Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 9:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
RE: Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
(May 31, 2014 at 10:03 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 9:20 pm)Heywood Wrote: The rules apply to everyone is the official line....the reality is different.

Yeah, because we never ban atheist members for bad behavior.

Cthulhu, that's no fair. Using facts to slam a false complaint.

Leave that Christian alone! Persecution! Persecution!

[Image: beingrepressed.gif]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(May 31, 2014 at 10:08 pm)Starvald Demelain Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 10:03 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Yeah, because we never ban atheist members for bad behavior.

Cthulhu, that's no fair. Using facts to slam a false complaint.

I even missed a few.

You know what, Heywood - I didn't even have to go deep to find them. Most of them above were regulars with more than a thousand posts, one with over 5000 and over 60 reputation.

So, please, take your accusations of inequity and shove them deep, I mean REALLY deep, up your backside.
So.... now this is a thread about how it's unfair to ban Artur, because Heywood didn't bother to acquaint himself with the man's entire posting history before commenting on an issue he doesn't know all the facts of? Thinking

Hmm, that's pretty much business as usual, then. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 31, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Esquilax Wrote: So.... now this is a thread about how it's unfair to ban Artur, because Heywood didn't bother to acquaint himself with the man's entire posting history before commenting on an issue he doesn't know all the facts of? Thinking

I never claimed Artur's ban was unfair. His unprovoked attack against Broken Quill was uncalled for so as far as I am concerned sanction warranted.

I commented on the fact that it is difficult to be an argumentative theist on an atheist forum. Artur needs to grow some skin if and when he comes back. He needs to realize A) people will ridicule him and B) Mods and their actions are not perfectly balanced...they're people after all. He should not let those two things get to him if he is to survive here.
(May 31, 2014 at 11:30 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 11:07 pm)Esquilax Wrote: So.... now this is a thread about how it's unfair to ban Artur, because Heywood didn't bother to acquaint himself with the man's entire posting history before commenting on an issue he doesn't know all the facts of? Thinking

I never claimed Artur's ban was unfair. His unprovoked attack against Broken Quill was uncalled for so as far as I am concerned sanction warranted.

You might want to chose your words more carefully in the future, because "The rules apply to everyone is the official line....the reality is different." sounds suspiciously like an accusation of bias.

Just sayin'.
(May 31, 2014 at 11:30 pm)Heywood Wrote: I never claimed Artur's ban was unfair. His unprovoked attack against Broken Quill was uncalled for so as far as I am concerned sanction warranted.

I commented on the fact that it is difficult to be an argumentative theist on an atheist forum. Artur needs to grow some skin if and when he comes back. He needs to realize A) people will ridicule him and B) Mods and their actions are not perfectly balanced...they're people after all. He should not let those two things get to him if he is to survive here.

But that's what I'm saying: Artur wasn't banned for insults alone. He was banned for a persistent refusal to respond to others, in addition to his trolling, which was often unprovoked in other threads. There's like five threads he's been active in recently, and all of them boil down to an evasive mix of strange invective and outright ignorance, both of which break forum rules.

To talk about just his actions in this thread is to miss most of the story.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 31, 2014 at 7:35 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 6:59 pm)Irrational Wrote: If human life can be created and designed without the need for God, then there is no reason why one must or should accept God's existence as an intelligent creator/designer of human life.

This is nonsense.

Suppose God and Zod exist. Both can create human life. God creates human life. This would be reason enough to accept God's existence as an intelligent creator/designer of human life.

Zod's existence and actions(or in action) have nothing to do with Gods existence and action.

But, as I said, this violates the principle of parsimony (or what some people refer to as Occam's razor). If a relatively simple being like Zod can do it, then why invoke God? Unless you have evidence that shows that God exists and was more likely to have started human life, we don't have a [good] reason to think God did it.

(May 31, 2014 at 8:10 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 8:04 pm)Chas Wrote: Your response has nothing to do with the statement. It is a complete non sequitur.

