Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 5:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body
RE: What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body
(August 18, 2016 at 12:16 am)bennyboy Wrote: No, I do not believe a camera sees anything.
I wasn't asking you about your beliefs, though, was I?  I asked you if what you called seeing red was qualitatively or quantitatively different from what other matter, such as camera, is doing. It's going to take more than "I don't believe cameras see" to respond to -that- question.

Quote:Show me what part of physics, what universal properties, qualities or forces, can, in any combination, allow for my actual experience of redness.  Sure, you can wave in the general direction of the brain.  But that's no more an explanation of the existence of subjective awareness than a computer is for the existence of League of Legends.
You already asked that question, and I already answered it.  I didn't wave at the brain at all, didn't even mention it.......strange, it's the only part of my post you -didn't- include in your quotes, and it's the very first portion of my previous response. I;'ll repeat it, for your benefit. Fundamentally, that matter can interact. You asked, and asked again, what could allow for the experience. If you expect a full or satisfying explanation of the experience then perhaps you should ask for that instead, and probably not to me? I only know enough to dispense with the low hanging fruit that people so often put forward as some sort of deepity.........

How serious can you possibly be about this shit if you insist that nuerology is "waving at the brain" btw, I've wanted to ask you that for a long time. Seems appropriate now, since you've started to repeat it like you're trying to cast a spell. Wink

(I distinctly remember having had this conversation with you before...and iirc..we came to a mutual understanding. Really don't know why it's flared up again. You find all of this "brainwaiving" unsatisfying, for a host of reasons...some that I can understand, and some that make me say "wtf?"...that doesn't mean it's insufficient. You don't like the explanations offered, for a host of reasons, some that I understand and some that make me say "wtf?"....that doesn't make the phenomena inexplicable, even if it is partially or wholly unexplained.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 17, 2016 at 7:10 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Unlike most here, I take the issue of qualia (the subjective experience of what things are like) as quite mysterious.  There's nothing I know about matter that would allow me to see red light as the experience of "redness."  I take as one possibility either that the Universe is actually idealistic, with all the physical reality really being our experience of a conglomeration of ideas (something like the Matrix), or that the Universe is panpsychic-- i.e. that at least the elements of mind are in everything, or at least in every energetic interchange.

In either of those cases, you could DEFINE God as the sum total of the mental activity of the universe.  But the problem with Christians who make this kind of philosophical argument is that it's a pivot point.  They'll generally say something like: "Panpsychism, therefore God, therefore believe in Sky Daddy and the resurrection of Christ."  This is a sad non sequitur at best.

qualia is not the only problem, there is something way more obvious. It’s this.
You are aware of simultaneous events. That is at any given instant say you were looking at tree that would mean you are aware of the collection of events. How come as special relativity (physics) precluded the possibility of simultaneous events creating anything collectively. Yet you experience is one and the same as these events at every instant if it were totally due to events alone.
HOOEY TO THE EXTREME
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
@Silva
I'm pretty sure that Jorg responded definitively to these statements in another thread, and now you're just spreading them around the boards as though it were an open question.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 18, 2016 at 1:49 am)Rhythm Wrote: @Silva
I'm pretty sure that Jorg responded definitively to these statements in another thread, and now you're just spreading them around the boards as though it were an open question.

Sorry to say there has been no definitive response
I suspect that for as long as you breath, you will contend that there hasn't been.   Dodgy
(August 17, 2016 at 9:49 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(August 17, 2016 at 8:12 am)fdesilva Wrote: Do you think its impossible for human or some other intelligence to develop to a stage where it can create an universe?

Impossible? No. But just because something is "possible", doesn't make it a fact - infinite number of things are "possible". At the moment there is no reason to believe a human, or some other intelligence created the universe. And even if there was, there would still be a question - "Who/what created that intelligence?".

However - that has nothing to do with what you posted in the OP, or with what I said in reply. You claim, that god is the mind of the Universe and while that's also technically "possible" - no one has any evidence, that the Universe has or needs a mind, or that it works in a way remotely resembling human body.

Does my hand know my mind controls it? I am not by any means trying to say the body and the universe are identical but rather using it to demonstrate how A could be in control of B and B not know about it. In this case the body is not conscious even though its made of cells etc like the brain
Why are you do desperate to worship this "mind"? If it's just some intelligence external to our reality, what makes you think it even gives a toss about us?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Wouldn;t that make your deepity a triviality?  OFC the universe isn't aware that god controls it, if god controls it...the universe is no more conscious than my hand is.
Oh, my fucking goddess!

Grow the fuck up, already.

fdesilva, you are not in any way resembling intelligence.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1358 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1140 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 293 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12302 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11483 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
  Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences? arda101 39 6022 January 29, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Magilla
  Mind from the Inside bennyboy 46 6212 September 18, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2102 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
  Mind is the brain? Mystic 301 30642 April 19, 2016 at 6:09 pm
  Is personal identity really just mind? Pizza 47 6820 February 14, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky