Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally.
The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally.
Two verses in (g)Mark especially reveal the plot line of Jesus' last hours:

Mark 14:62-63:

Again the high priest questioned him,82 “Are you the Christ,83 the Son of the Blessed One?” 14:62 “I am,” said Jesus, “and you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand84 of the Power85 and coming with the clouds of heaven.”86 14:63 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “Why do we still need witnesses? 14:64 You have heard the blasphemy!

Mark 15:34

15:34 Around three o’clock55 Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

What did Jesus mean when he said, "And you will see". . ..?

The statement was Jesus' way of defending his claim to be the Messiah. I am interpreting the verb in the sense that the high priest will [soon]
see the inauguration of the Messianic Age as proof that he is the Messiah.

How that expectation failed is reflected Mark 15:34. Instead of an imminent arrival of the messianic age, Jesus wound up dead with a hope of the Messianic Kingdom dying with him, so according to Ur-Mark.

Needless to say, this interpretation of the last hours of Jesus will be not be widely accepted as it is distrubing to think that could have been so tragically wrong about his identity and mission.

RE: The historical Jesus--dead wrong, literally.
What's the point of agonizing over the correct interpretation of a particular word in a piece of an out and out lie that has been purposedly edited to suit multiple unmentionable purposes and been intentionally and unintentionally transcribed a hundred times?
Quote:I am interpreting the verb in the sense that the high priest will [soon] see the inauguration of the Messianic Age as proof that he is the Messiah.

Yeah, early xtians had a problem with that too when it didn't happen. A little fancy footwork was necessary to get their godboy off the hook.

Agreed. Barre, you might be better off trying to float this on some xtian forum. Around here the first step would have to be to demonstrate why we should take anything from the bible seriously, before disappearing down the rabbit hole chasing after some esoteric spiritual meaning of the story. Not all of us automatically buy into the veracity of holy books, especially when the text is known to be filled with inaccuracies. distortions and pure fantasy. Hardly a reliable source of information.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 7, 2011 at 1:28 am)Chuck Wrote: What's the point of agonizing over the correct interpretation of a particular word in a piece of an out and out lie that has been purposedly edited to suit multiple unmentionable purposes and been intentionally and unintentionally transcribed a hundred times?

There is no agonizing, only an attempt to interpret a biblical text.

You seem unwilling for some reason to study something that you regard as a lie.
(December 7, 2011 at 1:47 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I am interpreting the verb in the sense that the high priest will [soon] see the inauguration of the Messianic Age as proof that he is the Messiah.

Yeah, early xtians had a problem with that too when it didn't happen. A little fancy footwork was necessary to get their godboy off the hook.

Yes, I agree with you that early Christianity exhibits "Bad Faith." Do you think I have correctly interpreted, "you shall [soon] see."
Using the gMark to prove jesus ....its the worst thing you could have done...that and using the bible to prove itself another fallacy often attempted and failed by jesus followers..
(December 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm)Barre Wrote:
(December 7, 2011 at 1:28 am)Chuck Wrote: What's the point of agonizing over the correct interpretation of a particular word in a piece of an out and out lie that has been purposedly edited to suit multiple unmentionable purposes and been intentionally and unintentionally transcribed a hundred times?

There is no agonizing, only an attempt to interpret a biblical text.

You seem unwilling for some reason to study something that you regard as a lie.

Will you have this much enthusiasm when presented with a native american religion, or how about the Norse?

Are you this passionate about Thor as you are with Jesus?
Whereas you (Barre) seem only too willing to study something that you appear to regard as true - and that's the part you have to establish first before you go running off into the sunset.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 7, 2011 at 1:47 am)Minimalist Wrote:

Yes, early xtians had a problem with that too when it didn't happen. A little fancy footwork was necessary to get their godboy off the hook.

Yes, I agree with you that early Christianity exhibits "Bad Faith." Do you think I have correctly interpreted, "you shall [soon] see."
Well....as Bart Ehrman has pointed out this shit has been edited/altered either intentionally/accidentally or both and we do not possess original documents so all we can do is debate what the copies say and hope that the various generations of scribes who copied this stuff were honest or competent.

I know there are plenty of people over at Freethought and Rationalism who get themselves all worked up over a given word but if you have no confidence in the source what's the point?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I literally cannot avoid sinning; so, why... zwanzig 70 3539 July 23, 2023 at 7:43 am
Last Post: no one
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9013 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1809 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2659 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theism is literally childish I_am_not_mafia 391 56372 November 16, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 23330 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 105893 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7424 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Exclamation Jesus is Dead Cinjin 73 14793 February 12, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7176 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist