Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.56 Average
Hall of wit and epicness.
RE: Hall of wit and epicness.
Yeah, Rhythm has a way with words and lots of insight. I must be a non-contributor too because I never manage to put in here any of the posts I've enjoyed so much. Somehow a thumbs-up and responding post make me feel done. If I'm moved more than that it is to add rep. Not sure this old dog can manage one more trick. Too bad too since we have so many talented posters .. especially that Cinjin, everything he posts should be in here. Angel
Agreed, can't we just auto-merge all of his posts?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
http://atheistforums.org/thread-27132.html 10th quote on the page:

MrAgenda Wrote:I'd say it's way more important to be kind to people you know in RL than strangers on the internet. I don't go around busting people's chops for being creationists even though I think the idea is silly. But I DO think it's silly and after a long day of not busting people's chops in a state where the majority of people are creationists, I like to unwind by bashing it on the internet.

But I don't blame creationists for being creationists. They're raised in a bubble, and that's not their fault. And their parents are trying to do the right thing by supplying the bubble. I won't say none of them are acting 'in bad faith', but most of them aren't. I don't blame members of a tribe who think their ancestors manipulate events, it's normal to believe what everyone you respect takes for granted as being true. It's pro-social, and our instincts lead us to do it.

Skepticism is going against the flow, it puts reason and science over group solidarity and tradition. It's the best guide in the long run and has brought us nearly everything the modern world has to offer. But I understand and sympathize with those who resist changing their foundational beliefs. Furthermore, I think that empathy gives me a better chance of persuading someone to modify their beliefs.

This puts it all in perspective don't you think? Makes me wonder if the conflict between pro-social tribal impulses and skepticism isn't also the underlying foundation for the conflict between conservatism and liberalism.

Tah dah! I've finally managed to connect the dots and use this thread. Today I am a contributor.
The Reasonable Doubts podcast did an episode on that tribalism among conservatives, but fuck me if I can figure out which one it was without listening to the entire back catalogue. I've been trying half-heartedly to figure it out for a year. But it exists.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(July 6, 2014 at 11:41 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: The Reasonable Doubts podcast did an episode on that tribalism among conservatives, but fuck me if I can figure out which one it was without listening to the entire back catalogue. I've been trying half-heartedly to figure it out for a year. But it exists.

Do you mean trying to figure out what the conservatism vs liberal divide is about? If so, it's one of my on-going projects as well.
Well, not so much "trying" as reporting on various studies discussing the differences. The differences were as such that you could pretty much infer why those conflicts would come about. I will redouble my efforts to find out which one it is and post it.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(July 9, 2014 at 9:18 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(July 9, 2014 at 8:53 pm)Losty Wrote: I indeed am not appealing to fallacy, unless there is a fallacy of using the actual definition of a word. The last I checked that isn't a fallacy.

*Puts on MA hat*

You're committing the fallacy of fallacy by fallaciously appealing to the definition of a fallacy.

Give this guy a trophy for the best impression I have seen in a long time!
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
http://doubtreligion.blogspot.com/2009/0...r.html?m=1

Is it this un', SummerQ?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 10, 2014 at 5:11 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(July 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm)atheist04330 Wrote: as an atheist my goal in life is to make little baby atheists.

I thought we as free thinkers left the breeding to the believers. We reproduce by a process of co-opting their offspring and assimilating them into our growing herd of cats.

You breed 'em.
We un-creed 'em.

[My bolding]

Select > Copy >Paste into "Awesome Quotes" Word document.

This should be made into a t-shirt. Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(July 14, 2014 at 6:20 pm)Bad Writer Wrote: If you don't want opposition to your beliefs, then don't post on a public discussion forum, genius.

Awesome.

Forgot the link: http://atheistforums.org/thread-22331-po...#pid708370

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 14280 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Hall of epic cuteness............... Brian37 13 1672 December 16, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Hall of random shit Cyberman 55 10134 November 11, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Joods
  AF Hall of Mirth (Post Edition) Jackalope 117 35183 December 4, 2016 at 2:42 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Hall of Utter Cuteness and Intense Adorableness Edwardo Piet 51 8159 September 9, 2016 at 9:51 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  AF Hall of Horror Foxaèr 32 3423 July 18, 2016 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hall of Salad, Word Salad that Is Jenny A 35 6857 September 27, 2015 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Tongue Hall of Irony Bob Kelso 0 1326 June 26, 2015 at 4:53 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
Star Internet Hall of Crazy Tea Earl Grey Hot 5 3563 May 16, 2014 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Violet
  Privacy concerns from [split] AF Hall of Shame (Post Edition) Rayaan 178 38321 January 8, 2014 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Rayaan