Negative Chas,

In my example God didn't need to create humans. Zod could have. The fact that God did create humans would be reason enough. If humans could have came to be naturally, but God created them anyways, the fact that God created them would be reason enough to acknowledge God as the creator of humans.

It all follows....you're just not that bright.

And, once again, that is why we have to keep things as simple as possible and use Occam's razor to rule all unnecessary explanations out. You don't just add/multiply entities when unwarranted by the evidence.

(May 31, 2014 at 9:20 pm)Heywood Wrote: The rules apply to everyone is the official line....the reality is different. The reality is if I responded insult for insult, I or any argumentative theists would be labeled troll and quickly banned.

Its no big deal though Stimbo. This is an atheists forum. If argumentative theists want to discuss here....we got to play by your rules....even the unwritten ones.

Same would be true if you go to a religious forum.

At least he was given at least a warning. I can't even access as a guest the Christian forum I used to post at.

What I get everytime I go there is the following:

Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
Spam/Foul language
This ban is not set to expire.

Which, as far as I know, is either false or exaggerated. Count your blessings, that's all I can say.
Heywood, I really think you need to make it clear precisely what it is you think you're pointing out. You agree that Artur's behaviour warranted a sanction, yet at the same time you're complaining of bias and unfair treatment towards non-atheists; despite the evidence presented to you and the lack of awareness of behind-the-scenes deliberations. Cards on the table - in plain English, what exactly is the problem here and how do you propose we resolve it?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 31, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 5:23 pm)pocaracas Wrote: I know others have told you, but I haven't been around the PC all day and I'd like to reply, too! Tongue

I did criticize your argument when I mentioned that all you have is humans building living organisms, based on all the "rules" of living organisms that humans had discovered before. But it seems your comprehension is a bit slow... huh?.. others have told you exactly the same, and yet, you keep parroting that no one is addressing your argument.

Humans are pretty close to creating machine life too. Such an achievement will not be based on the rules of living organisms.
Machine life is way far out of our current scope...
Machine intelligence isn't that far out, but it's another beast altogether.

(May 31, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Heywood Wrote: Also it is quite likely we will invent new rules of living organisms(actually we already have....watermarks).

watermarks? What do you mean? this DNA-based watermarks using the DNA-Crypt algorithm. )

You could have gone with the 6 letter genome that was presented a few weeks ago: http://www.livescience.com/45419-first-o...tters.html. That would've been a nice try... instead... meh.
Even if you had gone with the 6-letter genome, it would have been based on the currently known genomes.... and according to the study, these extra letters are there just for show, they don't seem to be encoding any proteins:

Quote:expanding that alphabet to include artificial letters could give organisms the ability to produce new proteins never seen before in nature.

The man-made DNA could be used for everything from the manufacture of new drugs and vaccines to forensics, researchers say.

"What we have done is successfully store increased information in the DNA of a living cell," study leader Floyd Romesberg, a chemical biologist at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, told Live Science. Yet many steps remain before Romesberg and his colleagues can get cells to produce artificial proteins.

But maybe they can... one day.

Even so, you're still only presenting humans as creators of something, from "basic" building blocks. And of course, we know humans can create things... Ever since the wheel was invented (and maybe before) that we've known this.
What we don't know is if there's anything else that has the same ability.

When you said "watermarks", were you wishing to claim there's some watermark on every earthling that shows that we're property of some extra-terrestrial entity?
(June 1, 2014 at 1:06 am)Stimbo Wrote: Heywood, I really think you need to make it clear precisely what it is you think you're pointing out. You agree that Artur's behaviour warranted a sanction, yet at the same time you're complaining of bias and unfair treatment towards non-atheists; despite the evidence presented to you and the lack of awareness of behind-the-scenes deliberations. Cards on the table - in plain English, what exactly is the problem here and how do you propose we resolve it?

He's just butthurt.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3046 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5758 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5176 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 2048 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 13592 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why and How Did you Kill God? ScienceAf 67 11689 August 28, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2534 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Intelligent Design Veritas 1021 161893 January 16, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How did you become an atheist? Excited Penguin 256 34315 December 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5598 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris