have a few children are not really the best authorities as to educating larger classes. It's sort of like people who like to eat out in resturants making claim that they know best how to work in food services, better than the people who do it as a profession. Basically the ability to have children should not be confused with the ability to educate them. One requires the ability to communicate knowledge and the other just requires functioning sexual organs planting a seed into an egg.

Meow!

GREG

Moral is as moral does and as moral wishes it all too be. - MoS

The absence of all empirical evidence for the necessity of intuitive X existing is evidence against the necessary empirical existence of intuitive X - MoS (variation of 180proof)

Athesim is not a system of belief, but rather a single answer to a single question. It is the designation applied by theists to those who do not share their assumption that a god/deity exists. - MoS

I am not one to attribute godlike qualities to things that I am unable to understand. I may never be in the position to understand certain things, but I am not about to create an anthropomorphic deity out of my short-commings. I wish not to errect a monument to my own personal ignorace and demand that others worship this proxy of ego. - MoS
I would give kids much more choice as to what to learn, and they would be taught according to which methods are most effective to the individual. Creativity would be encouraged, and part of the teacher's job would be to identify talents and encourage them. And teaching wouldn't be restricted to the classroom.
The last school I taught at offered the trivium. I taught the intro to Classical logic two years running. Unfortunately, the other instructors did no justice to thinking and used the course as a glorified study hall. I won't even go into what happened to rhetoric.
Model after the Finnish school system, not the Korean one.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(November 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm)Mal Kiever Wrote: I would give kids much more choice as to what to learn, and they would be taught according to which methods are most effective to the individual. Creativity would be encouraged, and part of the teacher's job would be to identify talents and encourage them. And teaching wouldn't be restricted to the classroom.

That sort of choice can backfire a la Burger King consumerism. There is a scope and sequence which education must address, and then there are electives. Good teachers nearly always include challenges to creativity. Recently, the university came out to watch a Latin challenge I issued to students, and one of the deans told our principal that she had not seen anything so creative in challenging thinking at any school she had visited. That session was not inside a classroom.
(November 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm)Epimethean Wrote:
(November 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm)Mal Kiever Wrote: I would give kids much more choice as to what to learn, and they would be taught according to which methods are most effective to the individual. Creativity would be encouraged, and part of the teacher's job would be to identify talents and encourage them. And teaching wouldn't be restricted to the classroom.

That sort of choice can backfire a la Burger King consumerism. There is a scope and sequence which education must address, and then there are electives. Good teachers nearly always include challenges to creativity. Recently, the university came out to watch a Latin challenge I issued to students, and one of the deans told our principal that she had not seen anything so creative in challenging thinking at any school she had visited. That session was not inside a classroom.

I'm not sure what you mean there. How would my suggestions backfire? What kind of sequence are you talking about? What do you mean by challenges to creativity? I'm not disagreeing or agreeing but it's just that I don't know what you mean.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US National Alert System, aka Satan's Whistle. Gawdzilla Sama 10 715 October 5, 2023 at 1:07 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  When did this change? onlinebiker 6 434 October 4, 2022 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2062 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 812 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I could change my username again...... Foxaèr 29 1531 June 7, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  If you could have a conversation with anyone.. Cod 42 4908 July 21, 2019 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Economics and medicine in general education Macoleco 13 1220 June 13, 2019 at 1:33 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones." Gawdzilla Sama 11 940 May 21, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Wow , I have finally reached the last semester of my education :) Megabullshit 14 1674 April 15, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Color is the nonphysical and nonauditorial change in ones surroundings Heat 3 369 March 10, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu