Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A good way to learn to read piano music?
A good way to learn to read piano music?
Well I currently have had 3 semester of piano music and can read notes on the base/treble staff. However once the notes start going above and below the staff, even though I can read some, I start having more trouble.

Currently I am trying to learn a song which is far above my skill level from the Castlevania video game called "Bloody Tears". I have to constantly stop and try and figure out the notes I am supposed to be playing. Currently I am using a program on this site below to help me with this along with a reference sheet.

http://www.sightreadingpractice.com/cgi-...=s&split=2

I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to get better at reading notes off of piano sheets? Perhaps this is the best way but I figured I would check and see if there was something/a technique I didn't know about.
RE: A good way to learn to read piano music?
Ah, that is a good tune.

I learn songs on the piano in the same way I learn them on guitar. I figure it all out myself and just remember it. I have never been down with having to constantly look at sheet music.
I can read it, but I find it better for becoming better to figure everything out by ear.
Cunt
(November 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm)Voltair Wrote: I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to get better at reading notes off of piano sheets? Perhaps this is the best way but I figured I would check and see if there was something/a technique I didn't know about.

Like learning any language, there will come an epiphany, a moment of 'Ah Ha'.

There are different levels of artistic/musical abilities in each individual. I, for instance, can read music, but I cannot 'make' music. This will also have some basis in achieving 'Ah Ha'.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I would love to play by ear but I honestly would have no idea how to start. I know I could just listen to a song and try to bang it out on a keyboard but the idea of accurately emulating the song seems daunting to me.

Granted I haven't tried it and with enough practice perhaps I would get there.
Well, with me, it is just something I can do... Having perfect pitch helps that though.
Cunt
You might start by putting little stickers of the notes on the keys of the piano to help. I know some people who did that. I honestly can't remember what the hell my teacher did to help me, as I started lessons about 16 years ago, but I do know that with practice you won't even pay attention anymore. It becomes like typing on a keyboard, when you've been taught properly. You just know where to put your fingers, eventually.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Well I suppose I will just keep trying what I am currently doing then. I will have piano 4 next semester though so I am sure that will help if I can't still play it. Of course this Christmas break I probably will have a lot of time so Tongue
Learning to browse piano composition will feel slightly discouraging initially. With clear directions you'll step by step be ready to decrypt the music symbols. you'll be off and away, enjoying your favorite piano items in no time in the slightest degree.

The entire notation system was devised over one,000 years past by Guiddo of Arezzo, Associate in Nursing Italian Monk. it's hardly modified in its one,000 year usage. Let ME show you ten straightforward ways that to browse piano composition.
I agree with Frankie that the easiest way is to ignore the bloody sheet music and play by ear.

But if that isn't an option, counting is the way to go. Once you get used to looking at the base notes, it gets easier. The note that is C1 in g-clef is G in f-clef and so forth.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I'd suggest using a pencil and simply writing the note on the music (write a small "E" or whatever it is under/over/next to the note). I find that when I read music, I don't relate the notes to their "names," I relate it to their location on the keyboard. I have to really pause and count to tell what the actual note is. Undecided

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 612 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Christian music you actually like? JairCrawford 31 2708 June 17, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New Ahem Music Istvan 1 405 March 20, 2022 at 3:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New music, Old music Ahriman 79 6307 November 5, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Listening to music popeyespappy 35 3455 September 27, 2021 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Music Composition FlatAssembler 1 250 May 22, 2020 at 3:08 pm
  Carrie fans and country music. Brian37 13 1149 May 16, 2020 at 8:54 pm
  One Way To Avoid War.. Brian37 33 1746 March 9, 2020 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  My new favorite song of all time excluding classical music Alex K 1 590 January 26, 2020 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Never a flash in the pan. MUSIC. Brian37 19 1606 December 7, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: no one