Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Poker
Atheist Poker
The other thread on this has become too long and was really just to see who played / was interested in the game. This thread is about actually holding a weekly poker game for us atheists.

I think the Zynga platform is probably the best, because it is a flash app, free, you get given chips on a daily basis, and you can create private tables for free. You can get the app through facebook or MySpace, and if you have neither, I suggest you sign up for an account. If you are opposed to such sites, then I suggest you simply sign up and don't friend people. All other poker websites involve either paying, downloading an application, or they don't have the ability to create private tables. The Zynga interface is perfect for what we want: http://apps.facebook.com/texas_holdem

As for timing, I suggest we play on a Saturday at around 22:00 UTC. This means people from the USA and from Europe can play. Most people are up in the evenings over in Europe, and it being a Saturday means we can stay up late anyway. People in the USA will have to calculate what time it is for them, but it should range from early to late afternoon, depending on where you are.

This website is useful for calculating your time in relation to UTC: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Anyway, at 22:00 UTC, come to the forums and we will set up a private table and communicate in the shoutbox. A private table at Zynga simply involves typing a name for the table (we will use "Atheist Poker") and a password. Once the table has been set up, the creator will message everyone via the shoutbox, telling everyone the password for the game.

Any questions, changes, objections, etc?
RE: Atheist Poker
Sounds cool - I've just gotta remember that lol, better write it down..

Am I correct that UTC is GMT-1..?
UTC is sometimes GMT-1 and sometimes GMT. It depends on the Daylight Savings Time which GMT adheres to but UTC doesn't.
It'll be 8am where I am on a weekend, so I doubt I'll even be awake!
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
I thuoght it was going to be like "Indian Poker," except you disbelieve other people's BS. Kind of like "unintentional bluffing." Sounds like religion, doesn't it?
Hey, this sounds good to me. How many people are interested?
"We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation, we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values."

-President Barack Obama
GREAT idea.
Hopefully I will remember lol. I love poker almost as much as I love cereal Smile
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
(April 21, 2009 at 11:02 pm)athoughtfulman Wrote: It'll be 8am where I am on a weekend, so I doubt I'll even be awake!
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but when you have the majority of people from the UK and the US we need to suit them more. However, we will probably play for a few hours so maybe you can join later.
Yeah, I understand Big Grin If I'm up early enough and remember I'll jump in.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
I can't on saturday evnings. It's football on TV!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poker UniversesBoss 5 488 November 26, 2022 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Poker Giff 22 4732 April 21, 2009 at 6:57 am
Last Post: athoughtfulman