Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Atheist
First Atheist
Who do you think was the first atheist?

Diagoros of Melos is the first recorded I can find who seems definitely to have been an atheist in the 5th century BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagoras_of_Melos
RE: First Atheist
The first guy who prayed to his deity with all his heart for the successful hunt that would save his family and was denied until their deaths. Or perhaps anyone who lived before the concept of "god" seems to have been realized. Or maybe the first Indian in the school of Cavarka (which does have the first atheist recorded as declaring so).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The moment religion started, atheism started right next to it and has rode along side it all these thousands of years.
(December 6, 2011 at 10:50 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote: The moment religion started, atheism started right next to it and has rode along side it all these thousands of years.

I have to agree with Rev. The moment some con man started telling people that "god" gave him a message to share with the world you just have to know that there was at least one other guy who said "FUCK YOU."
The constructs humans come up with have many different masks but always the same golem beneath it...and there's always one person who knows it for what it is.

They've been running so long sometimes I worry the rest of us won't be able to wipe the letters away, ever.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Well, for my two cats I'm sure I'm a god, I mean, I feed them, I pet them, I clean their shit, what else could you get from a god? And we humans that have a mind capable of conceiving gods, think the same, that there is something out there taking care of us. Yet, instead of taking care of us alot of us spend lives seeking superstition.

No matter how much bulshit you pile up, it will always amount to nothing.
I would say, the first atheist was at the beginning of time. I would consider inanimate objects, plants and animals to all be atheist.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
(December 6, 2011 at 12:32 pm)AthiestAtheist Wrote: I would say, the first atheist was at the beginning of time. I would consider inanimate objects, plants and animals to all be atheist.

If this is a godless universe...which it more than likely is, then you are absolutely correct.
(December 6, 2011 at 10:50 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote: The moment religion started, atheism started right next to it and has rode along side it all these thousands of years.

So you need theism for atheism to exist?

So in a totally non-theistic world, what you call all the non-god believers i.e. everybody if you were discussing iot from the outside.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

So you need theism for atheism to exist?
In the same sense that the moment you create a magnet with a north pole, you create a south pole as well. I can sort of understand that. You can say that there was always atheism, and you can say that it started as soon as someone came up with the idea of a god and someone else did not believe them.

"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World's first robot citizen an atheist? Mystical 63 19042 February 3, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: iameatingjam
  No first generation true atheist is possible! sun 33 13103 March 7, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: BlackUnicorn
  What came first, the atheist or the theist? Cecco 201 48623 August 12, 2010 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet