Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Carrier - The Hero Savior Analogy
RE: Richard Carrier - The Hero Savior Analogy
(October 1, 2016 at 2:16 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yet another christ believer who insists upon conspiracies, as though they were relevant.  This is -why- discussions of the mythicist position are unfruitful, and it's pretty much the only song in the book..of late.

-Could- some great and vast conspiracy account for the narrative?  Sure, but who cares, since we're not discussing a conspiracy and one need not have occurred to account for the narrative...regardless of whether it's historical...legendary, or mythical?

Most of the myth advocates I have heard (including Carrier), normally turn to some kind of conspiracy (even if they do not like to call it that).  Otherwise, how do you account for the same story being told in multiple places by multiple people?  This would be opposed to a legendary account, in which the story was not invented whole cloth, but grew over time; distorting the actual history.  For both, that lack of evidence or reasons for their conclusion is a problem.  For the legend theory, their is also a lack of time, for the legend to replace the actual events.

Since you are not putting forth any arguments, I am going by what I have normally run into.   I would love to discuss something specific, if you would like to put forth your view that you are advocating.  However until then, I can only speak in generalities of what I have encountered.
-You- need to see conspiracies, because -you- think that they are easier to argue against than the mythicist position.

-How do account for the same story being told by multiple peoples?

You're right, it must be a conspiracy, just like the conspiracy to tell our children that mary had a little lamb......

The lack of evidence for jesus is not a problem for anyone but yourself. The stories exist regardless. It;s interesting..I think, that you'd like to talk about legends. Do you know the difference between a myth and a legend? One is taken to be, or believed to be, based on some kernel of history. The other is not. That's it, that's all. There is no other general line that can be drawn between and extended to all cases. So, to make a determination of legend (in the former, rather than latter sense) against, say...myth, one need only point to the evidence of historicty. Which, frankly, you don't have. What you have are the stories, your belief in them, and the belief of others in the same.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 2, 2016 at 12:18 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -You- need to see conspiracies, because -you- think that they are easier to argue against than the mythicist position.

-How do account for the same story being told by multiple peoples?

You're right, it must be a conspiracy, just like the conspiracy to tell our children that mary had a little lamb......

The lack of evidence for jesus is not a problem for anyone but yourself. The stories exist regardless. It;s interesting..I think, that you'd like to talk about legends. Do you know the difference between a myth and a legend? One is taken to be, or believed to be, based on some kernel of history. The other is not. That's it, that's all. There is no other general line that can be drawn between and extended to all cases. So, to make a determination of legend (in the former, rather than latter sense) against, say...myth, one need only point to the evidence of historicty. Which, frankly, you don't have. What you have are the stories, your belief in them, and the belief of others in the same.

Rather than you guessing as to my motivations(and doing poorly), I think we would be better discussing the evidence... Now you take the historical evidence, and seem to dismiss them as just stories..... I am wondering why?
No one -needs- to guess as to your motivations. You've made them clear. You insist upon conspiracy theories, plain as day. That's what you demanded that others explain, repeatedly, as though this were an explanation of the mythicist position....which it is not.

What historical evidence? Wait, wait, don't tell me "the bible says......"...................
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 2, 2016 at 2:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: No one -needs- to guess as to your motivations.  You've made them clear.  You insist upon conspiracy theories,  plain as day.  That's what you demanded that others explain, repeatedly, as though this were an explanation of the mythicist position....which it is not.

What historical evidence?  Wait, wait, don't tell me "the bible says......"...................

I'm not insisting on anything... In light of you providing your position, I am saying that is normally what I have found.   If you would like to provide your reasons, which contradict that experience, then I have been inviting you to do so.

And yes, I do believe what the bible says that others saw and reported on, is evidence (as well as the surrounding history).  I'm not saying, that every claim is true (there is more to it than that), but if you are going to deny this type of evidence out of hand, then I find you asking for evidence over the internet to be rather silly.
(October 2, 2016 at 3:54 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 2, 2016 at 2:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: No one -needs- to guess as to your motivations.  You've made them clear.  You insist upon conspiracy theories,  plain as day.  That's what you demanded that others explain, repeatedly, as though this were an explanation of the mythicist position....which it is not.

What historical evidence?  Wait, wait, don't tell me "the bible says......"...................

I'm not insisting on anything... In light of you providing your position, I am saying that is normally what I have found.   If you would like to provide your reasons, which contradict that experience, then I have been inviting you to do so.

And yes, I do believe what the bible says that others saw and reported on, is evidence (as well as the surrounding history).  I'm not saying, that every claim is true (there is more to it than that), but if you are going to deny this type of evidence out of hand, then I find you asking for evidence over the internet to be rather silly.
Excellent, than we'll hear no more conspiracy nonsense..right?  What, then, is your objection to the mythicist position...again? I can do nothing -other- than deny that "evidence" out of hand. Because I, for my part, insist on rational argumentation. That is the claim, not the evidence.
(October 2, 2016 at 3:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(October 2, 2016 at 3:54 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I'm not insisting on anything... In light of you providing your position, I am saying that is normally what I have found.   If you would like to provide your reasons, which contradict that experience, then I have been inviting you to do so.

Excellent, than we'll hear no more conspiracy nonsense..right?  What, then, is your objection to the mythicist position...again? I can do nothing -other- than deny that "evidence" out of hand. Because I, for my part, insist on rational argumentation. That is the claim, not the evidence.

Same position..... and waiting on your rational argumentation.
I'm sorry, of what, that stories of magical men are mythical?  Or that the story of this particular magic man is mythical? Which of those two statements would you disagree with most strenuously?
(October 2, 2016 at 5:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I'm sorry, of what, that stories of magical men are mythical?  Or that the story of this particular magic man is mythical? Which of those two statements would you disagree with most strenuously?

I thought that we where talking about The position of Jesus as a myth. And I am looking for whatever position you are putting forth.... but from your question, I gather, that your position is not based on logic and reason, or any evidence, rather than pre-supposing the conclusion in the premise.
So neither, you wouldn't like to be seen arguing against either statement.  Well, excellent., we're done here.  Myth it is.

(it's always the same with you lot, that we assume this or that is just as much straw as the conspiracy bullshit but you cannot -do- anything other than pitch straw and bleat "the bible says" to begin with)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Dawkins prefers church bells to "aggressive-sounding Allahu Akbar" Alexmahone 12 1276 July 20, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Poll: Christians, is this man a hero or a Grinch in your eyes? Mystical 27 3545 December 19, 2016 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Mystical
  The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins Czechlervitz30 22 3843 October 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  Analogy of the...Football? Aegon 1 872 February 15, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Richard Dawkins Dies... Broseph Ballin 8 2069 August 15, 2014 at 2:20 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Amazing interview with Richard Dawkins and George Coyne Freedom of thought 2 1794 April 21, 2014 at 4:56 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  A Simple Analogy ChildOfReason 6 3578 November 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
Video Richard Dawkins - Flying Horses & Splitting The Moon Woody68 2 2347 May 6, 2013 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ignore the hero - thank God! Welsh cake 15 4164 April 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Richard Dawkins applauds my channel + Help needed TheIslammiracle 2 1660 March 14, 2011 at 11:50 am
Last Post: TheIslammiracle