Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love the 10 commandments
I love the 10 commandments
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=NIV

its so stupid the things these silly people believe

Hehe Hehe Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Exodus 34:10-28

10 Then the Lord said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the Lord, will do for you.
11 Obey what I command you today.

now for the commandments Read

14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. (1)
17 “Do not make any idols. (2)
18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt. (3)
19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons. (4)
21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.(5)
22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. (6)

23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. (7)
25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning. (8)
26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God. (9)
    “Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.” (10)

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

DING DING DING DING!!!!!! Wacky 

these are the LAWS humanity NEEDS to live by according to the supreme being.

POWER!!!!.. UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!
RE: I love the 10 commandments
25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, …. (8)

God, here I was bringing you some mead to wash it down!
Sheesh.... Here, have a caffeine free diet coke instead!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

There's a wonderful counter-tradition within Christianity itself, in which the Antinomian Christians say that it is the giving of the law, not the breaking of it, which causes the Fall of Man. The best-known exponent of this tradition is probably William Blake. This is from his early book, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell:

Quote:if Jesus Christ is the greatest man, you ought to love him in the greatest degree; now hear how he has given his sanction to the law of ten commandments: did he not mock at the sabbath, and so mock the sabbaths God? murder those who were murderd because of him? turn away the law from the woman taken in adultery? steal the labor of others to support him? bear false witness when he omitted making a defence before Pilate? covet when he pray'd for his disciples, and when he bid them shake off the dust of their feet against such as refused to lodge them? I tell you, no virtue can exist without breaking these ten commandments: Jesus was all virtue, and acted from Impulse: not from rules.

emphasis mine

------------------

Another long tradition says that the commandments Moses received on the mountaintop -- all 613 of them, not just the famous 10 -- are the exoteric law, meant for the rank and file.

Moses had to spend a full 40 days up there not because the written laws took so long (Jehovah presumably had a laser printer) but because he was learning by heart the esoteric law, which to this day is passed on only orally to the few who have demonstrated the quality necessary to understand it. This is the origin of the Kabbalah.

It's a fascinating esoteric set of teachings, not mainstream because it demands more subtle thinking than most people can manage.

The idea seems to be widespread in spiritual traditions. There are supposedly Platonic teachings for initiates that may not be written down, and of course there are several sects of esoteric Buddhism that require years to master.
(November 21, 2019 at 5:20 am)Belacqua Wrote: There's a wonderful counter-tradition within Christianity itself, in which the Antinomian Christians say that it is the giving of the law, not the breaking of it, which causes the Fall of Man. The best-known exponent of this tradition is probably William Blake. This is from his early book, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell:

Quote:if Jesus Christ is the greatest man, you ought to love him in the greatest degree; now hear how he has given his sanction to the law of ten commandments: did he not mock at the sabbath, and so mock the sabbaths God? murder those who were murderd because of him? turn away the law from the woman taken in adultery? steal the labor of others to support him? bear false witness when he omitted making a defence before Pilate? covet when he pray'd for his disciples, and when he bid them shake off the dust of their feet against such as refused to lodge them? I tell you, no virtue can exist without breaking these ten commandments: Jesus was all virtue, and acted from Impulse: not from rules.

emphasis mine

------------------

Another long tradition says that the commandments Moses received on the mountaintop -- all 613 of them, not just the famous 10 -- are the exoteric law, meant for the rank and file.

Moses had to spend a full 40 days up there not because the written laws took so long (Jehovah presumably had a laser printer) but because he was learning by heart the esoteric law, which to this day is passed on only orally to the few who have demonstrated the quality necessary to understand it. This is the origin of the Kabbalah.

It's a fascinating esoteric set of teachings, not mainstream because it demands more subtle thinking than most people can manage.

The idea seems to be widespread in spiritual traditions. There are supposedly Platonic teachings for initiates that may not be written down, and of course there are several sects of esoteric Buddhism that require years to master.

Not that unusual.  Plenty of religions have taken the stance that the plebes are not to be trusted with the Truth, so it's best that the priest class keep it all for themselves.

In some circles, this is known as 'Never let the mark know you've taken his money'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 21, 2019 at 7:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In some circles, this is known as 'Never let the mark know you've taken his money'.

Boru

Perhaps this is true among people you know. 

There are less cynical reasons for choosing one's students carefully, and not putting things down in writing that are bound to be misunderstood.

Quote:Socrates: Yes, because there’s something odd about writing,
Phaedrus, which makes it exactly like painting. The offspring
of painting stand there as if alive, but if you ask them
a question they maintain an aloof silence. It’s the same with
written words: you might think they were speaking as if they
had some intelligence, but if you want an explanation of any
of the things they’re saying and you ask them about it, they
just go on and on for ever giving the same single piece of
information. Once any account has been written down, you
e find it all over the place, hobnobbing with completely
inappropriate people no less than with those who understand
it, and completely failing to know who it should and
shouldn’t talk to. And faced with rudeness and unfair abuse
it always needs its father to come to its assistance, since it is
incapable of defending or helping itself.

