Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 10 Commandments
My 10 Commandments
It is often claimed by theists (even quite moderate ones) that the 10 commandments are a fairly good moral guide ... I disagree but that's not the subject of this post. I was looking through my old stuff (very complicated, contrary to popular opinion most of my archived stuff is a complete mess, merely a record of what I posted over the last 10 years or so) and I saw an old post of my version of the 10 commandments so I thought it would be fun (semi-serious fun) to repost them and see what everyone would post as theirs.

Quote:
  1. You shall worship no gods false or otherwise unless you can actually supply validatable evidence that, reasonably interpreted, indicates fairly clearly that the that such a deity exists, is real or holds any sway over the observable universe as we know it!
  2. You shall make no graven images of such gods unless you are playing in some kind of dungeons and dragons style game or are a fan of one of those massively multiplayer online role-playing games things. Obviously, it stands to reason that if you can't prove any such gods exists you shouldn't make any graven images of it because you're gonna look pretty damned stupid if you do!
  3. You may freely use any words or a religious nature for cursing, swearing or whatever for where would our ability to swear be without religion?
  4. Remember that the Sabbath day is just a day like any other but that it is great fun to be a day that you can relax on a let others do the work for you if you are clever enough to get away with it. Remember to demand double (preferably triple) time if your employer wants you to work on it for it is a day to be held as special as others especially when it involves bacon & eggs for breakfast.
  5. Always honour your father and your mother unless they are abusive and treat you like shit in which case pretty much anything goes!
  6. Do not kill except in the name of self-defence, national defence and any other reason that can be logically argued or presumed to be in your or your local group's best interests. Always bear in mind those who say, "do not kill under any circumstances", that they are called pacifists and don't fight at all when you march into their country and trample them underfoot, if you've just lost a war these are good for a bit of light relief!
  7. Do not commit adultery for the consequences are awful to behold, not only divorce but financial ruin. On the serious side fight for your marriage and if you have children bear in mind that those few hours of carnal pleasure (fun though they may be) and the consequent divorce and hostility will "screw" them up for life!
  8. Do not steal ... if you do you'll be put away for a long time but more importantly not be able to claim morally that you have any right to possession of your own stuff!
  9. Do not lie and don't come crying to us when you find that people think you’re garbage if you do!
  10. Face it, we are an aggressive species and it is often "keeping up with the Joneses" that drives us to get what we want to have ... so not to covet (want or desire) what another has is plainly ridiculous! All you have to do is make sure that you don't want something so much you're prepared to break other commandments to get it!

Note, I didn't have to change them much apart from flashing up the wording a bit.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: My 10 Commandments
Hehe, love them, heh. Nice, good job.

I also love George Carlin's breaking down of the 10 commandments and condensing them into 2 - it's bloody brilliant and funny too.

You seen it? It's from the last section of his HBO special Complaints and Grievances stand-up.

EvF
(April 22, 2009 at 10:08 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I also love George Carlin's breaking down of the 10 commandments and condensing them into 2 - it's bloody brilliant and funny too. You seen it? It's from the last section of his HBO special Complaints and Grievances stand-up

Yeah seen it ... the man was quite brilliant!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

(April 22, 2009 at 10:15 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(April 22, 2009 at 10:08 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I also love George Carlin's breaking down of the 10 commandments and condensing them into 2 - it's bloody brilliant and funny too. You seen it? It's from the last section of his HBO special Complaints and Grievances stand-up

Yeah seen it ... the man was quite brilliant!

Kyu

Woo hoo! A fellow George Carlin fan?

I actually only found out about him a month or two after his death! I found out via this forum, someone told me of him - I can't remember who now.

I watched his latest stand up and I watched all down to his 8th (7 stand ups from last (his 14th and final) to 8th).

Truly awesome. His early stand ups I've seen clips are and are very good - but I don't think they're quite as good because less controversal. I saw an interview with him on youtube and he said he didn't really truly find his voice until his stand up 'Jammin' in New York' which was in 1992.

So I've seen his hbos from the first in 1988 till the last in 2008 thus far...I hope to see more and have seen clips but a lot of the stuff in youtube is being taken down now...

I am totally and truly planning to buy all 14 of his stand ups and his books WHEN I have to money.

