Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What were your first questions?
What were your first questions?
(For those to whom it applies) What were the first questions you had that led you to atheism?
RE: What were your first questions?
Why did this loving god order genocides, advocate slavery, child sacrifice, infanticide, rape? Why did it allow priests to molest children? Why is the Bible so poorly written? I had a lot of questions. I don’t have any anymore because i don’t see any evidence for any god(s).
I believe in life before death.
My first questions were in regard to the obvious contradictions I encountered while taking the challenge of actually reading the bible.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
As far as I recall it was directed to the doctor.

Why'd you hit me you fuck?
I reckon mine weren't questions but more of "hold on this doesn't make sense" over and over till I was like why do i believe if I can't even make sense out of it.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Why'd you expect me to feel guilty when I did/thought what my body gives me no choice to? That's messed up.
Mine were probably along the lines of "Seriously? You really believe that shit?" Religion's not much of a thing over here; certainly not when I was growing up.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hard to say, but one early one was "Do I really agree with everything said and done in this book?". Because if I don't find it acceptable, then why am I worshiping that god?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

@Cyberman
You're lucky. Rural America has it bad.
I was a college student in '75 and came out in my first months on campus. A religious group on campus, Campus Crusade for Christ made no bones about being against gay rights and anything else pro-gay and that launched me on my way to atheism. Took a long time actually. I was Methodist in '75 and later on put in a few years Unitarian/Universalist. AIDS era really put me off religion for keeps.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3184 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5255 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1569 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4102 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  True Christian (TM) Answers Your Questions YahwehIsTheWay 43 8809 April 11, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  If christianity were true [hypothetical] dyresand 27 3745 June 17, 2016 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate? Cecelia 53 6995 May 17, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 50502 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  If You Were A Theist Shuffle 15 3593 August 29, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: IATIA
  If I were an Atheist Drew_2013 549 71540 May 13, 2015 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Hatshepsut