Phaedrus: Again, you’re quite right.

Socrates: Well, is there any other way of using words? Does
the written word have a legitimate brother? Can we see how
it is born, and how much better and stronger it grows than
its brother?

Phaedrus: What is this way of using words? How is it born,
do you think?

Socrates: It is the kind that is written along with knowledge
in the soul of a student. It is capable of defending itself, and
it knows how to speak to those it should and keep silent in
the company of those to whom it shouldn’t speak.

Phaedrus: You’re talking about the living, ensouled speech
of a man of knowledge. We’d be right to describe the written
word as a mere image of this.

Socrates: Absolutely. So here’s another question for you. 
Consider a sensible farmer who cares for his seeds and
wants to see them come to fruition. Do you think he’d
happily spend time and effort planting them in the summer
in gardens of Adonis, and watch them grow up in eight
days, or would he do this, if at all, as a diversion and for the
sake of a festival? Don’t you think that for seeds he was
serious about he’d draw on his skill as a farmer, sow them in
the appropriate soil, and be content if what he sowed
reached maturity in the eighth month?

Phaedrus: Yes, that’s what he’d do, Socrates. He’d take care 
of the one lot of seeds and treat the others differently, just as
you said.

Socrates: So are we to say that someone who knows about
right and fine and good activities is less sensible than our
farmer where his own seeds are concerned?

Phaedrus: Of course not.

Socrates: Then he won’t spend time and effort writing what
he knows in water–– in black water [ink]––and sowing them with
his pen by means of words which can neither speak in their
own defence nor come up with a satisfactory explanation of
the truth.

Phaedrus: No, it’s hardly likely that he will.

Socrates: No. He’ll probably sow and write his gardens d
of letters for amusement, if at all, as a way of storing up
things to jog his own memory when ‘he reaches the age of
forgetfulness’, and also the memory of anyone else who is
pursuing the same course as him. He’ll happily watch these
delicate gardens growing, and he’ll presumably spend his
time diverting himself with them rather than the symposia
and so on with which other people amuse themselves.

Phaedrus: What a wonderful kind of diversion you’re 
describing, Socrates––that of a person who can amuse himself
with words, as he tells stories about justice and the other
things you mentioned––compared with the trivial pastimes
of others!

Socrates: Yes, that’s right, my dear Phaedrus. But it’s far
better, in my opinion, to treat justice and so on seriously,
which is what happens when an expert dialectician takes
hold of a suitable soul and uses his knowledge to plant and
sow the kinds of words which are capable of defending both
themselves and the one who planted them. So far from
being barren, these words bear a seed from which other
words grow in other environments. This makes them capable
of giving everlasting life to the original seed, and of
making the man who has them as happy as it is possible for a
mortal man to be.

Phaedrus: Yes, this is certainly far better.

Since the text is inert on its own, and can't argue back when some idiot interprets it wrongly, Socrates advocates choosing his students carefully, planting the seed of the idea with them, and nurturing it like a skilled gardener.

This is in contrast to the famous parable in the NT, where Jesus talks about scattering seeds far and wide, knowing that most will fail to root, or will get eaten by birds.
'When a government - either secular or religious - tells you, "This you may not see, this you may not hear, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how noble the motives.' - Robert A. Heinlein

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 21, 2019 at 8:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'When a government - either secular or religious - tells you, "This you may not see, this you may not hear, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how noble the motives.' - Robert A. Heinlein

Boru

Are you talking about governments? 

I was talking about spiritual teachers, who know that not everybody is right for certain messages. Would you be willing to devote a lot of your time to teaching Donald Trump about the Nicomachean Ethics? I wouldn't.
(November 21, 2019 at 8:49 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(November 21, 2019 at 8:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'When a government - either secular or religious - tells you, "This you may not see, this you may not hear, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how noble the motives.' - Robert A. Heinlein

Boru

Are you talking about governments? 

I was talking about spiritual teachers, who know that not everybody is right for certain messages. Would you be willing to devote a lot of your time to teaching Donald Trump about the Nicomachean Ethics? I wouldn't.

Yes, I'm talking about governments.  For a very, very long time, in a large number of cultures, there was no discernable difference between the established church and the government.  The priest class and the ruling class were effectively the same thing.

Boru
The distinction remains hazy, the power of american evangelism to elect representatives as a case in point.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Good Commandments god bother 21 2281 December 22, 2020 at 8:33 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9473 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Write your own commandments BrokenQuill92 29 5812 July 27, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Humanist Ten Commandments Doubting Thomas 47 10117 November 8, 2013 at 4:13 am
Last Post: genkaus
Video Why the Ten Commandments are Bulls**t (video) theblankideas 2 1863 May 13, 2012 at 7:06 am
Last Post: theblankideas
  Why should we love love beyond what is necessary for gene survival? rybak303 1 1337 August 17, 2010 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  My 10 Commandments Kyuuketsuki 9 3432 April 22, 2009 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki