Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 7:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
And Hells come back to haunt me
RE: And Hells come back to haunt me
(October 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm)snowtracks Wrote: would be interesting to know what the atheist think happens after death (perhaps it's not discussed for lack of proof).

Nothing at all. There is no reason to believe otherwise beyond wishful thinking.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm)snowtracks Wrote: would be interesting to know what the atheist think happens after death (perhaps it's not discussed for lack of proof).

After my death, I have no doubt that the rest of the world will continue on just fine without me. At brain death, my consciousness will cease to be, and "I" will only continue to "exist" in the memories of those that knew me, until they too die.

Do you know that you are comprised of billions of somatic cells and that thousands and sometimes millions of them die daily? When you rubbed your nose and the skin cells died screaming because they were dislodged, did they go to heaven right away? Did your skin cells "see jesus in a bright light" before they died? Or did it just die and it didn't do anything?

The full body death is just EXACTLY like that, except in greater numbers. It just dies like the skin cell on your ass or the brain cells in your head. No magic, before or after.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Rainbow 
thanks for the replies and the honest answers (except last one ---- bad attempt at being sardonic).
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(October 25, 2013 at 12:11 am)snowtracks Wrote: thanks for the replies and the honest answers (except last one ---- bad attempt at being sardonic).

I dunno, I think it's a valid enough question: if the body is just a container for the soul, what reason does the soul have to stick with the main mass and not with any disembodied pieces of it? How does it discern the difference? Or does it just have a place where it lives?

Presumably the brain, right? I mean, it's almost as if this whole afterlife thing is just an ad hoc reward formulated in such a way as to be completely unverifiable during the one useful life we have!
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
About every seven years or so, you come to a point where all of the original cells have died. Go look at a 2005 picture of yourself. That person is completely dead. As all the cells that made up that person are dead, you are currently the "child" of that earlier person. The bible writers had no idea about this and didn't address it in their works.

So when you ask what happens to you when you die, the answer is the exact same thing that happened your younger body. As to what happens to your mind, well it simply stops along with the brain.

(October 25, 2013 at 3:42 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(October 25, 2013 at 12:11 am)snowtracks Wrote: thanks for the replies and the honest answers (except last one ---- bad attempt at being sardonic).

I dunno, I think it's a valid enough question: if the body is just a container for the soul, what reason does the soul have to stick with the main mass and not with any disembodied pieces of it? How does it discern the difference? Or does it just have a place where it lives?

Presumably the brain, right? I mean, it's almost as if this whole afterlife thing is just an ad hoc reward formulated in such a way as to be completely unverifiable during the one useful life we have!

What does the brain have to do with it? Your soul is in your kidneys, so be very choosy when you get a kidney transplant. (You don't want to go to hell for the donor!)

Jesus will search your kidneys

I [Jesus] am he which searcheth the reins [kidneys] and hearts. Revelation 2:23

Yes, it's true. Jesus is going to search through your kidneys. And if he doesn't like what he finds there, he's going to send you to hell.

You see, according to the Bible, your conscience is in your kidneys (called "reins" in the King James Version). So by inspecting them, Jesus can tell if you've been naughty or nice.

Here are some other verses that give a God's eye view of kidneys.

Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins. Psalm 7:9

I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. Pslam 16:7

Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. Psalm 26:2

Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. Psalm 73:21

Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things. Proverbs 23:16

But, O LORD of hosts, that judgest righteously, that triest the reins and the heart. Jeremiah 11:20

I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. Jeremiah 17:10

But, O LORD of hosts, that triest the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart. Jeremiah 20:12

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/...dneys.html
(October 25, 2013 at 6:54 am)Brakeman Wrote: God trieth the hearts and reins

And then settles on the salad, with a small glass of mineral water. IBS is a bitch, sayeth the LORD. - KFC 21, 6-6 7/8
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 25, 2013 at 8:32 am)Stimbo Wrote:
(October 25, 2013 at 6:54 am)Brakeman Wrote: God trieth the hearts and reins

And then settles on the salad, with a small glass of mineral water. IBS is a bitch, sayeth the LORD. - KFC 21, 6-6 7/8

Funny you should mention "salad" as this is what a Lexicon says about it:

Outline of Biblical Usage
I.a kidney

II.kidneys, loins

A.used of the inmost thoughts, feelings, purposes, of the soul

But anyways, I still find it amusing that atheists tend to stick to a literal reading, it leads to good stuff.
(October 25, 2013 at 11:13 am)catfish Wrote: Funny you should mention "salad" as this is what a Lexicon says about it:

Outline of Biblical Usage
I.a kidney

II.kidneys, loins

A.used of the inmost thoughts, feelings, purposes, of the soul

But anyways, I still find it amusing that atheists tend to stick to a literal reading, it leads to good stuff.

How would that start to become understood metaphorically? What quality of the kidneys were chosen to embody the meaning that the writer wanted to communicate? When an author chooses to use a metaphor there is a quality that one intends to communicate. For example, the metaphor "the "rock" of ages", makes sense since the rock is hard, strong, and unmoving, which is what the writers wanted to convey with that sentence. "The sock of ages" makes no sense as there is no quality of a sock that a writer would be intending to portray. So what about a kidney was the writer or jesus trying to convey to the bible audience? If a metaphor is created it must have a origin and a basis for that origin.

The origin of our common "feelings in your heart" metaphor originates from the ancient belief that the heart was the center of feeling. In the same way, the ancients actually believed that the mind and soul resided in the kidneys. So whether or not we use it as a metaphor today is beside the point, originally it was the scientific thought of the day. It was simply ignorant and wrong, but jesus forgot to tell the ignorant gospel writers about the correct science. Dumb jesus!
Quote:Presumably the brain, right? I mean, it's almost as if this whole afterlife thing is just an ad hoc reward formulated in such a way as to be completely unverifiable during the one useful life we have!

afterlife makes sense from this angle, the universe is heading for a 'heat death' since it's expanding and getting cooler to the point where information can't be transmitted for lack of concentrated heat (energy) which would mean anything that happened in the trillion years would be lost forever. so, no afterlife, nothing ultimately matters.
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1359 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2748 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2518 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4813 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 763562 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 36613 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  'it will come back to you' Longhorn 23 5086 June 20, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Christians Come to the Waters... daver49 2 1262 March 20, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 24834 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  That Day will come as a trap on all the world professor 1458 187939 October 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie