Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 2:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
RE: Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
(May 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm)Heywood Wrote: You agree that at some point, on earth, most lineages of life will be the result of intelligent design. If this is true of the earth, and it appears this will soon be the case, Why couldn't it be true of the universe itself?

For my money, I'd say that there's no reason that it couldn't be true of the Universe itself in that scenario. However, that's only the start of the journey, not the end. You can't just posit the possibility and then stop there as though you've made some scientific breakthrough and expect to be taken seriously without putting in the work to test the hypothesis. That's the part where creationists constantly and consistently fall down.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 1:05 pm)Heywood Wrote: You agree that at some point, on earth, most lineages of life will be the result of intelligent design. If this is true of the earth, and it appears this will soon be the case, Why couldn't it be true of the universe itself?

For my money, I'd say that there's no reason that it couldn't be true of the Universe itself in that scenario. However, that's only the start of the journey, not the end. You can't just posit the possibility and then stop there as though you've made some scientific breakthrough and expect to be taken seriously without putting in the work to test the hypothesis. That's the part where creationists constantly and consistently fall down.

So you agree that it could be true that most lineages of life in the universe are the products of intellect? I don't know if you realize it yet or not, but atheists need what creationist have been trying to do....that is have an objective means to differentiate between something that is designed and something that is not designed. Without this objective means....the atheist position is much weaker than the theists. Let me explain.

Imagine walking down a beach and finding a watch. You know the watch was designed and produced by an intellect and did not occur naturally. How do you know this? Not because of the precision and complexity of the device(this is where my argument differs from Paley's). You know it was designed and produced by an intellect and not nature because in your experience you've observed that watches are designed and produced by intellects, and you've never seen them occur naturally. You know this watch you found was the product of an intellect even though you aren't privy to the details of it creation. This is how we currently differentiate the designed from the not designed.

What about lineages of life? Well if you only observe lineages of life coming into existence by being designed and produced by intellects, and never observe them coming into existence naturally, you are in a good position to claim that a lineage of life whose creation details you are not privy too was designed and produced by an intellect. A theists is in a strong position to claim that all lineages of biological life are designed and produced by intellects, because the rule we use to determined what is designed and produced by an intellect and what isn't suggests that biological life is like a watch....something exclusively designed and produced by intellects.
(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote: What about lineages of life? Well if you only observe lineages of life coming into existence by being designed and produced by intellects, and never observe them coming into existence naturally, you are in a good position to claim that a lineage of life whose creation details you are not privy too was designed and produced by intellects.
You realize that you are outnumbered in your own body by "lineages" or "life" that is not a product of any intellect we can detect....correct?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 30, 2014 at 4:37 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote: What about lineages of life? Well if you only observe lineages of life coming into existence by being designed and produced by intellects, and never observe them coming into existence naturally, you are in a good position to claim that a lineage of life whose creation details you are not privy too was designed and produced by intellects.
You realize that you are outnumbered in your own body by "lineages" or "life" that is not a product of any intellect we can detect....correct?

All life on this earth, including every cell in my body, all of it descends from a Universal Common Ancestor. There is only one known lineage of life on this planet. Soon there will be many lineages.....and most, if not all, will have been designed and produced by intellects.
(May 30, 2014 at 4:46 pm)Heywood Wrote: All life on this earth, including every cell in my body, all of it descends from a Universal Common Ancestor.
Indeed...which..so far as we can tell....did not have any sort of "intellect" going for it whatsoever. Try again.

(by your logic..wouldn't that then mean that -no- life on this planet is a product of intellect?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 30, 2014 at 4:47 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 4:46 pm)Heywood Wrote: All life on this earth, including every cell in my body, all of it descends from a Universal Common Ancestor.
Indeed...which..so far as we can tell....did not have any sort of "intellect" going for it whatsoever. Try again.

The intellect that made the watch found on the beach....he or she is no where to be found....yet you still know the watch was made by an intellect.

If SETI finds a signal and determines it of intelligent alien origin, they don't need to see the intelligent aliens. Why? Because certain kinds of signals are always observed to be the products of intellect and never observed to be the products of nature. That's how SETI will differentiate a designed signal and one that is produced by nature.

The rule we use to determine what is designed and what isn't, doesn't require the intellect to present. Only the intellects product need be present and our previous experience with those kinds of things.

Atheists need some means of determining what is designed and what isn't that doesn't rely on our experience.
(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm)Stimbo Wrote: For my money, I'd say that there's no reason that it couldn't be true of the Universe itself in that scenario. However, that's only the start of the journey, not the end. You can't just posit the possibility and then stop there as though you've made some scientific breakthrough and expect to be taken seriously without putting in the work to test the hypothesis. That's the part where creationists constantly and consistently fall down.

