Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the police
the police
Let's hope that the police don't get off the Tomlinson death and their part in it ( at the G20 demonstrations ) like they did in the case of the slaughter of John Charles De Himineses.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: the police
Well, this time we have actual video footage of the assault. That will help with the investigation, as last time there were only eyewitnesses.

Oh, and there are even more cases of abuse: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8005966.stm
The police officer is in trouble.

However, why do people protest against a system that we use and want.

Are not the people and their wants the problem?

Do most of us not want more money, wealth, material objects?
(April 19, 2009 at 12:17 am)g-mark Wrote: However, why do people protest against a system that we use and want.
They weren't (from wiki):
Quote:The summit became the focus of protests from a number of disparate groups over various long standing and topical issues. These ranged from disquiet over economic policy, anger at the banking system and bankers renumeration and bonuses, the continued war on terror and concerns over climate change.
The protests aren't the issue. Freedom of speech and expression in a democracy guarantee us the right to protest whatever we want. What was the issue was the attacks by police.
The police attacks were wrong, but can protesters attcks on police be justified?

I understand you consider yourself a militant, hence your objections.

But, without authority of some description, what do we have? It is called anarchy. It is ok to think this idea is ok, but in reality anarchy would be survival of the strongest. Man eat Man. There are some extremely bad people out there, that would not hesitate in killing people for the fun of it. Would you survive?

This maybe branching from the topic, but, what system would you use in place of the current system?

It is ok to say what you don't want,

but what do you wan't?

What system would you use?
(April 19, 2009 at 1:23 am)g-mark Wrote: The police attacks were wrong, but can protesters attcks on police be justified?
No, I never said anything like that. A "protest" is a gathering of people against an idea. I only support peaceful protests, of which the majority were at the G20. The person killed was not even part of the protest; he was heading home from work.
Quote:What system would you use?
Not really anything to do with the whole thread, but I'm a libertarian. I'd like to see the government reduced to as small as possible, and a constitution written that contains the 3 core rights of life, liberty, and property.
(April 19, 2009 at 1:23 am)g-mark Wrote: The police attacks were wrong, but can protesters attcks on police be justified?

But, without authority of some description, what do we have? It is called anarchy. It is ok to think this idea is ok, but in reality anarchy would be survival of the strongest. Man eat Man. There are some extremely bad people out there, that would not hesitate in killing people for the fun of it. Would you survive?

This maybe branching from the topic, but, what system would you use in place of the current system?

So, from your position on " the centre " , which side do you support...the police or the protestors?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Quote:But, without authority of some description, what do we have? It is called anarchy. It is ok to think this idea is ok, but in reality anarchy would be survival of the strongest. Man eat Man. There are some extremely bad people out there, that would not hesitate in killing people for the fun of it. Would you survive?

I think you're probably right when referring to the deconstruction of a large and sophisticated state. A good example is the disintegration of imperial China ,from say the early C19th.

However,there have always been and still are,successful anarchic societies.In fact the oldest,and most successful society on earth (Australian aborigine) is anarchic.Other examples include most indigenous North American societies as well as a large number of African societies.
(April 19, 2009 at 11:39 am)bozo Wrote:

So, from your position on " the centre " , which side do you support...the police or the protestors?

I do not support either. I can see both points of view. Do I need to pick a side?

padriac Wrote:]However,there have always been and still are,successful anarchic societies.In fact the oldest,and most successful society on earth (Australian aborigine) is anarchic.Other examples include most indigenous North American societies as well as a large number of African societies.

These societies no longer exist in their natural form. They have been de-constructed by the white invader. The Australian Aboriginals understand their natural environment and live in harmony with it. They also have their own laws and ways wof conducte. Interesting you say anarchic, can you elaborte please.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEVER speak to the police!!! Jehanne 0 472 September 19, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Question for the PC police about racism... IanHulett 17 2729 January 6, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Man with Downs Syndrome Dies Due to Police Actions festive1 14 3752 July 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  MAn calls police to complain about "ugly" prostitute. downbeatplumb 4 1231 June 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Police Self Defense Street Fighting Tactics A Theist 2 1132 December 13, 2012 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  NY POLICE CHIEF: COPS SHOT ALL 9 BYSTANDER VICTIMS 5thHorseman 6 2429 August 25, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The media won't say this, and neither apparently will the police, so I will. Tiberius 51 17855 January 12, 2012 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Cyberman