EvF
(April 22, 2009 at 10:19 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I am totally and truly planning to buy all 14 of his stand ups and his books WHEN I have to money.

Dunno about books but I certainly intend to buy some kind of DVD of him.

Have you seen "Animals" (Ricky Gervais)? His bit on the bible is hysterical.

I also love Eddie Izzard when he starts in on religion ...

Don't Call Me Jeezy Kweezy!

Kyu
Angry Atheism

I have seen "animals" yes -on TV 2 or 3 times and then on youtube i saw that clip again also.
I also saw politics.

Eddie Izzard is great, I also love when he starts on religion and his weird ways of making it all funny and piss-taking it or whatever (in his own way).

I may have seen the one with 'Jeezy Kweezy' although I'm not sure I remember it.

I've seen 3 of his seperate stand-ups once each and I forget the names of them. One is an HBO one and another he is in red (although I'm not entirely sure I saw that one but I have seen at least 3 stand-ups by him I think - certainly 2. And the HBO one, come to think of it I may have seen more than once.

LMFAO! I just realized that I sound like those people who talk about "stupid trivial shit" "Stuff you're not even REMOTELY interested in" that George Carlin talks of in his last stand-up - I mean with all the going over really trivial details "It was either 9 or 5 [years ago]", etc.

Side note: Damn, - what am I ON! To my knowledge, nothing!

EvF
Ok, here are mine.

1. 'I will not murder.'

2. 'I will not commit adultery.'

3. 'I will not steal.'

4. 'I will not judge'.

5. 'I will treat all beings of the Universe equally'.

6. 'I will follow the rules'.

7. 'I will be moral'.

8. 'I will accept the truth'.

9. 'I will learn'.

10. 'I will show respect'.

Could add a few more, maybe ten more.
Ok, Kyu your commandments are useless as a moral guideline. For instance, no 6 is far to lose. Logicaly, I could argue that it is in my own best intrests, and in my self defense, to wipe out the Rom people (Gypsies). This would be immoral, but would be in keeping with your commandments. I know this is just a fun thread, but I thought I would throw that in there.

G-mark, yours are odd. What is morality? What is truth? What will you not judge? What if all beings are not equal e.g. do you treat a worm with the same respect as a human? What if the 'rules' are immoral?
morality -
mo⋅ral⋅i⋅ty
   /məˈrælɪti, mɔ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [muh-ral-i-tee, maw-] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ties for 4–6.
1. conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct.
2. moral quality or character.
3. virtue in sexual matters; chastity.
4. a doctrine or system of morals.
5. moral instruction; a moral lesson, precept, discourse, or utterance.
6. morality play.
Origin:
1350–1400; ME moralite < LL mōrālitās. See moral, -ity

truth
   /truθ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [trooth] Show IPA ,
–noun, plural truths  /truðz, truθs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [troothz, trooths] Show IPA .
1. the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
4. the state or character of being true.
5. actuality or actual existence.
6. an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
7. honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
8. (often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
9. agreement with a standard or original.
10. accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
11. Archaic. fidelity or constancy.
—Idiom
12. in truth, in reality; in fact; actually: In truth, moral decay hastened the decline of the Roman Empire.
Origin:
bef. 900; ME treuthe, OE trēowth (c. ON tryggth faith). See true, -th 1

4. Other beings.

5. Well they are.

Follow points 1 - 5 and 6. will work ok.
(April 22, 2009 at 11:39 am)dagda Wrote: Ok, Kyu your commandments are useless as a moral guideline. For instance, no 6 is far to lose. Logicaly, I could argue that it is in my own best intrests, and in my self defense, to wipe out the Rom people (Gypsies). This would be immoral, but would be in keeping with your commandments. I know this is just a fun thread, but I thought I would throw that in there.

Well it's way more realistic that the useless one that in the bible Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Good Commandments god bother 21 2281 December 22, 2020 at 8:33 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  I love the 10 commandments Cepheus Ace 26 2775 February 10, 2020 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9472 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Write your own commandments BrokenQuill92 29 5812 July 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Humanist Ten Commandments Doubting Thomas 47 10117 November 8, 2013 at 4:13 am
Last Post: genkaus
Video Why the Ten Commandments are Bulls**t (video) theblankideas 2 1863 May 13, 2012 at 7:06 am
Last Post: theblankideas