So you agree that it could be true that most lineages of life in the universe are the products of intellect?

No, I said that in the scenario you painted I see no reason that it couldn't be true - but that I'm not going to swallow it or anything about it until the work is done to show it to be true.

Creationists, IDiots and CDesign Proponentsists need to show their work just like real scientists have to.

(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote: I don't know if you realize it yet or not,

This isn't condescending at all.

(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote: but atheists need what creationist have been trying to do....that is have an objective means to differentiate between something that is designed and something that is not designed.

But that's exactly what your side hasn't got. You have no means of discerning design in nature from naturally evolved things. Even the artificially created specimens you've been trumpeting here are known to be designed purely because the designers published papers detailing exactly how they did it.

(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote: Without this objective means....the atheist position is much weaker than the theists. Let me explain.

Can I have a lollipop after the story if I'm a good boy?

(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote: Imagine walking down a beach and finding a watch. You know the watch was designed and produced by an intellect and did not occur naturally. How do you know this? Not because of the precision and complexity of the device(this is where my argument differs from Paley's). You know it was designed and produced by an intellect and not nature because in your experience you've observed that watches are designed and produced by intellects, and you've never seen them occur naturally. You know this watch you found was the product of an intellect even though you aren't privy to the details of it creation. This is how we currently differentiate the designed from the not designed.

Exactly so. Which is why we can't make the same claims for a tree, a bird, or a blade of grass.

(May 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm)Heywood Wrote: What about lineages of life? Well if you only observe lineages of life coming into existence by being designed and produced by intellects, and never observe them coming into existence naturally, you are in a good position to claim that a lineage of life whose creation details you are not privy too was designed and produced by an intellect. A theists is in a strong position to claim that all lineages of biological life are designed and produced by intellects, because the rule we use to determined what is designed and produced by an intellect and what isn't suggests that biological life is like a watch....something exclusively designed and produced by intellects.

And yet again I'm saying that you can claim anything you like and it doesn't amount to a mosquito's fart unless you test the claim against the real world. Do your home work first, then we can have something to talk about instead of warmed-over Paley.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I didn't design myself, but if I did I would design me to be exactly as I am. Because I'm awesome.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(May 30, 2014 at 4:54 pm)Heywood Wrote: The intellect that made the watch found on the beach....he or she is no where to be found....yet you still know the watch was made by an intellect.
If you aren't anywhere to be found and yet you found a watch on the beach.........well, I don't think I can help you there. Again you manage to defeat your own position.

Quote:If SETI finds a signal and determines it of intelligent alien origin, they don't need to see the intelligent aliens. Why? Because certain kinds of signals are always observed to be the products of intellect and never observed to be the products of nature. That's how SETI will differentiate a designed signal and one that is produced by nature.
I would be amused to find SETI claiming that they had found a signal of "alien origin" in the absence of findings aliens. I think the best they'll be able to do is say "We found a signal that does 't fit"- which, last I checked, is not the case with life.

Quote:The rule we use to determine what is designed and what isn't, doesn't require the intellect to present. Only the intellects product need be present and our previous experience with those kinds of things.
If we have previous experience then it was, at some point, present and observable to us. Make it so for your "intelligent designer"?

Quote:Atheists need some means of determining what is designed and what isn't that doesn't rely on our experience.
Why do atheists specifically need this..in any case, if you're looking for "some means of determining" -anything- that "doesn't rely on our experience"...you're SOL...and skipping stones on the pond of solipsism.
Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
(May 30, 2014 at 4:54 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 4:47 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Indeed...which..so far as we can tell....did not have any sort of "intellect" going for it whatsoever. Try again.

The intellect that made the watch found on the beach....he or she is no where to be found....yet you still know the watch was made by an intellect.

If SETI finds a signal and determines it of intelligent alien origin, they don't need to see the intelligent aliens. Why? Because certain kinds of signals are always observed to be the products of intellect and never observed to be the products of nature. That's how SETI will differentiate a designed signal and one that is produced by nature.

The rule we use to determine what is designed and what isn't, doesn't require the intellect to present. Only the intellects product need be present and our previous experience with those kinds of things.

Atheists need some means of determining what is designed and what isn't that doesn't rely on our experience.

Atheists aren't responsible for refuting a claim no one has been able to support.

[Image: asapyzat.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3046 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5758 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5176 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 2048 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 13592 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why and How Did you Kill God? ScienceAf 67 11690 August 28, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2534 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Intelligent Design Veritas 1021 161905 January 16, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How did you become an atheist? Excited Penguin 256 34317 December 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5598 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris