Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Christian intro
My Christian intro
This was the work I had for the debate in which I was supposed to argue Christianity, and Lucid agreed to defend atheism. Lucid was allowed to set all of the parameters, he even chose what I would be arguing and went so far as to say if I didnt give it my all then he would drop out. One day before the debate he sent a PM saying he could not do the debate, but would do the debate if we switched back to our true positions.

I conclude that if Lucid is incapable of defending the atheist position then lucid has no idea what real atheism is about.

Opening

Hello everyone, I am writing this today in the open minded fairness of debate, which I tend to love so much. As many of you know, I am an atheist, but for this post I will be defending an opposite position in defense of Non-denominational, Trinitarian, Bible literalist young Earth creationism...a sort of "devil's advocate". Or, in this sense, an "Angel's advocate". I hope that I do the position justice.

All throughout the history of the world the question has been asked: "Does God exist?". People have, during the past and present, made wild theories and conjectures concerning God and His intentions for His Creations. Many have invented false religions, false histories, and false dogmas concerning the one and true God. Some have even gone so far as to deny that God even exists. They have gone by many names throughout history; Epicureans, Skeptics, so-called "Rationalists", and now they go by the title of "atheist".

A so-called "atheist" is one who believes that there is no deity [6]. Belief that there is no God has grown in popularity in modern times. This trend is shocking considering the vast amounts of people who have experienced God first hand through faith and prayer. Atheism will be shown to fly in the face of scientific evidence, historical documents, and sound scripture once I am done with my debate.

I will be showing those who read this debate that God can be known not only scientifically and logically, but also personally. That it does not take anything special to know this god personally, merely an open heart and open mind. The evidence I will be presenting tonight will make it easy to open your mind to the true existence of God, but only you can open your heart to Him through freewill.

Christianity is the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture. All of these evidences I will be presenting tonight will show that Christianity is not only historically accurate, but scientifically and spiritually accurate. Christianity will be shown to hold all of lifes truths, and that the Bible itself can be used as a guide and answer to lifes struggles and questions. Christianity has been a great inspiration and guiding light to many millions of people on this planet world wide, but do not let that fact alone sway your judgement. Let Christianity stand on its arguments alone, its historical record, and its scientific evidence.

I am going to prove tonight that not only does a god exist, but that God is exactly the same God literally mentioned in the King James bible. That God is actually a trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. And that we as humans can know God personally through his word in the bible and by interacting with him through prayer.

The evidences that will be produced during this debate will be as follows:

- The argument of design = This means that if you find a watch lying in the sand, then there must be a watch maker. This evidence will show that the sand did not spontaneously create such a fine tuned and complicated design such as these.[1]

- The argument of causality = This means that all things require a cause in this physical reality. This evidence will show that the universe then requires an "uncaused cause" that is transcendent of this physical reality.[1]

- The moral argument = Morals exist, therefore there must be a source of morality. An "ultimate law giver" so to speak. [1]

- Eye witness evidence = The Bible is an actual eye witness account not only of the rise of the Hebrews, but of the life and times of Jesus. The evidence will show that Jesus himself was eye witnessed healing the sick, raising the dead, and even ascending to heaven. This historical document is accepted by a majority of people world wide and is considered the most popular book ever.[2]

- World Wide flood = Evidence will be brought forth, not only from the historic record of the Old testament in the Bible, but of actual geological proof that the surface of the Earth was once covered by water. [3]

- God exists in the form of a Triune deity = Evidence will be brought forth from the proof that the Bible is a reliable, historical document. Once the bible is shown to be 100% accurate from a historical standpoint, it will lend credence that it is also metaphysically accurate. Evidence will also produce eyewitness accounts that God is a Triune God. [4]

- Jesus really did exist = The evidence will be brought forth from the wittings of Josephus and Tacitus that Jesus did exist in the flesh. [5]

- Fulfilled Prophecy = Evidence will be brought forth that not only does prophecy really exist, but that biblical prophecy is accurate and dependable. [7]

I promise all of you that I will try to be as brief, simple, and to the point as possible. This evidence will be conclusive, making it easy for those who read these evidences to chose Christianity over Atheism, or at least help you ponder the accuracy of your atheistic view point. Again, I must reinforce that this evidence will show that atheism is not defendable and will help you conclude that the bible is not only an actual historic record, but that a God very much does exist and wishes to have a personal relationship with you.

Thankyou
===
References:
[1]http://www.faithclipart.com/guide/christian-apologetics/christian-arguments-against-atheism.html
[2]http://www.bible.com/
[3]http://www.earthage.org/EarthOldorYoung/scientific_evidence_for_a_worldwide_flood.htm
[4]http://www.roffers.com/home/scott/misc/trinity.html
[5]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus
[6]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheist
[7]http://100prophecies.org/bible-prophecies.htm
RE: My Christian intro
This is exactly why I said I wouldn't be able to do this. I would descend into parody in no time.
Yuck, how didnt you sick up the bottom barrells of your stomach when writing that garbage.

Kudos for the effort RevJ
I was thinking the same thing, 5th! Omg, it must've given him a fuck awful headache!

My Christian intro
Nice Rev, but did you remember to wash your hands when you were done?
-This historical document is accepted by a majority of people world wide and is considered the most popular book ever.[2]
argument ad populum , but you knew that.

-And I'd love to pick apart your morality argument Big Grin

Great effort. I think seeing as you're taking a position opposite, you're forcing your selective bias to another view. While an interesting mental excercise, I don't think it seems genuine enough for a spirited debate when you intentionally only see the good because you're forcing yourself to (specifically "Christianity has been a great inspiration and guiding light to many millions of people on this planet world wide, but do not let that fact alone sway your judgement")
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
It would be pretty hard to genuinely argue for the good in something as evil as Christianity. That's why people who try so often get roundly destroyed by their opponents.
At least you exposed Lucy as a tit-turd.
(December 12, 2011 at 8:11 am)tackattack Wrote: -This historical document is accepted by a majority of people world wide and is considered the most popular book ever.[2]
argument ad populum , but you knew that.

-And I'd love to pick apart your morality argument Big Grin

Great effort. I think seeing as you're taking a position opposite, you're forcing your selective bias to another view. While an interesting mental excercise, I don't think it seems genuine enough for a spirited debate when you intentionally only see the good because you're forcing yourself to (specifically "Christianity has been a great inspiration and guiding light to many millions of people on this planet world wide, but do not let that fact alone sway your judgement")

I pretty much figured I would wind up forcing myself on some things, especially the morality department.

As far as argument ad populum, I agree, and I would have not defended it if pressed. The funny thing is, even though i know it is a bad argument, and that just because many people find it to be popular and true doesnt make it so.

Yet, I will admit that arguments from popularity are powerful, regardless of wether they are correct or not, the people enforce it. Sure, this slips down to the slope of argument from authority, but I cannot deny that this religion is being enforced through popularity, therefore making it (in a sense) a significant argument for Christianity. Not a logical one. Merely a significant one.

I was also reminded during writting this opening how hard it is to defend a supernatural belief through natural arguments. how can you argue one specific god and make those arguments seem that they only adhere to that specific god and not any other?

"God is mysterious" can just as easily be used for Thor, Apollo, and all of the rest of the deities in human history. This made it quite difficult for me to only focus on one deity with all of these arguments, as damn well all of them, except arguments of popularity, can work on every single dead religion of humanity's past. I felt that adding such a popularity argument would help it seem more realistic.
I don't know how you managed to keep it together for such a long opening statement, I mean I could barely tolerate reading it; I find the capitalisation of male pronouns to be especially repulsive.
[Image: afsig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89328 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7437 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6343 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej