Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The bible; a history.
The bible; a history.
From the "Lost World" series.

A seven part series of very mixed quality. Last week they had that appalling Anne Whitecombe person.

However,last night they had some very learned reform rabbis and my favourite historian,Marina Warner,who has written extensively about historical females. EG Joan D'arc and the cult of the virgin Mary.

The programme was about women in the bible,from Eve,Deborah,and Bathsheba etc etc to Mary mother of Jesus and Mary Magdalene etc etc. I was impressed that they referred to the story of Lilith as the first woman.(she became the red headed demon Ashoroth)

The programme also pointed out that popular views of biblical women are rarely supported by scripture.

Highly recommended (I'd skip the episode with Anne thingy)

PS: there WAS an interesting snippet where Stephen Fry ripped into Anne Witless.

RE: The bible;a history.
I watched the first couple of episodes and stopped, mainly because I thought was not terribly good. Then again I am these days, I am among the most skeptical and minimalist comes to the bible.
undefined
RE: The bible; a history.
The Bible as history. Now theres a joke!
(November 29, 2011 at 7:52 am)Happy UnBeliever Wrote: The Bible as history. Now theres a joke!

The bible does have a history, however it is not history.
undefined
(November 29, 2011 at 7:57 am)Justtristo Wrote:
(November 29, 2011 at 7:52 am)Happy UnBeliever Wrote: The Bible as history. Now theres a joke!

The bible does have a history, however it is not history.

Well if you put it that way yeah.

(November 29, 2011 at 7:52 am)Happy UnBeliever Wrote: The Bible as history. Now there's a joke!

No,it's "The Bible A history" IE a history OF the Bible.The series presents different perspectives,from the closed minded absurdity of Anne Whitecome, to real scholars and humanists such as Marina Warner.

Actually parts of the Old Testament are indeed history and as reliable as most sources of the time (about 600-700 bce) That is to say not very reliable at all.

It is worth noting that the discipline we call 'history' simply did not exist before the seventeenth century.Ancient 'historians' were in no way meant to objective recorders in the same way modern historians are meant to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:Marina Sarah Warner, CBE, FBA (born 9 November 1946 in London, England) is a British novelist, short story writer, historian and mythographer. She is known for her many non-fiction books relating to feminism and myth. She is currently Professor in the Department of Literature, Film and Theatre Studies at the University of Essex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Warner
Quote:It is worth noting that the discipline we call 'history' simply did not exist before the seventeenth century.Ancient 'historians' were in no way meant to objective recorders in the same way modern historians are meant to be.

Indeed. It is generally accepted that ancient "histories" tell us more about the time of the authors than they do about the time they were supposed to be writing about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best song in the history of mankind WinterHold 25 1579 August 28, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  The History of Dragons Mechaghostman2 5 588 March 13, 2018 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Video Alternative World History trustyoursources 8 1369 March 17, 2017 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  So, is anyone familiar with the "Solving History with Olly Steed" series?s abaris 0 1061 September 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: abaris
  History Channel's "The Bible" - In Under 10 Minutes pocaracas 13 3971 April 22, 2013 at 5:24 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  The History Channel Has Gone To Shit Minimalist 17 6449 August 1, 2012 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Awesome Stop Motion "History of the World" Tiberius 2 1741 December 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  Complete History Of The Soviet Union, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris The Grand Nudger 0 983 September 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  History Channel: The Universe g-mark 26 11630 May 12, 2009 at 9:43 am
Last Post: g-mark
  OIdest surviving song in history! Edwardo Piet 0 1785 October 13, 2008 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet