Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Rock Paintings on the Nile
Ancient Rock Paintings on the Nile
We actually had a discussion on this at Archaeologica a while back. It seemed odd that the cave paintings in Western Europe were seemingly without precedent in North Africa. These are not precedents, though...they are ancestors!

http://www.archaeologydaily.com/news/201...umans.html

Quote:A Canadian archeologist is being credited nearly 50 years after the fact with discovering a prehistoric petroglyph site in southern Egypt that is now being described as a "Lascaux on the Nile" because of its similarity in age and style to France's world famous, cave-wall gallery of Stone Age cattle, deer and horses.
Prehistoric petroglyph site in southern Egypt discovered by Canadian archeologist Philip Smith in a 1962-63 expedition.
The inscribed Egyptian images of extinct wild oxen, hippopotami, fish, gazelle and other animals - now firmly dated to a time in the late Pleistocene era at least 15,000 years ago - are being hailed as the oldest rock art in North Africa and as a pivotal discovery in the evolution of artistic behaviour by ancient humans.

15,000 year old images in Africa v 25-35,000 years at Altamira. Maybe the Neanderthals gave HSS the artistic gene and took it back to Africa to renovate the "motherland?"
RE: Ancient Rock Paintings on the Nile
(December 1, 2011 at 11:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote: 15,000 year old images in Africa v 25-35,000 years at Altamira. Maybe the Neanderthals gave HSS the artistic gene and took it back to Africa to renovate the "motherland?"

There is rock art in Australia that has been estimated to be up to 40,000 years old.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-05-31/me...old/847564
undefined
(December 2, 2011 at 6:02 am)Justtristo Wrote:
(December 1, 2011 at 11:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote: 15,000 year old images in Africa v 25-35,000 years at Altamira. Maybe the Neanderthals gave HSS the artistic gene and took it back to Africa to renovate the "motherland?"

There is rock art in Australia that has been estimated to be up to 40,000 years old.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-05-31/me...old/847564

Obviously, Satan put that there to mislead us.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
The photo provided of the Nile art

[Image: image7575_b.jpg]

is a lot closer to what we see in Lascaux cave

[Image: Lascaux-wc-pd.jpg]

than Australian petroglyphs

[Image: petroglyphs.gif]

It was the stylistic connection which caught my eye.

However, if you look closely at the Australian glyph above you'll see a depiction of a man shooting an arrow at a deer ( or something ). We don't get that in the European cave art. Although many scholars have held that there was some sort of "hunting magic" at work in the French/Spanish caves what we see are depictions of the animals - not the hunters.

Curious.

Does the Australian glyph depict a man shooting an arrow from horseback? Is that a wheel? Are there native horses in Australia??? I don't think that's an Australian glyph dating to 40,000 years ago. Perhaps an American Indian glyph from 18-19th century?

Vague stylist similarity is to be expected if both sides makes some attempts at realism, uses more or less the same tools, and see broadly similar animals.
It came up in a search for "Australian petroglyphs" but I agree that it isn't 40,000 years old.

Again, I was going more for the stylistic similarities between the European and Egyptian art.
[Image: cave-art-hunters1-300x255.jpg]
(just noticed that the hunters seem to be targeting everything but the tiny fawn. Game management ftw)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to move a large rock with 3 bits of rope ! lifesagift 14 2197 November 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tibetans inherited high-altitude gene from ancient human MountainsWinAgain 1 879 July 4, 2014 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Ancient Aliens Debunked Minimalist 17 11626 October 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Ancient Greece as almost there. (Antikythera mechanism) Gooders1002 7 4188 June 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris