Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of "Connection" to something higher - is this holding atheism back?
Lack of "Connection" to something higher - is this holding atheism back?
Hey all,
Like most atheists, I would love for people to stop believing in the unfounded and superstitious beliefs of religion. However, debating people and propagating the irrationality of religion obviously isn't enough- to quote Dr. House, "if you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people." The reason people stick with religion is because it fulfills an emotional need So, why haven't we created a secular alternative to religion which fulfills those needs?

Most people desire a sense of purpose, community, and "connection" to something higher than themselves. Religion conveniently provides all of those things in one package, which is why people will join them. I mean, why do kids of secularists become religious? Instilling free thinking isn't enough for some people.

Since atheism is simply the lack of belief in God/Gods, we shouldn't try to make something like an "atheist church" - the term atheism shouldn't become associated with an institution or dogma. Yet at the same time feel-good "believe whatever you want" secular-type alternatives for atheists like the Unitarian Universalist church are unappealing because they lack conviction and a unified purpose.

So, basically, I'm wondering if there are secular organizations that people could join which could fulfill the emotional needs many people have that keeps them stuck in religion. If not, why do you think we haven't created such an alternative to religion?

I'm trying to refine my thoughts on this issue, so any constructive critiques you have on possible holes in my thinking is definitely welcome.
RE: Lack of "Connection" to something higher - is this holding atheism back?
You mean like book clubs and hobby workshops? hehehehe.

I'd be willing to wager that I have mystical experiences and the sense of the numinous as often in frequency, and at as great a "level" the most die hard theist. There's no monopoly on that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I just want to be held-not held back.
Trying to update my sig ...
Most atheists seem too independent to pin down into a "Church." I think that Religion creates its own emotional needs as an illusion to give themselves more power.
You must first be convinced that you are a degenerate sinner, before you can begin to feel a desire for redemption from the god who judged you as such. Talk about bootstrapping yourself into a con eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I just joined a few forums to shoot the breeze with other atheists, that's enough for me.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Ultimately I don't care what people believe or don't believe in.

I'd be happy if just for one moment if everyone on the planet, every capable mind that is, could simply question their core-beliefs and care whether or not they are true. I would like to see the general public care if their beliefs are justified, and investigate if they're supported by verifiable evidence, logic and sound reasoning...

Wait!

I'm not done riding the winged marshmallow! Don't skip to the next post! I haven't even reached the Sherbet Kingdom yet! ;_;
I've definitely wished there was something, a congregation if you will, that was church-like in that it provided the same outlet that a church does, but minus the religious part. I get most of my socializing done on various internet forums, but they're not a replacement for real-life socializing, at least not for me.

I think I've always assumed there might be something like this in large cities. Perhaps that's a wrong assumption?
It may be a little simplistic of me, but to my mind creating an alternative to religion in the sense the op is suggesting is rather like curing someone of some disease then wondering what other disease to inject them with. Of course, it may be that some organised form of religious deprogramming, akin to a halfway house or drug rehab clinic, could be worth consideration but I'm not sure if this is in line with what was being asked. Food for thought at least.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I always hated church and never felt I was any part of it, so I have no emotioinal void leftoever from deciding not to be a christian. And vI find that the greatest emotional support comes from within, by understanding and controlling your emotion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is PeTA atheist or something of a humanist? BananaFlambe 11 766 December 4, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3015 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5212 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22083 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The connection of atheism and isis macgyver151 43 9334 December 11, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Discipline/lack of and atheism Azu 189 54775 June 19, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27115 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1946 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7772 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Your lack of imagination is your defeat Little Rik 357 44956 July 27, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet