Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put on a happy face, atheist vs atheist vs theist.
Put on a happy face, atheist vs atheist vs theist.
OP/ED

I really hate the idea that atheists have to put on a happy face and not say boo in order to "join forces" with theists. I see these types all the time blaspheme religion themselves then advocate for the same censorship This isn't anything more than "It is right the way I do it".

I think some people on the left both atheist and theist, who are well intended, without understanding, that "happy face" tactic isn't helpful the way they intend.

If we rightfully want the east to grow a thick skin and not arrest people or murder people for merely being offended, then how is being polite 100%
of the time going to promote that? If anyone thinks getting offended is worse than being murdered they have their priorities out of whack.

The "force" both atheists and theists have is secular common law. I find it absurd to assume everyone who believes has a glass jaw. Furthermore we do not help oppressed people in the east who don't like their oppression like women, minority Muslims, Christians and gays and atheists who ARE REALLY OPPRESSED, by putting on that happy face.

If we want Muslims to leave it at words when they get offended, then we do no service to anyone oppressed by insisting on political correctness here.

I can have empathy for people who make claims that drive me nuts. Our freedoms are not in danger by being blunt, and most certainly if we value free speech then none of us are free from being offended.

The other aspect that is so wrong about censorship and "Happy face" thinking does, is that if we never as atheists publicly disagree that does not allow theists to see us as individuals. If we don't want theists to see us as monolithic Stalin lovers, then our public bitching between us allows them to see that too.

I WILL join sides with anyone who values free speech. I can protect theists without protecting their ideas. Human rights are a given for both the atheist and theist, but that is still a different subject than the idea itself. Humans have rights, ideas should never get blind value.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recipe: Not Sure Where to Put This ABQ505 2 291 December 10, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: ABQ505
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2153 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do you people with long hair put it up? Foxaèr 32 6188 April 21, 2018 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is being a theist immoral in your opinion? Catholic_Lady 53 5205 January 8, 2018 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED Brian37 19 2272 April 21, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  sharing a room/flat with a theist mcolafson 5 579 September 1, 2016 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Girls: Beard or Baby face? ErGingerbreadMandude 90 9596 May 5, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I Was Going To Put This In Fucking Cops but It Deserves Its Own Thread Minimalist 3 1472 August 14, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Random thought about Sam Harris's face. paulpablo 16 4668 April 13, 2015 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Exian
  "You wouldn't say that to my face" OP/ED Brian37 16 4839 April 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4