Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to move a large rock with 3 bits of rope !
How to move a large rock with 3 bits of rope !
This is incredible, not so much for the result, but more for coming up with the application... brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNuh-J5IgE
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
RE: How to move a large rock with 3 bits of rope !
(November 20, 2014 at 5:48 pm)lifesagift Wrote: This is incredible, not so much for the result, but more for coming up with the application... brilliant.

It is also consistent with island folklore which that the statues walked from the quarry to their final places.
I guess the trick is to not pull too hard and cause the moai to fall over.
And to have a perfectly level surface with no soft spots, streams, rocks, trees, inclines or declines.

Possible, I suppose.
This reminded me of this guy...
[youtube]uYQBDhkBfr0[/youtube]

I want to attempt something like the mini stone hedge for the fire pit I plan to start building this spring. In reality that plan will probably fall to the way side like my ambitions to learn flint knapping ha!
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
It chaps my nads when the woo types try to come up with insanely esoteric explanations for ancient structures. Our ancestors weren't dummies - they understood principles of leverage, weight, friction, lifting, inclined planes and so on.

The nutters in this arena that hack me off the worst are the pyramidiots. They can't be bothered to learn a bit of basic engineering, so they jump right to the moronically ill-informed conclusion that aliens, with their abilities to traverse light years in jig time, came all the way to earth to build the simplest of all possible structures out of local materials. They might have a better case if the pyramids were built pointy end downwards and made out of Vegan hyper-crystal.

Eedjits.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Or they just outright lie about very specific details that are not only well known to us, but are still very testable, like the resources and tools available at the time, and the type of rock used!?! "This degree of precision was unachievable!"..."This rock is too hard to cut or chisel!" Even if a quick google search wouldn't do the trick, we can still go up to the structure that still exists and find out its type and hardness. Why make such an easily debunked lie?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
It probably went more like...

"Hey, minion. If you move those three stones I'll give you this magic rope... [sotto voce] (He,he, he, sukka)"

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
If you're interested in those statues, (or easter island) and haven't read Jared Diamonds "Collapse", do yourself a favor and pick it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Societies...0143117009

Those wonderful statues may have ultimately been a major contributing factor in the demise of a thriving civilization (and a thriving island ecosystem).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 22, 2014 at 8:13 am)Rhythm Wrote: If you're interested in those statues, (or easter island) and haven't read Jared Diamonds "Collapse", do yourself a favor and pick it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Societies...0143117009

Those wonderful statues may have ultimately been a major contributing factor in the demise of a thriving civilization (and a thriving island ecosystem).

Indeed, I have often seen it used to highlight the unforeseen impact people can have on the environment.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Australia a Small Continent or a large Island? Rhondazvous 35 4410 November 9, 2018 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Ancient Rock Paintings on the Nile Minimalist 6 5414 December 2, 2011 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Large woody debris and sonic waves orogenicman 4 1915 May 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: orogenicman